GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Advice needed: So upset, new car scraped in parking lot.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 06:07 AM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Sydtoosic, I did buy the Wolf's Nano shampoo, I would use that in place of the dawn right or is the Nano shampoo only for post hardbody maintenance?

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i'm going to condense this for you.
#1 you have to start with a completely uber clean surface.
#2 everything comes off the car. polish, wax... everything. my bad for not mentioning that yesterday.
#3 original Dawn dish washing liquid. if you don't have detailers chemicals.
#4 wash it good with the dawn to strip off everything... throw the dawn in the garbage don't use it on your car ever again.
#5 clay the car if needed.
#6 correct paint if needed.
#7 IPA wipedown x2
#8 Hard Body, MF towels and some sunglasses. forgot to mention beverages. coffee, tea, juice because you're going to be in your driveway for a while, if you don't need to clay or correct then it shouldn't take that long. the sunglasses are going to prevent your corneas from burning after you look at that shiny paint. " HAVE FUN"
Old 01-07-13, 06:07 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

glad to know its not too bad! In the future, if you have paint transfer, use WD-40! it works like a charm!
Old 01-07-13, 06:10 AM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks SKA430 and Nexson, I have to go to the dealership this week anyway and will ask our friend there for a recommendation. It's not that noticeable, but definitely a dent. The hubby said it pushed up the bumper slightly and said the same thing about pushing it out.

Originally Posted by SKA430
You could always have a paintless dent repair technician look at the dent to see if they could push it out. I actually couldn't see it since I'm just using a phone, but if its small enough there's a good chance they could remove for $100 or less. Good luck!
Originally Posted by Nexson
Looks good but you need to get that fixed
Old 01-07-13, 06:20 AM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks bigguppy, yes, I plan on looking into paintless repair first. The 2 scratches are barely noticeable now, so I don't want to mess around with paint. Also, murphy's law, this kind of crap is bound to happen again. I drove my Infiniti around for holiday shopping and every outing I notice more door dings. *sigh*

Originally Posted by bigguppy
I think having it repair and respray will only be opening a can of warm. It's so close to the bumper. Painting plastic and metal will not always match even if it was properly color matched. Best is to take SKA430 advice and do paintless dent repair. It will cost you between $100-200 if the tech can not get to it from the trunk. Bumper may need to be drop slightly.
*Nodding*

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I'm picky myself, but finding a great shop that can replicate a factory finish isn't easy, not to mention the fact thats a costly repair. If you can only see it from a certain angle...the sting passes.
Outrage, I just saw your pics and so glad everything worked out! I feel for you, mine wasn't 1/10 as bad and I was so upset. On the bright side, your "L sport" looks awesome!!

Originally Posted by Outrage
I had my front fender repaired simply by having it reshaped. No new paint was involved. The rear quarter panel dent looks quite minor in comparison.

Before: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-gs-350-a.html

After: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-l-sport.html
Old 01-07-13, 06:28 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cin8
Thanks Sydtoosic, I did buy the Wolf's Nano shampoo, I would use that in place of the dawn right or is the Nano shampoo only for post hardbody maintenance?
the dawn is to completely clean the surface of any polishing oils, wax etc. the wolfs shampoo is for maintaining the Hard Body. whenever you wash the car (48 hrs.) after you apply the HB. you use the nano shampoo. it replenishes any damaged areas of the HB. and strengthens the nano technology of the HB. in other words the HB will stay on your paint a lot longer as opposed to using another car shampoo which will degrade the HB after continued use.
Old 01-07-13, 07:04 AM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

Got it, I'll go buy the dawn. Good thing I checked with you, I was going to wash with the nano shampoo then apply the hardbody. Many thanks!!

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
the dawn is to completely clean the surface of any polishing oils, wax etc. the wolfs shampoo is for maintaining the Hard Body. whenever you wash the car (48 hrs.) after you apply the HB. you use the nano shampoo. it replenishes any damaged areas of the HB. and strengthens the nano technology of the HB. in other words the HB will stay on your paint a lot longer as opposed to using another car shampoo which will degrade the HB after continued use.
Old 01-07-13, 08:08 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Got it, I'll go buy the dawn. Good thing I checked with you, I was going to wash with the nano shampoo then apply the hardbody. Many thanks!!
you are very welcome. don't forget the sunglasses...
Old 01-07-13, 05:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Thanks bigguppy, yes, I plan on looking into paintless repair first.
I can't really tell from the picture, but is the dent really the very edge of the panel? It looks like the very edge is pressed in slightly. If thats the case unfortunately PDR won't work...