GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2012 Lexus Navigation Maps Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 06:42 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The maps in my car seem to be quite accurate. I doubt if the minor changes after one year would be that significant. I see no reason to update them after just 1 or 2 years.
Old 10-11-12, 01:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I don't disagree that a lot goes into an update but, then, how can Garmin offer lifetime updates for around $75? Lexus and other automakers are just sticking it to the consumer IMHO.
The Garmin lifetime updates do not apply to vehicles with built in Garmin nav. I have built in Garmin nav in the Jeep and guess what the update costs? $150.

Lexus doesn't create the map database, they purchase the map database from different companies. They have to pay those companies for the data, set the data up so it works with Lexus' proprietary navigation system, test and roll it out for functionality, market it, disseminate it to the dealerships, and install it into the customer's vehicles. Very different from Garmin who only has one type of system, when all they do is navigation and can update navigation systems plugged into the customer's computer.

I don't have a problem paying for the data, where you have to be careful is with the install. Lexus of Rockville wants $260 on top of the $165, which is absolutely insane. Thats a individual dealer thing though, Lexus of Silver Spring only charges $60.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-11-12 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-11-12, 01:27 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

just spoke to a techie at lexus, was told the map update changes is not significant. 2013 GS or any 2013 lexus doesn't need them. so from our brief convo,,, if you want to waste your money get the map.
Old 10-11-12, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I wouldn't update them from 2011 to 2012. I've had Lexus nav for a long time. My previous 2003 ES300 was updated once about 2006, and still has the same maps and its not an issue. The only reason I would consider updating mine is because of a roadway that was just built in my area that doesn't appear on my 2010 ES, which has 2009 maps.
Old 10-11-12, 02:20 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
just spoke to a techie at lexus, was told the map update changes is not significant. 2013 GS or any 2013 lexus doesn't need them. so from our brief convo,,, if you want to waste your money get the map.
Haha alright, I wasn't planning on updating anyway if my car didn't come with the update, but now I feel better about it.
Old 10-11-12, 05:52 PM
Nexifer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my car 2 months ago and I'm telling the manager to install the new maps gratis. I bought a 2013 car with 2011 maps. I don't think asking for current map database is out of order. Already spoke to the salesman and he agrees. Besides, I reported a routing error to them last month which may be corrected with the update. I'll let you know how it goes, but I do know I'm not paying a nickel. Matter of principle!
Old 10-12-12, 06:19 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Lexus should provide "free" navigation database updates for at least the first year of ownership. I think it's ridiculous to ask me to pay another $170 after owning the vehicle for only six months.

The fact that the navigation database update can't be installed by the owner is another issue. I was able to install my own MyFord Touch updates, which included new map data on my Edge. Why should I pay to have a technician to insert a flash memory stick in the on-board USB slot and click "Software Update" on a screen?
Old 10-12-12, 10:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
Lexus should provide "free" navigation database updates for at least the first year of ownership. I think it's ridiculous to ask me to pay another $170 after owning the vehicle for only six months.

The fact that the navigation database update can't be installed by the owner is another issue. I was able to install my own MyFord Touch updates, which included new map data on my Edge. Why should I pay to have a technician to insert a flash memory stick in the on-board USB slot and click "Software Update" on a screen?
if you ever think it's that easy, i suggest you search the threads in the ls460 forum and how extensive the process is, before making claims

i agree lexus made up a very complicated procedure, but you know what, that's also their way in successfully avoid any kind of software piracy. no one with 2010+ lexus that i know of have been able to update their map data illegally. any previous lexus models with dvd nav system? let's no go there
Old 10-13-12, 04:32 AM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I recommend anyone not happy with their navigation/map data to submit feedback here:
http://lexusnavigation.com/index.php
Old 10-13-12, 08:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Outrage
But you don't need to update the maps after only 6 months...its not like your maps are all of a sudden worthless.

Why should I pay to have a technician to insert a flash memory stick in the on-board USB slot and click "Software Update" on a screen?
I really think this is due to piracy...
Old 10-13-12, 09:14 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
The Garmin lifetime updates do not apply to vehicles with built in Garmin nav. I have built in Garmin nav in the Jeep and guess what the update costs? $150.
You're quite right in that the lifetime update I purchased is for a NUVI 700 portable unit. I suspect the cost is predicated on professionals (real estate agents, etc.) who are able to write the update off as a business expense and not the average "joe consumer" who wants to stay current. I still stand by my assertion that car companies, including Lexus, are putting the screws to people who want/need update.
Old 10-13-12, 03:03 PM
GVVTS
Rookie

Just an FYI; map updates for the Gen 7 system will not be available until the beginning of next year. It is bundled with system firmware and Gracenote update.
Old 10-13-12, 03:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
You're quite right in that the lifetime update I purchased is for a NUVI 700 portable unit. I suspect the cost is predicated on professionals (real estate agents, etc.) who are able to write the update off as a business expense and not the average "joe consumer" who wants to stay current. I still stand by my assertion that car companies, including Lexus, are putting the screws to people who want/need update.
Nobody is forcing you to update the system, and nobody is forcing you to purchase the navigation option when you buy the car at the outset.
Old 10-13-12, 03:28 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Nobody is forcing you to update the system, and nobody is forcing you to purchase the navigation option when you buy the car at the outset.
So why are you so "supportive" of Lexus sticking it to us?
Old 10-15-12, 07:17 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
if you ever think it's that easy, i suggest you search the threads in the ls460 forum and how extensive the process is, before making claims
What is the installation procedure used on the 2013 Lexus GS 350? I'm sure someone on this forum can post this information. This would be useful for determining the labor, and consequently the cost, required in addition to the initial purchase price for this database update.

Quick Reply: 2012 Lexus Navigation Maps Update