GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Power Trunk Upgrade for US Models?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 07:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
I too have figured out the right amount of pressure needed to use the inside handle to pull the trunk closed with one hand. I have just over 8000 miles on my GS and I'm in my trunk nearly every day. I've got used to it, but still wish the quality was better.

My wife had a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and as a lot of people have pointed out the rear ends of both cars look very similar. The Sonata's trunk was also manual and used the same pull handle on the inside to shut the trunk. Here's the kicker...the Sonata trunk closed smoothly and didn't sound like a dumpster lid closing. Now if the Koreans can get it right on a cheap throw away car...I would expect that Lexus should be able to "at least" emulate the effort.

That's probably the difference,then.You use the trunk much more than I do.

I agree the Sonata looks just like the GS or vice versa.
Seems the power trunk was designed for the GS and in a later decision Toyota cost cut and dropped it.Maybe causing less close trunk refinement because of that..
Old 01-10-13, 07:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Yeah I agree, it should at least feel better as it closes. It is like they took the typical Lexus care with every latch and door, even the glove box and fuel door, but not the trunk.
Old 01-10-13, 07:55 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Seems the power trunk was designed for the GS and in a later decision Toyota cost cut and dropped it.Maybe causing less close trunk refinement because of that..
That makes all the sense in the world!!!
Old 01-10-13, 07:55 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias
Old 01-10-13, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see what you're getting at when it comes to this discussion. I don't think anybody is denying the trunk feels cheap and that they would like to have a power closing trunk and power closing mirrors.

My point was that the car is a huge step forward from the previous car, which obviously all of us here as well as everybody in the Automotive media agrees with, and if for whatever reason we had to sacrifice power folding mirrors and a power closing trunk to get that then so be it. Its not a choice supportive bias...because I didn't even consider those features when making a choice.

Would anybody here be willing to trade their 4GS for a 3GS to get the power folding mirrors and power closing trunk? I'm sure my boss would oblige.
Old 01-10-13, 10:05 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Just to make "MY" point clear on the subject.

Yeah...I think a power trunk would be great as other countries have the option. However, this is not my problem with not having a power trunk.

My problem is that the trunk Lexus gave us shuts like a lid to a dumpster. For instance...lightly shut your car door...sounds nice, right? It gives you that warm fuzzy feeling of comfort knowing you purchased a high end luxury car. Now...go and shut your trunk. My bet is...you just lost that warm fuzzy feeling.

Shutting my trunk with my own two hands would be fine with me if the quality matched the rest of the car. That's my point!

NOTE: This is my personal opinion.
Lol, I complained about this, but I figured I never heard it on my old GS because of the soft close feature. Going to dealership today to get Nitrofill and adjust my low beams up a little, I'll see what they can do about the noise from the trunk and report back.
Old 01-10-13, 10:12 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by SW10ES
it becomes plainly apparent that the 2013 is such a huge lightning leap over the old car its almost hard to believe they are the same model.
SO...if in order to get that level of improvement for essentially the same money, plus all the additional features the 2013 has over the previous car (luxury package, Sport/S+ modes, the infotainment options, rear seat controls, to name a few), and the performance and handling improvements which are profound, if in order to get all of that I have to loose power folding mirrors and a power closing trunk...I'm okay with that.
I do agree it is a huge leap for Lexus, my old GS 450h creaked and rattle like a tin can, and I hated that. This car is so smooth and yes luxurious in every way my only issue, and its not major enough that I would park the car and say naw aint driving you cause you missing features I should have. At the end of the day its only an issue I have and I wont cryover it. My hope is that all this ranting will be noticed by Lexus so they can put it in, on the refresh model.
Old 01-10-13, 10:50 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When the '14 GS come out with power trunk and power folding mirror, they sticker will bump up too. :-P

Lexus's engineers couldn't think of features to improvement so they have to remove some standard features then wait for next year model to add it on as an option or accessories and force buyers pay for it.

Example: The previous gen of RX had standard xenon lights with headlights washer and illuminated door sills, the current gen RX have those as options and cost a small fortune to get it.
Old 01-10-13, 12:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by onexcite
Example: The previous gen of RX had standard xenon lights with headlights washer and illuminated door sills, the current gen RX have those as options and cost a small fortune to get it.
Those things have never been standard on the RX, at least in the US.
Old 01-11-13, 02:16 PM
bigblack06

Ok was bored at work and saw this has anyone seen this TSIB yet for the trunk.
DownloadPdf.pdf
Old 01-16-13, 09:24 AM
ronfsp
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Some shots of the power trunk components on my car. A lot of parts & wiring involved. Think it'll be quite costly if wanna install it on non power trunk GS...

After removing the cover this is what hiding underneath!

Power switch & a motor

The switch to close the trunk

The motor. This motor will lock the boot in place after the boot is lowered. If i manually close the boot, all i need is to close the boot lightly & the motor will like "suck" the boot down to close it... Dunno how to describe. Thought of taking video to show but i dunno how to post video. Video taken with my phone seems like cannot be posted as it's mp4?

There's another motor at the left side arm.. Think this is the motor responsible to bring down the boot...

The other arm on the right side is juz normal arm with torsion bars

The yellow warning label...
Old 01-16-13, 10:29 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by ronfsp
Some shots of the power trunk components on my car. A lot of parts & wiring involved. Think it'll be quite costly if wanna install it on non power trunk GS...
Edit: Saw pics, work blocked the pics.

Last edited by bigblack06; 01-16-13 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-16-13, 10:43 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The motor. This motor will lock the boot in place after the boot is lowered. If i manually close the boot, all i need is to close the boot lightly & the motor will like "suck" the boot down to close it... Dunno how to describe. Thought of taking video to show but i dunno how to post video. Video taken with my phone seems like cannot be posted as it's mp4?
I wonder if we simply replaced our manual latch with the motorized one...if we could semi-cheaply make a "soft close" trunk...THOUGHTS????
Old 01-16-13, 11:20 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the pix. I want to know where the wiring of the switch go to? The US trunk pretty much have the same wiring in place but not for the switch.
Old 01-16-13, 12:05 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I wonder if we simply replaced our manual latch with the motorized one...if we could semi-cheaply make a "soft close" trunk...THOUGHTS????
This would be great. I dont mind bringing the lid down but I cringe every time I have to slam it.

Quick Reply: Power Trunk Upgrade for US Models?