GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

emergency trunk release safety problem..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 08:06 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gumdo2000
what was I thinking, we do live in kidnap capital of the world and we all know the kidnaper like to use lexus because faulty trunk release design... come on if your so afraid you should never go out your door. You have a better chance of getting hit by airplane. OMG HOW DID WE EVER DRIVER BEFORE THEY STARTED PUTTING IN TRUNK RELEASE!
If child safety door lock didn't work on your car, would you be concerned? I've never had kids try to open the door while the car was in motion, but I sure as heck want to know if the child safety door locks wouldn't work in the rare event that a kid tries to open the door

Thankfully, I've never had my airbags go off - yet. But if I get into an accident, I sure hope it works. The fact that a safety mechanism doesn't get used often shouldn't mean that it is acceptable for it to not work.

Its strange how CR doesn't mention anything about faulty fuel pump system on the BMW (this was a problem for years) and the main crankshaft failure on new 5 series.
I have no affiliation with CR, but a simple google search shows that CR doesn't seem to patronize BMWs

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...ed-to-bmw.html
http://news.consumerreports.org/safe...e-problem.html
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...ssing-air.html
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...g-machine.html

So I guess not being able to get out their trunk way more important then your engine giving out and be stuck on the middle of the frwy?
Umm... yeah... being stuck in a trunk definitely is more scarier to me than being stuck on a freeway. Or worse, being stuck in the trunk of a car that is stuck on a freeway!

Originally Posted by mehran888
Hey guys while you feel that CR is ragging on Lexus here, it is in the consumers best interest that they find these faults. I for one am happy they called it out and hope Lexus issues a recall to address it. Even if the chance of my child getting locked in my trunk is a thousandth of a percent, I'm all for improving the likelihood that he'll get out if it does happen.
Exactly...
If there is a problem with my car (however minor/major), I definitely want to know about it. I don't want to be a proverbial ostrich with its head stuck in the ground insisting that everything is A-OK
Old 10-14-12, 08:17 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

So as I was washing my car yesterday, I tested the trunk latch. I have no idea how the ES is set up but on the GS, there is only one way to pull the latch. If you pull it down, yeah it'll likely break. The way CR made it sound was that the latch could be pulled towards the driver or passenger...that is not possible in the GS.
Old 10-14-12, 08:23 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wouldn't it be a simple fix for Lexus to simply replace the breakable plastic handle with one that was made out of lightweight aluminum?
Old 10-14-12, 08:51 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
So as I was washing my car yesterday, I tested the trunk latch. I have no idea how the ES is set up but on the GS, there is only one way to pull the latch. If you pull it down, yeah it'll likely break. The way CR made it sound was that the latch could be pulled towards the driver or passenger...that is not possible in the GS.
I noticed this from watching the video...seems a decent amount of force is what broke the plastic also. I don't disagree with them testing for the sake of safety but IMO this test is BS and is not accurate. So in the Lexus you can only pull in one direction to release. Are you able to pull in more then one direction in the other cars they tested
Old 12-13-12, 10:12 AM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently, a fix for this will be available next month. Look out for a notification in the mail.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...is-and-gs.html
Old 12-13-12, 11:42 AM
stick22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe they can throw in an automatic trunk closing mechanism for our trouble
Old 12-13-12, 12:13 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stick22
maybe they can throw in an automatic trunk closing mechanism for our trouble