GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Disappointed with my new GS AWD F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 07:19 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
you were doing 70+ in heavy traffic . if you hit the gas a little harder than normal at that speed, then yes the car will downshift when in S+ mode. i only hit the brake when i get to a tricky curve, and love when the car downshifts. i will coast through the corner and when i come out of the curve i'll hit the gas and take off and the car upshifts as i hit the gas. there's a learning curve. i think i figured it out.
Yep, 70+ in heavy traffic Nah I wouldn't be that crazy. The freeway I was on joins a another one with slower traffic. I've been to this area many times but it still got me every time I go through Dallas. You're still talking about learning? I'm too old to learn how to drive, Syd.
On the other hand, I have no complaint about the engine noise. It has never been that noticeable to bother me. I remember standing in my garage and heard this loud engine noise. I looked out and saw my neighbor's 3 (brand new previous gen) slowly leaving his house (about three houses down). Now that was loud. I hope they have really good seal to prevent it from entering into the inside. My sis never complained about it though. Although it gave her so much trouble, she always speaks highly about bmw!
Old 12-20-12, 07:45 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
someone mentioned without the direct injection, its just a camry v6 engine.
i would take the camry engine over the gs if thats how bad it really sounds. you should hear the 4runner and what it sounds like in idle. horrible compared to a gx
LOL... Probably funnier than the Nos comment last week.
Okay... 2GR-FSE has both. Direct and Port (Normal) fuel injection. You are hearing 12 injectors clicking away when you rip open the hood like an old man screaming "Whats with all this noise!?" They also only operate at the same time at low RPM... when you can hear it the most.

that being said, direct injection engines requires regular cleaning maintainence vs a fuel injection engine. i wonder wtf lexus was thinking here? they should have put a 3.7 fuel injected vs 3.5 direct injected engine.
Really? Regular cleaning and maintenance? I must have a magical version. Because I have 85k on mine. drive 60+ miles a day during the week. I have yet to do anything to the fuel system. Looking back at all the service records. Nothing with the fuel system was ever done.

And the noise that is so unbearable to you. I guess my ears are shot from years in the music industry. Because it really doesn't bother me. The creeks the sunroof cover makes and change vibrating in the ash tray with the ML system cranked bothers me more.

that being said, if engine sounds that bad, that would be a big turn off for getting a gs. perhaps will wait for the new IS to come out.
Your ultra frequency ears are wanting you to find a well maintained LS400.

Last edited by neurocity; 12-20-12 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-20-12, 08:04 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

To me, reading threads like this are just odd... I suppose lexus really had their demographics nailed with their stereotypical quiet and comfortable cars which lacked driving dynamics. I've come from sports cars all my life, the most recent a 370z... And was only tempted lexus's way because of features like aggressive downshifting, gas saving, torque rich direct injection engine and the ability to have a quiet, smooth ride on demand with the adjustable suspension.

From what I understand, lexus was looking to conquest buyers from other brands and nailed it in my opinion.

It's amusing to see they've alienated their traditional buyers as much as they have. A car which downshifts with aggressive braking in sport mode being dangerous? If you're really going for it and it didn't, I'd call that dangerous!

It's a fantastic car guys and not a stereotypical lexus... I think that was supposed to be the point!
Old 12-20-12, 09:30 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figure, if you want an engine that sounds nice at idle, get a domestic vehicle equipped with a V8. The Big 3 know how to make a V8 nice sound. Some of the domestics with V6s, like the Mustang, sound pretty decent if you listen at the rear of the vehicle. Now, I'm assuming that one finds certain engine sounds pleasant, as I do.

If it's total isolation you're looking for, old school Lexus has that covered. I guess that's why the 2013 GS 350 is my first Lexus.
Old 12-20-12, 11:03 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sarmyth
To me, reading threads like this are just odd... I suppose lexus really had their demographics nailed with their stereotypical quiet and comfortable cars which lacked driving dynamics. I've come from sports cars all my life, the most recent a 370z... And was only tempted lexus's way because of features like aggressive downshifting, gas saving, torque rich direct injection engine and the ability to have a quiet, smooth ride on demand with the adjustable suspension.

From what I understand, lexus was looking to conquest buyers from other brands and nailed it in my opinion.

It's amusing to see they've alienated their traditional buyers as much as they have. A car which downshifts with aggressive braking in sport mode being dangerous? If you're really going for it and it didn't, I'd call that dangerous!

It's a fantastic car guys and not a stereotypical lexus... I think that was supposed to be the point!
x2, only complaint I had about the new GS was not fast enough for me.
Great car, idle noise is NORMAL for Direct Injection get use to it its not going away anytime soon.
Old 12-20-12, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

someone mentioned without the direct injection, its just a camry v6 engine.

i would take the camry engine over the gs if thats how bad it really sounds. you should hear the 4runner and what it sounds like in idle. horrible compared to a gx...that being said, if engine sounds that bad, that would be a big turn off for getting a gs. perhaps will wait for the new IS to come out.
It doesn't sound bad, its just theres a little diesel type sound when the engine is cold at idle. Not a big deal.

As someone who just came from the Camry engine, the note at idle may have been quieter, but the motor is so much smoother, better sounding, and more powerful every other time it more than makes up for it.

As for the transmission shifts, Lexus transmissions are lumpy at low speed, they always have been. I remember when my Dad got his first LS back in 98 taking it back to the dealer because of the poor shift performance at low speeds. You get used to it and adapt how you throttle...
Old 12-20-12, 02:41 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Well said! I went to Infiniti and Audi for 6 years after owning Lexuses, then the GS brought me back as a "re-conquest" buyer. They nailed it alright.
Old 12-20-12, 09:19 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

look on ebay at how many f sports are for sale. very peculiar....makes me wonder if something up with the gs
Old 12-20-12, 09:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TopKnife
Got my GS 2 weeks ago. Been happy with the quality of the interior but not so impressed with the driving characteristics. In particular, there is a coarse, grainy engine noise, mostly heard when first starting the engine, idling, and slow driving such as driving in an indoor parking garage. The annoying noise seem to disappear at 3-4K RPM. Does anyone have this problem?

Also, the automatic transmission is indecisive, especially when decelerating, as if it is not sure what gear it should go into.

Maybe I got a lemon?
You want coarse and grainy, go drive a G37. The VQ37 is very unrefined compared to the VQ35
Old 12-20-12, 09:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

look on ebay at how many f sports are for sale. very peculiar....makes me wonder if something up with the gs
needs more power

Guy just traded in his GS F-Sport AWD at our dealer for an IS-F
Old 12-21-12, 08:59 AM
TopKnife
Driver School Candidate

I'm afraid you're missing the point, my friend.
I too have been a sports car fanatic and have never imagine I would one day be driving a Lexus.
What I've been experiencing is not the throaty, deep exhaust note which I don't think anyone would object. What we have been complaining about is an engine noise that sounds cheap and unrefined. Definitely not compatible with the car's appearance and the brand.

BTW, I miss my 350Z and M3. Both had great-sounding engines.
Old 12-21-12, 09:05 AM
TopKnife
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bentleymp2
Our engines sound like **** in lower gears and I hate it!
I sound angry but I've gotten half way over it. It still sucks though!

Here is my thread about it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-sounding.html
Thanks for the post!
You put me at ease. At least I know my car is not a lemon and that we're all in this together.
As someone said, just turn up the music. This was a perfectly acceptable solution when I had a 350Z and was subjected to a symphony of rattles. Looks like something never changes.
Old 12-21-12, 10:14 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TopKnife
I'm afraid you're missing the point, my friend.
I too have been a sports car fanatic and have never imagine I would one day be driving a Lexus.
What I've been experiencing is not the throaty, deep exhaust note which I don't think anyone would object. What we have been complaining about is an engine noise that sounds cheap and unrefined. Definitely not compatible with the car's appearance and the brand.

BTW, I miss my 350Z and M3. Both had great-sounding engines.
Serious question : when you test drove the GS, did your test car exhibit similar unpleasant noises?

If it didn't, maybe there is truly something wrong with the particular car that you own.

Another suggestion would be to record this unpleasant noise you're experiencing, upload it here and see if the other GS owners are hearing the same noises. If they aren't you may truly have an engine/drivetrain problem.
Old 12-21-12, 05:23 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
needs more power

Guy just traded in his GS F-Sport AWD at our dealer for an IS-F
i gree... theres plenty of room for a v8 there..
Old 12-21-12, 06:06 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i gree... theres plenty of room for a v8 there..
Understandable. A choice of a 5.0L V8
with IS-F?
It does cross one's mind...

Quick Reply: Disappointed with my new GS AWD F Sport