GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Power Trunk Upgrade for US Models?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 05:30 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
This is wat really makes me rant about wanting these items cause they were on the gs before and also other regions are getting and we are getting shafted.
Exactly! Yes I can close the trunk on my own but the fact that this is a feature offered elsewhere is frustrating. Especially when it need to be slammed with the wrath of Thor to close....
Old 01-09-13, 09:24 PM
zc1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this missing from the hybrid as well? My Canadian 450h has a power trunk. I looked into it and found that in my market the power trunk is available on the following models: (A) GS 350 AWD with Luxury, Tech or Tech Plus Package; (B) GS 350 RWD + F-Sport Package; (C) GS 450h. Regional peculiarities. Our F-Sport package can't be optioned with parking sensors. I'm sure there are many more examples of this type of thing. Win some, lose some.

Last edited by zc1; 01-09-13 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-09-13, 09:58 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zc1
Is this missing from the hybrid as well?
Gone with the wind...
Old 01-10-13, 06:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't see what the big deal is.It's a car and not a SUV where a power lift door is much more convenient.
How many times a month do you open the trunk?Is it really that hard to push a button and lift the lid.Closing the lid a bit harder than normal on some GS350's.
C'mon guys.If we want to complain about something,why not more HP/torque on a new generation GS?Or no power fold in mirrors like the last generation GS?

$1500 for parts for a power trunk.Funny stuff.
Old 01-10-13, 07:14 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I don't see what the big deal is.It's a car and not a SUV where a power lift door is much more convenient.
How many times a month do you open the trunk?Is it really that hard to push a button and lift the lid.Closing the lid a bit harder than normal on some GS350's.
C'mon guys.If we want to complain about something,why not more HP/torque on a new generation GS?Or no power fold in mirrors like the last generation GS?

$1500 for parts for a power trunk.Funny stuff.
Obviously this is not an issue for everyone and that's why everyone has their own opinions on this subject.

However, I will direct you back to post number "25" for an explanation to your comment.
Old 01-10-13, 07:15 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
This is wat really makes me rant about wanting these items cause they were on the gs before and also other regions are getting and we are getting shafted.
Well you have a lot of other things on this GS compared to the previous one, right? And people probably don't have the luxury to pay for the GS at the low prices that we have in the US. IMO, this is the first year model. They put a lot of effort and money into the R/D phase. So I think it is reasonable for them to cut a few things off the list. I'm sure they will come up next year and one can definitely add on if they want to spend the dollars.
Old 01-10-13, 07:18 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Well you have a lot of other things on this GS compared to the previous one, right? And people probably don't have the luxury to pay for the GS at the low prices that we have in the US. IMO, this is the first year model. They put a lot of effort and money into the R/D phase. So I think it is reasonable for them to cut a few things off the list. I'm sure they will come up next year and one can definitely add on if they want to spend the dollars.
This was my exact same thought, and I hope thats the case, cause the US market being the biggest for Lexus we should have everything!
Old 01-10-13, 07:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
Obviously this is not an issue for everyone and that's why everyone has their own opinions on this subject.

However, I will direct you back to post number "25" for an explanation to your comment.
Post#25 doesn't change the fact that the lack of power trunk to most is less important than the loss of power fold in mirrors of the last generation GS or lack of a more potent engine in a new generation GS.
Those are things to complain about.
I have slam the trunk a bit more than I should.That really doesn't bother me anymore.I'm over it.
$1500 for parts to go with a power trunk if you do the install?
$1500 in mods would be a better spending option,IMO.

"Different strokes for different folks"

Toyota may be saving the power trunk for the mid cycle refresh.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-10-13 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 07:26 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Default Simple Point!

Just to make "MY" point clear on the subject.

Yeah...I think a power trunk would be great as other countries have the option. However, this is not my problem with not having a power trunk.

My problem is that the trunk Lexus gave us shuts like a lid to a dumpster. For instance...lightly shut your car door...sounds nice, right? It gives you that warm fuzzy feeling of comfort knowing you purchased a high end luxury car. Now...go and shut your trunk. My bet is...you just lost that warm fuzzy feeling.

Shutting my trunk with my own two hands would be fine with me if the quality matched the rest of the car. That's my point!

NOTE: This is my personal opinion.
Old 01-10-13, 07:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Just to make "MY" point clear on the subject.

Yeah...I think a power trunk would be great as other countries have the option. However, this is not my problem with not having a power trunk.

My problem is that the trunk Lexus gave us shuts like a lid to a dumpster. For instance...lightly shut your car door...sounds nice, right? It gives you that warm fuzzy feeling of comfort knowing you purchased a high end luxury car. Now...go and shut your trunk. My bet is...you just lost that warm fuzzy feeling.

Shutting my trunk with my own two hands would be fine with me if the quality matched the rest of the car. That's my point!

NOTE: This is my personal opinion.
The trunk seems to close better than earlier.Maybe it's just that I know how much pressure it needs now.Although,I have to apply more pressure than i did with my ES,I've never needed two hands to close it.
Like I posted above,it just doesn't bother me anymore.
Then again,I rarely open the trunk.
Old 01-10-13, 07:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Well you have a lot of other things on this GS compared to the previous one, right?
This is really the bottom line, and I said this at some point, maybe in this thread.

One of my managers bought a 2010 GS the same day I bought my 2013. In spending time in that car helping him set up the nav/audio/etc, it becomes plainly apparent that the 2013 is such a huge lightning leap over the old car its almost hard to believe they are the same model. Just yesterday I was talking to another coworker of ours who is looking at an ES, that had ridden in his after riding in mine and she also completely unprompted gushed about how the new GS was so much better than the old GS, she mentioned cheap feeling plastic, etc.

SO...if in order to get that level of improvement for essentially the same money, plus all the additional features the 2013 has over the previous car (luxury package, Sport/S+ modes, the infotainment options, rear seat controls, to name a few), and the performance and handling improvements which are profound, if in order to get all of that I have to loose power folding mirrors and a power closing trunk...I'm okay with that.
Old 01-10-13, 07:43 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The trunk seems to close better than earlier.Maybe it's just that I know how much pressure it needs now.Although,I have to apply more pressure than i did with my ES,I've never needed two hands to close it.
Like I posted above,it just doesn't bother me anymore.
Then again,I rarely open the trunk.
I too have figured out the right amount of pressure needed to use the inside handle to pull the trunk closed with one hand. I have just over 8000 miles on my GS and I'm in my trunk nearly every day. I've got used to it, but still wish the quality was better.

My wife had a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and as a lot of people have pointed out the rear ends of both cars look very similar. The Sonata's trunk was also manual and used the same pull handle on the inside to shut the trunk. Here's the kicker...the Sonata trunk closed smoothly and didn't sound like a dumpster lid closing. Now if the Koreans can get it right on a cheap throw away car...I would expect that Lexus should be able to "at least" emulate the effort.
Old 01-10-13, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Now if the Koreans can get it right on a cheap throw away car...I would expect that Lexus should be able to "at least" emulate the effort.
I would challenge the statement that a potentially $30,000 Sonata is a throw away car to most people. Bear in mind the Sonata is an incredibly important product for Hyundai as it competes with the Camry and Accord.
Old 01-10-13, 07:48 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW10ES
This is really the bottom line, and I said this at some point, maybe in this thread.

One of my managers bought a 2010 GS the same day I bought my 2013. In spending time in that car helping him set up the nav/audio/etc, it becomes plainly apparent that the 2013 is such a huge lightning leap over the old car its almost hard to believe they are the same model. Just yesterday I was talking to another coworker of ours who is looking at an ES, that had ridden in his after riding in mine and she also completely unprompted gushed about how the new GS was so much better than the old GS, she mentioned cheap feeling plastic, etc.

SO...if in order to get that level of improvement for essentially the same money, plus all the additional features the 2013 has over the previous car (luxury package, Sport/S+ modes, the infotainment options, rear seat controls, to name a few), and the performance and handling improvements which are profound, if in order to get all of that I have to loose power folding mirrors and a power closing trunk...I'm okay with that.
You make a great point! I probably should have mentioned somewhere in this ranting thread that I do LOVE my GS in every other sense of the car...and that's probably why the trunk just sticks in my head so much.

The whole caliber of the car is leaps ahead of nearly every car in its class and then it just seems like they got to the trunk on a late Friday night and said..."I'm tired...just make sure it latches." LOL!!!
Old 01-10-13, 07:49 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I would challenge the statement that a potentially $30,000 Sonata is a throw away car to most people. Bear in mind the Sonata is an incredibly important product for Hyundai as it competes with the Camry and Accord.
I apologize! The Sonata is a great car for the money. The one we had...well...let's just say, not so much!

Quick Reply: Power Trunk Upgrade for US Models?