GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-21, 02:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,088 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I missed that one. Yep. thank you Sir!!
You bet - glad to help!
Old 10-21-21, 01:28 PM
damns0n
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i bought one the same day i posted my last comment. looks like it just left Poland yesterday. according to the seller, the route to USA is pretty difficult
Old 10-30-21, 07:23 PM
damns0n
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If I understood the seller's translation correctly, the package was shipped via icebreaker. totally worth the wait though

Old 11-03-21, 12:56 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,306 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by 17GSRocks
New (to me) 2017 GS 350 owner here. After reading through the excellent threads here on cell phone mounts, I decided to go with the Shapeways 3D printed mount coupled with a magnetic phone holder. I've been really pleased to date -- clean install, fully reversible, and great functionality.

Here are some pictures for those not familiar.

Here's the face of the Shapeways mount that faces the driver position.

Here's the side of the Shapeways mount that sits on the dash.

Here's the profile view of the Shapeways mount.

Shapeways mount with the VAVA Magnetic Phone Car Mount ($12 on Amazon).

The dash trim separates easily -- no tools required.

Side view of the Shapeways mount. You can see how well the contour matches the car. Secure fit.

Shapeways mount with the magnetic phone holder attached. Total install time < 10 minutes. Fully reversible if desired.

Holding a Galaxy S9. The magnetic attachment point on the phone can be adjusted to suit.

Here's the top view of the mount holding the S9. A perfect amount of clearance.

Here's the view from the driver position. Again, the height of the phone can be adjusted by changing the magnetic attachment point. I like it here.

Gratuitous inclusion of a photo of the $17 (for 4 on Amazon) Eogifee LED Car Door Courtesy lights. Quick 10 min mod that is cheap and good fun!

Thanks to chinee for the posts on the combination of the Shapeways mount and magnetic holder, and to DuB for creating the mount!
So I ordered this Shapeway mount just maybe about 6 days ago. It came fast even with the lowest cost shipping option. Also ordered a few different magnets from Amazon. All had 3m stick tape. It took all of 5 mins to install it. I really like this mount and would say we are so lucky to have had someone here make it for our car and another tell us and review and recommend it. I saw the info about it here months ago and don't know why I waited so long.

So for as easy as it is to install. How secure it is and easy to take you phone on and off. Its Not in the way of anything physically, nor does it block any GS instrument screen views, not in the way of any air blow from vents, no controls in the way. I love it! Also the #1 thing is that it's up high mounted and safer to look at driving and/or use a phone button. Reason I went against the others was they looked out of place and you would have to look down, eyes off road to use. This one is Great!!!

***** Only question I have is? Can this not be made without the holes? Guess those were screw options for mounts> The 3m tape if applied and surface cleaned is bounding perfect. Can this be designed and ordered Without the holes??****

Old 11-06-21, 06:42 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

So I ordered this Shapeway mount just maybe about 6 days ago. It came fast even with the lowest cost shipping option. Also ordered a few different magnets from Amazon. All had 3m stick tape. It took all of 5 mins to install it. I really like this mount and would say we are so lucky to have had someone here make it for our car and another tell us and review and recommend it. I saw the info about it here months ago and don't know why I waited so long.

So for as easy as it is to install. How secure it is and easy to take you phone on and off. Its Not in the way of anything physically, nor does it block any GS instrument screen views, not in the way of any air blow from vents, no controls in the way. I love it! Also the #1 thing is that it's up high mounted and safer to look at driving and/or use a phone button. Reason I went against the others was they looked out of place and you would have to look down, eyes off road to use. This one is Great!!!

***** Only question I have is? Can this not be made without the holes? Guess those were screw options for mounts> The 3m tape if applied and surface cleaned is bounding perfect. Can this be designed and ordered Without the holes??****
All mounts I've used have been at dash level or higher, reduces the time to look away when using Nav, Waze, and the like.

Holes are screw holes to offer versatility for different mounts, different devices (IIRC). You can try to cover the front surface of the mount with vinyl to hide the holes, around the base where the Louko is adhered, or try moving the point of adhesion to cover most of the holes. Once the phone is mounted though, it becomes pretty much a moot point.

Here's my new mount.
Components:

I just ordered a USB C cable to replace the USB A cable, hopefully to improve charge times. I did get in the other Magsafe mount to go with the original Magsafe charging puck, but will continue to use this setup for a couple of weeks to see how it performs. Here are pics of the finished product below. The backing plate is a little on the large side, but is moot once the phone is attached. The cable may seem to be coming from under the dash but it isn't. It's a 6ft cable that comes from the armrest, drops to the floor and runs up the side of the footwell. It's just snaked around like that to give the impression that it's coming from under the dash.

Old 11-06-21, 09:51 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Is the magnet in these mounts strong enough to hold a large/heavy phone (e.g., 7 inch screen and 0.7 lb) when the car goes over a large bump/pothole or uneven roads?
Old 11-06-21, 10:23 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bb700092
Is the magnet in these mounts strong enough to hold a large/heavy phone (e.g., 7 inch screen and 0.7 lb) when the car goes over a large bump/pothole or uneven roads?
Yes but get one with a extra strong labeled magnet and a large backing plate. They stick to the Magnet very well. The stronger magnet mounts are called N52 Magnets.

Last edited by jgscott; 11-06-21 at 10:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bb700092 (11-07-21)
Old 11-06-21, 10:37 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chinee
All mounts I've used have been at dash level or higher, reduces the time to look away when using Nav, Waze, and the like.

Holes are screw holes to offer versatility for different mounts, different devices (IIRC). You can try to cover the front surface of the mount with vinyl to hide the holes, around the base where the Louko is adhered, or try moving the point of adhesion to cover most of the holes. Once the phone is mounted though, it becomes pretty much a moot point.

Here's my new mount.
Components:

I just ordered a USB C cable to replace the USB A cable, hopefully to improve charge times. I did get in the other Magsafe mount to go with the original Magsafe charging puck, but will continue to use this setup for a couple of weeks to see how it performs. Here are pics of the finished product below. The backing plate is a little on the large side, but is moot once the phone is attached. The cable may seem to be coming from under the dash but it isn't. It's a 6ft cable that comes from the armrest, drops to the floor and runs up the side of the footwell. It's just snaked around like that to give the impression that it's coming from under the dash.

That's a good set up. I am hesitant because the past wireless car chargers I have tried just did not charge my iphone very fast, and heated up really Hot. In out Optima SX it has factory wireless charging and it charges slow and heats hot also.

Why don't you route that red cord in-between the dash panels to hide it but where it comes out to plug in the wireless puck? Turn it straight up, instead of down and hide it behind the phone? It's what I plan to do if wireless or just straight phone plug in. I also now only use good flat cords in Black in my car. They look better and are easier to run through things. The one I have sems to carry a good charge current and connectivity.

So also let me ask you something? If I use the wireless puck like you have for a iphone. Can I still input to the GS under armrest USB and connect to the infotainment system for like music and other? Without having to connect wireless to the Lexus infotainment system to play?

These are the cords I use in my cars.
Amazon Amazon

Looks like they have a USB C also in Flat Black.
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-06-21, 04:54 PM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by bb700092
I didn’t get any special magnets, my XS Max was easily supported over the last 2 years. Metal plate in the inside of the case was all it took.
bb700092 (11-07-21)
Old 11-06-21, 05:01 PM
chinee
Racer

That's a good set up. I am hesitant because the past wireless car chargers I have tried just did not charge my iphone very fast, and heated up really Hot. In out Optima SX it has factory wireless charging and it charges slow and heats hot also.

Why don't you route that red cord in-between the dash panels to hide it but where it comes out to plug in the wireless puck? Turn it straight up, instead of down and hide it behind the phone? It's what I plan to do if wireless or just straight phone plug in. I also now only use good flat cords in Black in my car. They look better and are easier to run through things. The one I have sems to carry a good charge current and connectivity.

So also let me ask you something? If I use the wireless puck like you have for a iphone. Can I still input to the GS under armrest USB and connect to the infotainment system for like music and other? Without having to connect wireless to the Lexus infotainment system to play?

These are the cords I use in my cars.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like they have a USB C also in Flat Black.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Typ...ECTRONIC_CABLE
I think you will have to connect via Bluetooth to the infotainment. And I’ll be utilizing a USBC to USBC charge cable, it supposedly carries a higher amperage and therefore faster charging.

Old 11-14-21, 10:15 AM
chinee
Racer

First attempt vs. 2nd... upgraded the cable from a USBA - USBC cable to a USBC cable for faster charging times, definitely improved.

Here's my next work-in-progress. Hoping to get optimum charge times by using the original Apple MagSafe charger. Thinking of a way to color the white cable black.
Old 03-15-22, 07:29 PM
DrunkFuX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmiranda
Still being displeased with my set up i decided to make a reverse mount to the other side of the cup holders and ditched the magnet set up for a phone clip mount.

Not sure if anyone is still checking this thread, but I was looking for something like that you have here in the GS, do you remember where/what mount this is? I'm looking for something that won't use the cup holders and slide/attach onto the side of the center console...
Old 04-05-22, 09:27 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chinee
First attempt vs. 2nd... upgraded the cable from a USBA - USBC cable to a USBC cable for faster charging times, definitely improved.

Here's my next work-in-progress. Hoping to get optimum charge times by using the original Apple MagSafe charger. Thinking of a way to color the white cable black.
@chinee Any update on the best way to do Rapid charge, wireless with a Magnet and the USB? How are you mixing the USB with the Apple/Lighting charger?

Also what Charge pod did you use that has a Magnet to stick with the Wireless charger? Thanks.
Old 04-07-22, 12:32 PM
NeilN
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB
Great pictures! I tried to make it as versatile as possible. I'm happy that you like it!
@DuB Im not sure if you’re still on here but I have a question regarding the mounting holes on the design. Or if anyone else that has it has the info I’d really appreciate the feedback. I just ordered mine yesterday and I’m so excited!

What are the specs of those holes? I’m trying to something big enough to cover all the holes. Would something like this work? What is the furnace area of the portion of the design where you’d mount the base?

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-11-22, 04:09 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

These are the specs of the holes. I modeled it after a mount I had at the time turned sideways and upright and also a mount that my friend had that had holes centered. Measurements are in mm

It looks like it will probably work as the holes are big. You'll probably have to use nuts, bolts, and washers to hold the bracket in place.

Last edited by DuB; 04-11-22 at 04:12 PM.
NeilN (04-11-22)

Quick Reply: 4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)