GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

A million and one rock chips.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-12, 06:25 PM
bentleymp2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A million and one rock chips.

Everytime a wash the car, I notice at least 6 more. Liquid platinum.
Currently have below 2500 miles. At this rate, I'm going to have a black front bumper before I hit 15k.
I've never had a clear bra before because it's never been this bad on my other cars, most of which have been silver as well.
I have read several mentions of Lexus paint being soft... That sucks!
Even though some damage has already been done, I'm considering now getting the clear bra.

Is it wise to use Lexus touchup paint on as many chips as possible before having a clear bra installed?

Any Bay Area recommendations? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks all!
Old 11-23-12, 07:40 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have Liquid Platinum with 4300 miles and I only have a couple, but I rarely drive in rush hour and I avoid trucks like the plague. I have been using Wolf's Hard Body on my car and I think it helps with the soft Lexus paint. If you go the clear bra route, maybe you can have Lexus install it and they can touch up the paint before installation? Just a thought. Those rock chips suck.
Old 11-23-12, 08:39 PM
bentleymp2
Pole Position

Oh how l hate the trucks... It's so painful to hear all of those little rocks making contact.
I'll look into Wolf's hard body and I'll get a quote from Lexus.

I think I have a habit of following close behind cars on the freeway. It's not that I tail people, it's just that I'm typically driving faster than most cars on the freeway, so I'm constantly coming up behind cars. I should be more concious of this and perhaps make some changes to my driving style.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-12, 10:53 PM
lexesty72
Driver

Depending on how bad and how deep are those chips...If you use touch up paint...you will see color zits on your bumper. You can try Dr. Colorchip first and clear bra it or you might have to repaint it and wait about 30 days before putting on the clear bra. The best but pricey in the Bay Area for clear bra is Premier in Fremont and you are looking about $700 for just the bumper and more for the hood and fenders of course. They had done a very good job for my GS and you can't even see any seams when it's done correctly.

Good Luck!!
Old 11-24-12, 12:35 AM
bentleymp2
Pole Position

Wow that's pricey! But if I never see a rock chip again, may just be worth it.
Old 11-24-12, 01:05 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

definitely invest in a clear bra if it bugs u that much

just be prepared to fork out some money!

ever since i lowered my 2gs, ive seen numerous more rock chips. i've just learned to deal with it
Old 11-24-12, 07:36 AM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rock chips are the worst, but the clear bras have gotten a lot better, from what I've seen. I remember the first few I saw years back looked like the hood was keyed, but they've gotten much less noticeable! A worthwhile investment, especially if they bother you!
Old 11-24-12, 09:51 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bentleymp2
Everytime a wash the car, I notice at least 6 more. Liquid platinum.
Currently have below 2500 miles. At this rate, I'm going to have a black front bumper before I hit 15k.
I've never had a clear bra before because it's never been this bad on my other cars, most of which have been silver as well.
I have read several mentions of Lexus paint being soft... That sucks!
Even though some damage has already been done, I'm considering now getting the clear bra.

Is it wise to use Lexus touchup paint on as many chips as possible before having a clear bra installed?

Any Bay Area recommendations? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks all!
Maybe you can get a new bumper at 15k?
Old 11-24-12, 12:56 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For the Dallas guys, Sewell Lexus of Dallas has a bumper repair service in the garage area (NOT the Sewell Body Shop that is separate) that will repair and repaint your front bumper with minor scrapes and nicks. They completely remove the bumper, repair the nicks, scratches, and abrasions, and completely repaint the whole bumper with factor paint and materials. I have seen their work and it looks like brand new. You'd never know it had been repaired or repainted. The front bumper on a new GS350 is less than $500 and it takes about 3 days to get your car back. If interested, speak to your Service Adviser.
Old 11-24-12, 07:52 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rjm
For the Dallas guys, Sewell Lexus of Dallas has a bumper repair service in the garage area (NOT the Sewell Body Shop that is separate) that will repair and repaint your front bumper with minor scrapes and nicks. They completely remove the bumper, repair the nicks, scratches, and abrasions, and completely repaint the whole bumper with factor paint and materials. I have seen their work and it looks like brand new. You'd never know it had been repaired or repainted. The front bumper on a new GS350 is less than $500 and it takes about 3 days to get your car back. If interested, speak to your Service Adviser.
Great info! I bought my car from Sewell, so I will remember this. They really are one of the best dealerships in the country, at least from my experience living in South Florida and dealing with JM Lexus and Lexus of Pembroke Pines. My experience buying my 4GS from Sewell was beyond great!
Old 11-24-12, 10:07 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

factory paint....ahh, love when I hear that.

There is no such thing as factory paint.
Old 11-26-12, 07:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I will say that a lot of it has to do with driving style. I don't have a clear bra on mine, and although I've had a lot of problems in the past with rock chips I've been able to keep the chips on this one to a minimum (knock on wood) by allowing more space in front of me from other cars, and especially trucks. I'm a faster driver than most too, and pass regularly, but if you hang back some it will make a difference.
Old 11-26-12, 03:28 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

I too was reluctant to install a clear bra on my 04 G35 Coupe when it was new until I got my first rock chip. Touching it up made it noticeable a mile away. I had to repaint the entire bumper and got the clear bra. 9 years later I can tell you that it has saved my bumper many times over. Over time, you may see slight indentations or tiny scuff marks where the stones have hit the car, but the paint stays intact. It's worth the money!!!!!
Old 11-26-12, 07:53 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I will say that a lot of it has to do with driving style. I don't have a clear bra on mine, and although I've had a lot of problems in the past with rock chips I've been able to keep the chips on this one to a minimum (knock on wood) by allowing more space in front of me from other cars, and especially trucks. I'm a faster driver than most too, and pass regularly, but if you hang back some it will make a difference.
That really is the key to it all. Don't follow too closely at high speeds, and when you are getting close to a truck go insane speeds to get around it. They kick up rocks like nobody's business. That has kept all my cars relatively chip-free.

And it's not just the Lexus paint. My Infinitis and Audis were just as bad at chipping.
Old 11-26-12, 09:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Yep, and really its better driving practice to boot...

Quick Reply: A million and one rock chips.