GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Wheel Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 06:09 PM
chiefguy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Insurance

Hi...just wondering if anyone purchased the wheel insurance from the dealer and how much it cost? Here in NJ there are plenty of potholes to worry about....i'm getting the 18inch Lux wheels but not sure about the wheel insurance...
thanks!
Old 12-04-12, 11:38 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the wheel and tire package is a must have IMO. it adds about $20/25 dollars to your payment. i hit a curb at an angle one day (had an ES w/W&T pckg.) took a chunk of meat out of my tire... took it right to Lexus and they replaced it with a brand new tire. as far as the wheel goes, it has to be in bad shape in order for them to give you a new one.
Old 12-05-12, 12:33 PM
DrKeith
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife curbed both of my passenger side wheels. 1 day later Lexus had them repaired and they look like new. I believe i paid $675 here in MO.
Old 12-05-12, 12:57 PM
DrKeith
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic after--I will try to find the before on my old phone but it wasn't pretty
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Insurance-wheel.jpg  
Old 12-05-12, 01:46 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrKeith
My wife curbed both of my passenger side wheels. 1 day later Lexus had them repaired and they look like new. I believe i paid $675 here in MO.
And did you revoke her driving privileges? Just kidding as I couldn't revoke my wife's privileges either or she'd revoke some of my "privileges" as well. Wheel repair looks good as well.

Last edited by jkeifer3; 12-05-12 at 01:47 PM. Reason: left something off
Old 12-05-12, 01:49 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wheel Insurance? Gosh we have gotten to insure everything, pets, houses, lives, cars, flights, and now wheels. Too much for me. Maybe Southern California has way better roads out here or something.
Old 12-05-12, 02:03 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Maybe Southern California has way better roads out here or something.
Since there isn't much call for Snow Plowing in SoCal. Yeah, you could say that.

Chief,
I'm in Chicago and my insurance covers my wheels with pothole damage. Not so much on curb rash, but bent wheels, blow tires, anything that whacks the suspension into next week. OEM only. No coverage if the car is lowered or has aftermarket wheels. Not sure how it works with a second set of wheels with snow tires.

I have to take pictures of the pothole, or at least provide a location to be covered.
That was with both Nationwide and Allstate. State Farm didn't offer it.
Old 12-05-12, 05:09 PM
chiefguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by neurocity
Since there isn't much call for Snow Plowing in SoCal. Yeah, you could say that.

Chief,
I'm in Chicago and my insurance covers my wheels with pothole damage. Not so much on curb rash, but bent wheels, blow tires, anything that whacks the suspension into next week. OEM only. No coverage if the car is lowered or has aftermarket wheels. Not sure how it works with a second set of wheels with snow tires.

I have to take pictures of the pothole, or at least provide a location to be covered.
Thanks a lot....and so true about So Cal roads vs. our roads...no compare...I guess i'll have to buy it for security just in case...I think there is a big markup on this insurance so i'll have to work with the dealer on the pricing....appreciate your input...thanks
Old 12-05-12, 05:55 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity

Chief,

neither does Geico.
Old 12-05-12, 07:38 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Wheel Insurance? Gosh we have gotten to insure everything, pets, houses, lives, cars, flights, and now wheels. Too much for me. Maybe Southern California has way better roads out here or something.
Way better roads... and you can't go fast enough on them to do any meaningful damage.
Old 12-07-12, 09:12 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

I purchased the wheel/tire insurance. It was $400 for 3 years coverage. The dealers first offer was around $600, but we were able to negotiate. The coverage insures ALL tires, not just factory. This was my main concern as most tires don't last more than a year or 20k from the factory.
Old 12-07-12, 09:55 AM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just curb my f sport wheels this morning and i am pissed about it as i wasn't paying attention how close i was to the curb. so right now i am hunting for good wheel repair person. if anybody in DC Metro know of any wheel repair person please let me know.
Old 12-07-12, 12:08 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsardar
I just curb my f sport wheels this morning and i am pissed about it as i wasn't paying attention how close i was to the curb. so right now i am hunting for good wheel repair person. if anybody in DC Metro know of any wheel repair person please let me know.
sorry to hear that.......as someone who has been there before with previous cars, there is no worse sound than the sudden grinding of a curb.
Old 12-07-12, 02:09 PM
James5
Driver School Candidate

I got the wheels and tires added to mine as well. I think it's a must have and my dad, having owned a couple GS models and a current IS model told me he has needed it for every single one that he's owned. no doubt i will hit a pothole here at some point.
Old 12-07-12, 02:15 PM
FCDRIFT
Rookie

you can also get them covered through farmers insurance.

Quick Reply: Wheel Insurance