GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

iPod 4th Gen & GS 350 compatability

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 05:31 AM
RandallsGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face iPod 4th Gen & GS 350 compatability

I've searched this website both in the electronics area & this thread but came up empty. If there is something on this already, please point me to it & move this thread accordingly...THANKS!

My question...does anyone have a 4th gen iPod & got it to work successfully hooking up via the USB port? The manual states it's compatabile but everytime I hook it up car audio returns an error msg: "No music files found". So I know the system is recognizing my connection but it's not reading my music. (Yes, there IS music on the iPod...for those wondering) ;-)

Anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you remedy? Thanks!
Old 10-09-12, 08:13 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RandallsGS
I've searched this website both in the electronics area & this thread but came up empty. If there is something on this already, please point me to it & move this thread accordingly...THANKS!

My question...does anyone have a 4th gen iPod & got it to work successfully hooking up via the USB port? The manual states it's compatabile but everytime I hook it up car audio returns an error msg: "No music files found". So I know the system is recognizing my connection but it's not reading my music. (Yes, there IS music on the iPod...for those wondering) ;-)

Anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you remedy? Thanks!
You didn't say the model (i.e. nano, touch, classic). I have a 4G nano and it works fine. I also hooked up a touch (not sure of the gen but I think it's one model back), and it worked fine. Does your iPod show that it's connected to the car? It should disable its controls and show a static screen. Also, did you try another cable?
Old 10-09-12, 10:01 AM
RandallsGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusGSFGO
You didn't say the model (i.e. nano, touch, classic). I have a 4G nano and it works fine. I also hooked up a touch (not sure of the gen but I think it's one model back), and it worked fine. Does your iPod show that it's connected to the car? It should disable its controls and show a static screen. Also, did you try another cable?
Whoops...you're right. Sorry about that. It's an iPod Classic. No didn't try another cable because the one I tried was brand new...but I'll give it a whirl. It did show it was connected just like it does when I'm connected to my PC.
Old 10-10-12, 08:16 AM
RandallsGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by RandallsGS
Whoops...you're right. Sorry about that. It's an iPod Classic. No didn't try another cable because the one I tried was brand new...but I'll give it a whirl. It did show it was connected just like it does when I'm connected to my PC.
Tried a different cable...no change.

The good news is my son's iTouch & the wifes Nano both worked fine.
Old 06-12-13, 06:41 AM
dlowe4base
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same problem with an iPod 4th generation Classic in a 2013 IS 250. Recognizes that something is connected via USB, but says no music files found.

Dealer is telling me that the iPod is too old; that the software release in the iPod isn't supported by the system in the car. I don't believe that they have really researched it, since the person they had talking to me could barely explain what was going on.

I plan to pursue via Lexus North America to see if there is a firmware update which can be pushed to the audio system to fix the problem.
Old 06-12-13, 07:32 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My iPod Classic "brick" works okay except the battery doesn't hold a charge but for an hour or so. During the week when I use the GS it connects via USB just fine, but on Monday morning I need to wait until the old thing get's a little charge to it.

What I've noticed is a popping or clicking noise during playback. The same songs on my iPad or laptop don't have that same noise.
Old 06-12-13, 08:05 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No problems with my 3rd and 4th Gen iPod Touch.
Old 06-12-13, 08:46 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

weird, I have no problems on my 3rd gen. ( i think its a 3rd gen....) i know its the first and I know its the 4th - no cameras)
try a friends ipod and see what happens... you could also try restoring it.
Old 06-12-13, 07:51 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My Nano works fine, but it cuts out at least once per day. Audio Off comes on and I have to unplug and plug it back in. Sometimes I have to reboot the iPod before it will work. Sometimes it goes right back to the song that was playing and other times it goes to the first song on the list. I've heard ABC's "The Look of Love" so many times I'm ready to delete it. It's getting really annoying.
Old 06-12-13, 10:59 PM
PSteele
Driver School Candidate

For those of you with hard drive based iPods, I believe the issue maybe the file format. I'm assuming that the GS can read NTFS (or Windows formatted iPods) but probably doesn't read HFS+ (Mac formatted ones).

This isn't an issue with the flash based ipods like nanos and touch's. FYI
Old 06-13-13, 03:08 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
My Nano works fine, but it cuts out at least once per day. Audio Off comes on and I have to unplug and plug it back in. Sometimes I have to reboot the iPod before it will work. Sometimes it goes right back to the song that was playing and other times it goes to the first song on the list. I've heard ABC's "The Look of Love" so many times I'm ready to delete it. It's getting really annoying.
If you're having trouble with drop outs and a slow response through the iPod interface, flip the option in the car to disable retrieving album art. That fixed all of my issues with my iPod classic.
Old 06-13-13, 08:12 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PSteele
For those of you with hard drive based iPods, I believe the issue maybe the file format. I'm assuming that the GS can read NTFS (or Windows formatted iPods) but probably doesn't read HFS+ (Mac formatted ones).

This isn't an issue with the flash based ipods like nanos and touch's. FYI
Could you expand on this please? Just how and when is an iPod file system formatted? Isn't the iPod managed through Apple's iTunes program which runs on both Windows and OSX? Are you saying the Windows iTunes formats its iPod differently than a Mac does for its associated iPods? Where do you find evidence for your theory of iPod file format differences due to host system? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Old 06-13-13, 08:57 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Hard drive or solid state matters when it comes to file formats. The OS doesn't know or cares if it has moving parts or not. iPods are either formatted as FAT32 for Windows or HFS+ for Mac. I don't think iPODs support NTFS yet, but I could be wrong.

I'd check to see if it is formatted for Fat32 or HFS+. Still shouldn't matter though as the iPod software reads both. All the audio system is doing is interfacing with the iPOD software. Sorry, I'm such a geek. LOL