GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Any wandering from gusty winds with Sandy hitting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-12, 03:45 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any wandering from gusty winds with Sandy hitting?

I am feeling the gusty winds pushing my car left and right on the highway at times requiring me to use 2 hands to hold my GS F-sport in the lane. It did not ever do this before with the regular 19 inch wheels and tires that much. But again, I have my winter sets on right now and not sure if that is part of the problem. Can anyone chime in on how they felt today on the highway from the midwest to the eastern seaboard? The wind gusts were up to 30 mph for me.
Old 10-29-12, 04:21 PM
Chrisr61
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to answer your question Rexus, but I live in southern NJ and am presently getting smacked by Sandy. I can say my GS is safe and sound and not moving at all in the parking lot next door to my house. Plus there's a state of emergency in the try state area which means no driving except for essential personnel. Maybe/hopefully someone else can answer your question.
Old 10-29-12, 05:16 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

REX we are getting 90 mph winds here in N.Y. my car is safe in the garage. glad you got home safe. it is ridiculous here. went out the front door to see sparks and pops from the power lines around the corner. some parts of BK and QNS are getting hit hard. downed trees major flooding downed power lines. i'm staying my *** in the house. stay off the highways REX.
Old 10-29-12, 05:57 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

I am going to work close by tomorrow (only 2 miles from home) so its a good thing I dont have to drive far but still its dangerous.
Old 10-29-12, 06:15 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
REX we are getting 90 mph winds here in N.Y. my car is safe in the garage. glad you got home safe. it is ridiculous here. went out the front door to see sparks and pops from the power lines around the corner. some parts of BK and QNS are getting hit hard. downed trees major flooding downed power lines. i'm staying my *** in the house. stay off the highways REX.
Stay in and stay safe, bro.

We're all praying for you guys out East. Post some pics, if you can see out the window.
Old 10-29-12, 07:36 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vasili
Stay in and stay safe, bro.

We're all praying for you guys out East. Post some pics, if you can see out the window.
went out for you Vasili to get some pics. this is around the corner from my house.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76804690@N05/8137159099/http://www.flickr.com/photos/76804690@N05/8137159099/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/76804690@N05/, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76804690@N05/8137188570/http://www.flickr.com/photos/76804690@N05/8137188570/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/76804690@N05/, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76804690@N05/8137156887/http://www.flickr.com/photos/76804690@N05/8137156887/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/76804690@N05/, on Flick

i kept hearing the creaking sounds from the stress of the trees leaning on power lines lines and also the trees themselves creaking. when i heard that i ran my *** back in the house. you owe me a beer Vasili cars are literally under water (the whole car) and there is no East River Drive it's totally under water.
Old 10-29-12, 08:09 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

went out for you Vasili to get some pics. this is around the corner from my house.

i kept hearing the creaking sounds from the stress of the trees leaning on power lines lines and also the trees themselves creaking. when i heard that i ran my *** back in the house. you owe me a beer Vasili cars are literally under water (the whole car) and there is no East River Drive it's totally under water.
OMG!
I didn't mean for you to risk your life. Out the window pics would have been sufficient.

For this, I owe you a case of beer, dude! I'm glad your GS is safe and sound. Wow.

So, I guess you won't be going to work tomorrow? At least, you still have electricity, right?
Old 10-29-12, 08:25 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

OMG!
I didn't mean for you to risk your life. Out the window pics would have been sufficient.

For this, I owe you a case of beer, dude! I'm glad your GS is safe and sound. Wow.

So, I guess you won't be going to work tomorrow? At least, you still have electricity, right?
yeah V me and my family are good. we have lights and all... actually we got off easy, other people in the area weren't so lucky. no work for me tomorrow. BTW i don't drink anything stronger than Juice so i'll take a case of Sobe.
Old 10-29-12, 09:02 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah V me and my family are good. we have lights and all... actually we got off easy, other people in the area weren't so lucky. no work for me tomorrow. BTW i don't drink anything stronger than Juice so i'll take a case of Sobe.
Haha shiet, same here cant handle anything harder then OJ. I got tipsy off eating some rum and Raisin ice cream no kidding. Back on topic, my car is stable today with strong winds. Put it on sport+ it will stiffen the suspension and that should help.
Old 10-29-12, 09:30 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

No problem. Sobe it is. Good to hear the family's fine. Same here. It's almost 11:30 and I still can't sleep. These damn hotel beds and pillows suck. We go home tomorrow. Nashville has been fun, but I'm ready to go home. We met Dave Ramsey today and we were on his syndicated radio show.
Good times. Opryland hotel is pretty amazing. Should have brought my own pillow though.

Not looking forward to flying tomorrow. We will have high winds and I hate airplanes. The other day was my first flight in 12 years. I'm getting too old for this crap.

Oh, apologies to Rexus300 for high jacking the thread.
Old 10-29-12, 10:17 PM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem. Sobe it is. Good to hear the family's fine. Same here. It's almost 11:30 and I still can't sleep. These damn hotel beds and pillows suck. We go home tomorrow. Nashville has been fun, but I'm ready to go home. We met Dave Ramsey today and we were on his syndicated radio show.
Good times. Opryland hotel is pretty amazing. Should have brought my own pillow though.

Not looking forward to flying tomorrow. We will have high winds and I hate airplanes. The other day was my first flight in 12 years. I'm getting too old for this crap.

Oh, apologies to Rexus300 for high jacking the thread.
I'm sure Rexus300 won't mind.

Stay safe, all of you up in the North east. Good luck!
Old 10-29-12, 10:20 PM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I am feeling the gusty winds pushing my car left and right on the highway at times requiring me to use 2 hands to hold my GS F-sport in the lane. It did not ever do this before with the regular 19 inch wheels and tires that much. But again, I have my winter sets on right now and not sure if that is part of the problem. Can anyone chime in on how they felt today on the highway from the midwest to the eastern seaboard? The wind gusts were up to 30 mph for me.
We had some 15-25 mph winds recently went a cold front pushed through, and I didn't feel any wind buffeting in my GS. I have the OEM Dunlop shoes...
Old 10-29-12, 11:16 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

My prayers go out to all those in the States currently experiencing Sandy.

Stay safe guys......
Old 10-30-12, 05:52 AM
Mi1lion
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, that's a pretty big tree to be uprooted like that and literally buried into the cement. I have family up in BK and I know that they got it really bad also. Now onto my wind story.

Going across Alligator Ally this weekend here in south florida, I got HUGE gusts. It was a constant adjustment/correction of the wheel the whole time. It also didn't help that at times I switched into Sport+ and pushed her up to 140-150ish to hear the newly installed Magnaflow custom exhaust screaming ~ Yes, I know speeding is frowned upon and this is why I got the Solo S3 and NO ONE was around or in front of me at these times. And yes, I did say 140-150ish as around that point I was drag limited by the 10-20mph headwind. The reason why I say this is because it was still pushing at that point. Unlike Audi, I think Lexus actually achieves the max mph stated on the speedo. It's not overally exaggerated, unlike the "other guys" that state 180MPH on a 4cyl Turbo that weighs nearly 2 tons...
Old 10-30-12, 01:14 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

No worries about hijacking the thread. The winds have slowed down here and I have driven more on the highway and the wandering was not there as much. Its nothing compared to yesterday so its really the strong wind gust we had.

Quick Reply: Any wandering from gusty winds with Sandy hitting?