GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: Is your 4GS Alignment Out of Spec?
No.
55.56%
Yes, the alignment has been done.
33.33%
Yes, the alignment hasn't been done.
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Alignment Out of Spec?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 05:58 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Alignment Out of Spec?

After taking delivery of my 4GS, I've always noticed that going straight equates to 12:15 with the steering wheel (as opposed to 12 o'clock)

I've also noticed that the air bag isn't level with the steering column (12 o'clock) when the car is driving straight.

While detailing my car yesterday at ~6,500 miles, I noticed that the outside block of my front two Bridgestone ER33 235/45/18 tires are showing signs of cupping, indicating that my alignment is possibly out of spec.

Upon going through the Lexus Warranty Manual (Page 18), I notice that alignment is covered for 12 months/20k miles.

Anyone else have this issue with their alignment?
Old 11-22-12, 06:22 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah i had same issue but unlike you i had it fixed quickly at 1,000 miles. I know how a car is supposed to track and didnt wait.
Old 11-22-12, 06:25 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Yeah i had same issue but unlike you i had it fixed quickly at 1,000 miles. I know how a car is supposed to track and didnt wait.
How much was your alignment out of spec?
Old 11-22-12, 08:27 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have too much toe in on your front wheels.
I'd bring it in to the dealership and have them throw it on the rack and align it under warranty.

I had my 3GS' alignment done under warranty at around the one year mark.

Last edited by caveman; 11-23-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-22-12, 08:32 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by faifai83
How much was your alignment out of spec?
Quite bad on my left front causing a pull to the left in all the lanes of the highway. Check it out under the suspension forums for the 4GS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...for-gs350.html
Old 11-23-12, 06:37 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My car was pulling slightly to the right when new. They rotated the tires in an attempt to fix it. When that failed, they agreed to do a full alignment and it has been fine ever since.
Old 11-23-12, 07:20 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjm
My car was pulling slightly to the right when new. They rotated the tires in an attempt to fix it. When that failed, they agreed to do a full alignment and it has been fine ever since.
Was the car out of spec?
Old 11-23-12, 07:44 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by faifai83
Was the car out of spec?
Yes. Alignment specs attached below:
Attached Thumbnails Alignment Out of Spec?-gs350-alignment-specs.jpg  
Old 11-23-12, 07:47 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjm
Yes. Alignment specs attached below:
Wow, your total toe was out quite a bit. How many miles did you end up taking it in?
Old 11-23-12, 07:56 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

It only had a couple hundred miles on it. I didn't notice it on the initial test drive, but after I had it on the highway it was apparent that it was pulling to the right. I took the tech for a test drive and showed him how it gradually swerved to the right when i released the steering wheel on the highway and he got the message........fast. It took 2 trips to the dealership to get it on the alignment machine. They wanted to rotate the tires first because that is cheaper than an alignment. They finally agreed it needed to be re-aligned. As you can see, the alignment machine showed it to be out of alignment.
Old 11-23-12, 08:06 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjm
It only had a couple hundred miles on it. I didn't notice it on the initial test drive, but after I had it on the highway it was apparent that it was pulling to the right. I took the tech for a test drive and showed him how it gradually swerved to the right when i released the steering wheel on the highway and he got the message........fast. It took 2 trips to the dealership to get it on the alignment machine. They wanted to rotate the tires first because that is cheaper than an alignment. They finally agreed it needed to be re-aligned. As you can see, the alignment machine showed it to be out of alignment.
I see it. Did they get you a loaner?
Old 11-23-12, 08:09 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Nope. I waited for it I wanted to test drive it after it was done. The wait was only about an hour. Then we took it for a test drive. The difference was immediately apparent.

Edited to add: I notice your original complaint was with the steering wheel position. I asked the alignment guy if he would have to re-center my steering wheel after alignment (because it was perfect before alignment) and he said no, he would lock the steering wheel prior to the procedure so it wouldn't change. So they can just re-center your steering wheel if that's all you require.

Last edited by rjm; 11-23-12 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-23-12, 08:42 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjm
Nope. I waited for it I wanted to test drive it after it was done. The wait was only about an hour. Then we took it for a test drive. The difference was immediately apparent.

Edited to add: I notice your original complaint was with the steering wheel position. I asked the alignment guy if he would have to re-center my steering wheel after alignment (because it was perfect before alignment) and he said no, he would lock the steering wheel prior to the procedure so it wouldn't change. So they can just re-center your steering wheel if that's all you require.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm pretty sure my alignment is out because of the cupping on my front tires.

...in addition, my steering wheel is pointing slightly towards the right...
Old 11-23-12, 08:44 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

It happened on my 3 GS when I waited a bit too long. The tires will wear on the outside and the steering will tirlt to the right after a while and stay there because the tires were dragging the wheel that way while the alignment was tilted to the left. IT was very weird. I had to get all 4 tires replaced at 15k miles to better Michelins with 4WD alignment and it was all good until I sold car at 70k.
Old 11-23-12, 08:46 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rexus300
It happened on my 3 GS when I waited a bit too long. The tires will wear on the outside and the steering will tirlt to the right after a while and stay there because the tires were dragging the wheel that way while the alignment was tilted to the left. IT was very weird. I had to get all 4 tires replaced at 15k miles to better Michelins with 4WD alignment and it was all good until I sold car at 70k.
Were you able to get the alignment done under warranty?

Quick Reply: Alignment Out of Spec?