GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Reg. Gas ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 02:21 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Reg. Gas ???

have had a quarter tank of gas since sandy ran through here. been out since and to no avail. went out today and after an hour of driving at 20/30 miles an hour, i was down to 15 mile cruising range. found a short line on the VanWyck expressway and got into the line. halfway there i realized the gas station was named Gas Emporium, mind you i only use BP 93. i figured i'd put in 40/50 dollars premium. got to the tank 30/45 minutes later to find out cash only and they only had regular. i was pissed to say the least. i had no choice so i put in $40.00 reg. will the regular gas harm the engine? i won't put it in anymore, i'll run it out and hope i can find some premium gas. should i be concerned with the reg. gas in my car.
Old 11-08-12, 02:30 PM
Mi1lion
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just keep an ear out for knocking, and take it easy. The whole "Suck, Bang, Blow" process will most likely be hindered, but at least you can still drive. I would just pretend your in "Limp Mode". If it was me, I would also try and get my hands on some octane booster to increase your points a bit.
Old 11-08-12, 02:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it won't harm, the computer will retard the timing if needed. just go back to premium when you get a chance
Old 11-08-12, 02:54 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will be fine. The knock sensors will pick up on the lower octane fuel and the ECU should adjust the timing for the lower octane gas. You may notice reduced performance or reduced gas mileage because of that. Once you get a chance just fill up with premium again and you should be good to go. Maybe run a bottle of fuel cleaner with the next fill up if you really are worried about it. Believe it or not there are actually people that run regular gas everyday instead of the required premium, lol.
Old 11-08-12, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Yep. it'll be just fine. You gotta do what you gotta do...
Old 11-08-12, 02:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Desperate needs call for desperate measures. Most modern cars can adjust themselves to compensate for a lower octane. So yes its ok, though I wouldn't do it for a prolonged period of time
Old 11-08-12, 03:23 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

thanx fellas... appreciate all the replies. i will not put regular in my tank again(even though i wasn't planning on doing so anyway). it's like giving your newborn bootleg soda, it's bugging me. you guys said i'll be fine and i believe you. this is the first and last time i ever use reg. in my car.
Old 11-08-12, 06:46 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

For the past nineteen years and 120,000 miles, I have run my SC400 on regular gas. Premium is recommended. I get 23-24 MPG, and I have had no mechanical issues. I have used premium in my GS350 for the past six months, but I am tempted to move to regular. I suspect that few will agree with this opinion.
Old 11-08-12, 06:47 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

You'll be good. I'll add another suggestion (but welcome other members to refute it if I'm wrong) - as over a decade ago a family member made the mistake of filling my dad's car with regular. Back then, when the car was just over half tank, we filled it up with the highest octane. Then we repeated this 2-3 times whenever it got to half tank. The idea being that it was better to drive a tank or two at a blended octane rather than a full tank at a regular octane.
Old 11-08-12, 06:59 PM
sugzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As others already mentioned, you'll be ok. On another note, its much easier to get gas in NJ. There are hardly any lines. I live in Brooklyn and the lines for gas are ridiculous.
Old 11-08-12, 07:50 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sugzz
As others already mentioned, you'll be ok. On another note, its much easier to get gas in NJ. There are hardly any lines. I live in Brooklyn and the lines for gas are ridiculous.
try coming to queens.
Old 11-08-12, 07:51 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mehran888
You'll be good. I'll add another suggestion (but welcome other members to refute it if I'm wrong) - as over a decade ago a family member made the mistake of filling my dad's car with regular. Back then, when the car was just over half tank, we filled it up with the highest octane. Then we repeated this 2-3 times whenever it got to half tank. The idea being that it was better to drive a tank or two at a blended octane rather than a full tank at a regular octane.
so if i get down to a quarter tank i can fill up with premium?
Old 11-08-12, 08:22 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
so if i get down to a quarter tank i can fill up with premium?
Yeah, if my theory is "right" (which it very may well not be), you should regularly top it up with premium. If you do it every time you hit 3/4s a tank, all the better. That's if my theory is right .
Old 11-08-12, 10:42 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mehran888
Yeah, if my theory is "right" (which it very may well not be), you should regularly top it up with premium. If you do it every time you hit 3/4s a tank, all the better. That's if my theory is right .
IDK M... i've never mixed different grades of gas. sounds kind of iffy. theoretically your theory has me scratching my head . i'll run the reg. out and by then the gas situation here should be a little better, then i'll fill her up with BP 93.
Old 11-09-12, 01:36 AM
akutob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been putting regular in my F Sport for 2 months, Dealership told me it would be fine. My company pays for gas via fleet card and will only pay for regular unleaded. (tried sneaking mid a few times but it was caught ) The first week i used supreme but do not feel any difference on power nor knocking noises.

Put regular in my 07 GS, 07 M35 sport, 06 FX and all ran like champs.

actually M35 has 168,000 miles and not one issue, knock on wood.

Obviously this is allot higher performance vehicle and if I continue running regular gas will there be any permanent damage?

Quick Reply: Reg. Gas ???