GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 12:36 AM
jmiranda
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I originally used the mountek cd slot phone mount holder and wasnt happy how it blocked certain things on the dash. I started looking at other mount set ups and noticed things were still blocked. I have had panavise custom brackets for some of my other car but they dont make it for the 4gs so i decided to give it a shot at making my own. This is what my first attempt came up with. I can see everything on the hvac and stereo controls as well as have full use of my cup holders.

Old 05-24-19, 12:38 AM
jmiranda
Driver School Candidate

Still being displeased with my set up i decided to make a reverse mount to the other side of the cup holders and ditched the magnet set up for a phone clip mount.

Last edited by jmiranda; 05-24-19 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-09-19, 04:59 AM
Eaglefn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoder

I ordered the pro clip mount and put a magnetic mount on it. Works great and doesn’t reallly block anything. I can move/mount it anywhere along the center vents.
Yoder, I'm thinking of getting the same setup. My only concern is that it might cause permanent damage to the dash. When you remove the Proclip mount does it leave any permanent indentation or gap? How is this setup holding up for you? On a side note, can you wirelessly charge with at home with that magnet attached?
Old 06-25-19, 09:21 AM
4wilds
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading this thread I went online to mountek.com and ordered a Snap+.

Apparently that was a horrible mistake as I ordered it on 6/14/19 and it has been sitting in pending shipping status since. Used the one and only point of contact they offer and sent an email on 6/21/19, thus far no response. Come to find out this appears to be a common issue...

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/livermore/...198/complaints

Called the number on that site and it rings and then goes to VM (its a Google Voice number) left a VM but I am pretty certain I won't hear back. At this point I will have a discussion with my bank and see if I can get my money back.

Buyer beware, mountek is either no longer in business and not letting potential buyers know, or they are scamming people at this point.
Old 06-25-19, 06:55 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaglefn
Yoder, I'm thinking of getting the same setup. My only concern is that it might cause permanent damage to the dash. When you remove the Proclip mount does it leave any permanent indentation or gap? How is this setup holding up for you? On a side note, can you wirelessly charge with at home with that magnet attached?
i have the proclip setup. it does leave an indentation on the dash. doesn't creek or anything, but def noticeable. the mount slides a little more freely with pressure as a result.
Old 06-25-19, 07:05 PM
Yoder
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaglefn
I will check tomorrow and see if there is a gap or indentation. I haven’t taken off since I got it last August. I don’t use a wireless charge so I can help with that one.
Old 06-25-19, 10:12 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a little late to the thread, but the best holder I've used is from Pitaka (https://www.ipitaka.com/collections/magmount-qi). It has several different mounts and if you use their magcase, you can wirelessly charge at the same time. Mag holders with fast wireless charging capabilities are rare. I love it because I can just throw the phone on like a normal mag holder and it starts charging automatically, no worrying about cords, brackets, buttons. Super clean.
Old 07-29-19, 03:29 PM
JHGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB
Haha, yes my car is a bit dusty, I admit I should wipe it down more often. It's been about 100F daily recently so I haven't washed the car in 2 weeks or so.

Here's a pic with the phone mounted.

I've listed the mount on Shapeways for those of you who asked. I apologize that it costs so much, most of it is Shapeway's cost to print it, I'm making about $3 per mount. Maybe I can recoup some of the costs of printing the previous 3 versions and the dash scanning.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/YS...one-dash-mount

Let me know if you have any feedback!
Do you have any recommendations for a non-magnetic mount to use with your Shapeways dash piece? Like the iOttie or something similar and tear it partially apart?
Old 07-29-19, 08:59 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JHGS
Do you have any recommendations for a non-magnetic mount to use with your Shapeways dash piece? Like the iOttie or something similar and tear it partially apart?
I use one of these in my other car:
https://www.proclipusa.com/device/ph...-galaxy-note-9
If I didn't have the magnetic one already, I'd probably use this one.
The following users liked this post:
JHGS (07-31-19)
Old 08-05-19, 08:50 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by JHGS
I use this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MLZZ7KA/

It's absolutely fantastic: provides charge, works w cases, easy attach via 3M VHB to the shapeways mount bracket.
Old 10-23-19, 07:01 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Found the perfect spot for my phone! Since I never look at the clock...

Old 10-23-19, 08:36 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

I actually really like that idea. Does the magnet work behind a case?
Old 10-23-19, 09:18 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptRog21
I actually really like that idea. Does the magnet work behind a case?
Yes, that's exactly what I did, stuck on the back of my case. This is the best spot for me so far. Not blocking anything.
Old 10-24-19, 12:17 AM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

order mine earlier. I like the position but will probably "dry fit" it a few other places to see if I can spare the clock. Thanks for the idea.
Old 03-21-20, 05:51 PM
17GSRocks
Driver School Candidate

Default Shapeways cell phone mount

New (to me) 2017 GS 350 owner here. After reading through the excellent threads here on cell phone mounts, I decided to go with the Shapeways 3D printed mount coupled with a magnetic phone holder. I've been really pleased to date -- clean install, fully reversible, and great functionality.

Here are some pictures for those not familiar.

Here's the face of the Shapeways mount that faces the driver position.

Here's the side of the Shapeways mount that sits on the dash.

Here's the profile view of the Shapeways mount.

Shapeways mount with the VAVA Magnetic Phone Car Mount ($12 on Amazon).

The dash trim separates easily -- no tools required.

Side view of the Shapeways mount. You can see how well the contour matches the car. Secure fit.

Shapeways mount with the magnetic phone holder attached. Total install time < 10 minutes. Fully reversible if desired.

Holding a Galaxy S9. The magnetic attachment point on the phone can be adjusted to suit.

Here's the top view of the mount holding the S9. A perfect amount of clearance.

Here's the view from the driver position. Again, the height of the phone can be adjusted by changing the magnetic attachment point. I like it here.

Gratuitous inclusion of a photo of the $17 (for 4 on Amazon) Eogifee LED Car Door Courtesy lights. Quick 10 min mod that is cheap and good fun!

Thanks to chinee for the posts on the combination of the Shapeways mount and magnetic holder, and to DuB for creating the mount!

Last edited by 17GSRocks; 03-22-20 at 08:39 AM. Reason: adding reference to Dub
The following users liked this post:
mjo13 (01-10-23)

Quick Reply: 4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)