GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I didn't...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 06:30 AM
Leo23
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I didn't...

Well, I went to the dealer with the intention to buy the new gs. I test drove the car first thing and by 'surprise' I was disappointed by the road noise got into the cabin as compared to my 3GS. Also felt some vibrations around 65mph. It felt a bit jerky.
I just couldn't get my self to buy it. :-(

On the way home I was thinking... Maybe those Dunlop tires have something to do with it?

I'm curious to know whether the gs is using sound-proof type of glass all around.
Old 12-10-12, 08:43 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the glass and cabin are vey well insulated. i have an F Sport with 19' tires and i hear very little to no road noise, depending on what type of street/road i'm driving on. you get more road feel with the 19's which i like. don't like to feel like i'm floating. the better the road feel the better the steering feel, the better the handling IMO. the dunlops probably are a factor as far as the road noise. my driver and passenger windows are double paned and the windshield is insulated. i have the ML system so the car is definitely well insulated.
Old 12-10-12, 08:48 AM
Chuck W.
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you. That is why test driving a car is so important. Keep shopping and let us know what you settle on.
Old 12-10-12, 08:59 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

My 4GS is much quieter compared to my 3GS. In fact, it is so quiet that I have to open the window to hear the street noise. Driving is night and day difference. It's smooth when idle, it's smooth in motion. Won't comment on handling as I'm sure you know what it's capable of Anyways, mine has Michelin tires.....
Old 12-10-12, 09:35 AM
Leo23
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
the glass and cabin are vey well insulated. i have an F Sport with 19' tires and i hear very little to no road noise, depending on what type of street/road i'm driving on. you get more road feel with the 19's which i like. don't like to feel like i'm floating. the better the road feel the better the steering feel, the better the handling IMO. the dunlops probably are a factor as far as the road noise. my driver and passenger windows are double paned and the windshield is insulated. i have the ML system so the car is definitely well insulated.
The double panes windows... is that an option?
Old 12-10-12, 10:05 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
Well, I went to the dealer with the intention to buy the new gs. I test drove the car first thing and by 'surprise' I was disappointed by the road noise got into the cabin as compared to my 3GS. Also felt some vibrations around 65mph. It felt a bit jerky.
I just couldn't get my self to buy it. :-(

On the way home I was thinking... Maybe those Dunlop tires have something to do with it?

I'm curious to know whether the gs is using sound-proof type of glass all around.
I had the dealership swap rims/tires for me. My first impression was the same with the Dunlops. They had one car on the lot with Michelin MXM4 tires. I told them it was part of the deal or I was walking away. They agreed and I picked up the car the following day.

Look at tirerack review of the two different types of tires. I am not sure why one car on the lot had Michelin's and the rest did not. Both my car and the car with the Michelins were identical packages. Not sure if or when Lexus switched to the Michelins, but they are superior.
Old 12-10-12, 10:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It is pretty loud inside at 65 MPH.I have Dunlops.I don't mind because I usually like playing the radio fairly loud.
I did experience the same vibration at 60-65 on my first highway drive yesterday.I was about to make an appt for the GS at that point but it went away after a few minutes.Haven't experienced any issue since.
Old 12-10-12, 10:39 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the 4GS is noisier than my 3rd gen. But not enough where I thought it was obtrusive to the point of making a stink about it.
Old 12-10-12, 12:45 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
The double panes windows... is that an option?
no it's not an option. i know the models equipped with ML, and i believe F-Sport models and Lux have the double pane windows. there is a thread with pics on here about the DP windows.
Old 12-10-12, 01:13 PM
James5
Driver School Candidate

I drove a demo car before buying and the demo car had a wheel that was out of balance. you could really feel it when you got up to 70 or so. It was annoying but I knew it was not the norm. I bought a brand new one and it is smoooth and silent. love it!
Old 12-10-12, 02:06 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dunlops are the ones causing the noise and vibration. I felt it on some loaner 2013 GS. I drove others with Michelins and they are smooth at all speeds.
Old 12-10-12, 08:06 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My F Sport has Dunlops. I have never experienced any vibration. The ride is as smooth as glass. However, there is some road noise over certain roads, moreso than with my Audi S5 that also had 19" rims. As someone else said, I just crank up the Mark Levinson up. I like the overall feel/smoothness of the GS. I don't want to be totally isolated, which is why I never went for the 3GS.
Old 12-10-12, 08:49 PM
mush
Pole Position

Anyone know if all gs fsport come with dunlops? I want michelin
Old 12-10-12, 09:34 PM
Leo23
Driver

Thanks for the responses. I think Ill ask the dealer whether they could swap the tires.
Old 12-11-12, 06:43 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Dunlops and they are very smooth, but the road noise is noticeable but not annoying. I will eventually replace them with Michelins down the road. If I had the choice, I would have chosen the Michelins.

Quick Reply: I didn't...