GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-12 | 01:00 PM
steilkurve
Rookie

Default Suspension

Got a 2013 GS. Could just be me but it seems to be rocking a bit more from side to side on uneven roads at lower speeds. Told my dealer at the last maintenance and they said suspension is fine. Checked air pressure and it was a bit low (probably because of the cold weather rolling in) but I can't say that I see a big difference. Anyone else noticed?
Old 11-26-12 | 01:30 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by steilkurve
Got a 2013 GS. Could just be me but it seems to be rocking a bit more from side to side on uneven roads at lower speeds. Told my dealer at the last maintenance and they said suspension is fine. Checked air pressure and it was a bit low (probably because of the cold weather rolling in) but I can't say that I see a big difference. Anyone else noticed?
I've noticed my 4GS does a side step dance over uneven pavement also, especially in Sport+. I just chalked it up to the suspension being stiffer than any other car I've driven seeing how the F-Sport is the most sport oriented car I've driven.
Old 11-26-12 | 01:42 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

If you have Bridgestone El400-02 or the Dunlops, the car will feel a bit firmer and choppier on certain road surfaces when it gets colder because of the sidewall of these tires. The Michelins and Continental tires I have on my GS350 on both the summer and winter wheels are smooth and keeps the GS planted with no choppiness felt over the road surface unlike with the crappy cheap Bridgestones that I had initially in March/April in cold weather when I first got the GS F-sport.
Old 12-04-12 | 07:44 PM
steilkurve
Rookie

Thanks. I got Michelin winter tires on right now. Question, could it be tire pressure related? When the weather turned cold, the pressure dropped from 33 to 30. Inflated the tires back to 33. Should I have done that given they did not deflate per se but instead PSI changed due to outside temperature. Should I have left it to 30? Also, weather warmed up quite a bit today and the pressure indicated 36 with tires cold. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-04-12 | 08:08 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Hello,
Its because every 10 degrees change in temperature leads to 1 psi difference in pressure. If its get colder by 20 degress, the pressure will drop by 2 psi. If its warmer vice versa because molecules of o2 expand with heat and condense with cold. Its physics. I keep my cold pressure at 31 psi on my Michelin winter tires since they are higher load ratings than my standard all season and they feel bumpy with higher pressure so it am ok with pressure 30-32 front and rears and I check and inflate them as needed every 1 month. If its gets too warm, i remove some air from the tires to help with the ride and then reinflate when it gets colder.
Old 12-04-12 | 11:17 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

tire pressure probably is a factor. low tire pressure caused the ride to become bouncy. i thought something was wrong with the suspension also, although that wasn't the case.
Old 12-05-12 | 07:47 AM
steilkurve
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Hello,
Its because every 10 degrees change in temperature leads to 1 psi difference in pressure. If its get colder by 20 degress, the pressure will drop by 2 psi. If its warmer vice versa because molecules of o2 expand with heat and condense with cold. Its physics. I keep my cold pressure at 31 psi on my Michelin winter tires since they are higher load ratings than my standard all season and they feel bumpy with higher pressure so it am ok with pressure 30-32 front and rears and I check and inflate them as needed every 1 month. If its gets too warm, i remove some air from the tires to help with the ride and then reinflate when it gets colder.
Thanks. So with Michelin winter tires, are you suggesting I lower the pressure as well to 31 even if Lexus suggest 33 for the car? Right now, they're at 33 cold and the car really feels bouncy.
Old 12-05-12 | 02:25 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

What speed do you feel bounciness at? Is the bounciness like vibration? I do not feel any unless its a bad choppy road at higher speed 70 plus mph. Very smooth otherwise. The Michelin Alpin Pa4 have a 98V load rating compared to the 94v load rating of the standard tires so you compensate a bit by keeping cold pressure at 31-31 psi.
Old 12-06-12 | 04:33 AM
steilkurve
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rexus300
What speed do you feel bounciness at? Is the bounciness like vibration? I do not feel any unless its a bad choppy road at higher speed 70 plus mph. Very smooth otherwise. The Michelin Alpin Pa4 have a 98V load rating compared to the 94v load rating of the standard tires so you compensate a bit by keeping cold pressure at 31-31 psi.
Frankly, I feel like the ride is bouncy no matter the speed but likely more so above 70 yes. The Michelin I've got are the same as you. I will try and lower the pressure a bit and see what it does. I'll report back. Thanks.