GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

BMW 535i M Sport vs Lexus GS350 F Sport comparo in Roundel (BMW Car Club) Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-13, 07:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal1984
Some things like the smaller nav is preferred, and that the fact that shifting the drive select left for eco and not sport/sport+ toggle were humorous to me.
Yeah, I laughed about the smaller screen too lol. I'm sure the guy has a 25" TV.
Old 01-05-13, 07:29 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a long time Lexus fan and just buying a 2013 535i Msport, I find this article to hit very close to home.

I still have a soft sport for Lexus in my heart but the current 4GS front end never seemed coherent with the rest of the car especially the rear and that bothered me. Power, handling and interior were awesome similar to the BMW and sometimes better. I cannot compare the BMW to the older generations bimmers but I find it to be a very capable, tight and fast when needed, especially in SPORT and SPORT+ modes and IMO it looks good in M kit.

Lexus has come a LONG way when it comes to handling and power. To be fair, I had a 2GS and a 3GS and they both lacked soul. Awesome and great cars but NOW I understand why Germans were ALL over them in the handling and power category. 4GS is step in the right direction. I cannot wait for the 5GS (still on the list for me)
Old 01-05-13, 08:04 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by NYlexus
Being a long time Lexus fan and just buying a 2013 535i Msport, I find this article to hit very close to home.

I still have a soft sport for Lexus in my heart but the current 4GS front end never seemed coherent with the rest of the car especially the rear and that bothered me. Power, handling and interior were awesome similar to the BMW and sometimes better. I cannot compare the BMW to the older generations bimmers but I find it to be a very capable, tight and fast when needed, especially in SPORT and SPORT+ modes and IMO it looks good in M kit.

Lexus has come a LONG way when it comes to handling and power. To be fair, I had a 2GS and a 3GS and they both lacked soul. Awesome and great cars but NOW I understand why Germans were ALL over them in the handling and power category. 4GS is step in the right direction. I cannot wait for the 5GS (still on the list for me)
I was considering 528 and 535 M Sport before I chose the GS. I agree with you on the exterior. The 5 M Sport looks better. I didnt like the GS exterior at first but it grew in me. More so because of the interior and drive-ability I experience daily. If I had picked the 5, it would have been all about the badge and exterior which I dont get to enjoy. Most importantly this is my daily car. I need one that I can depend on. I didnt test drive the 5 enough so I let others chime in. For me I LOVE this GS.
Old 01-05-13, 09:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

One thing that bugged me about the 5, is that they are literally everywhere. I had come from a car that was everywhere (the ES), and I wanted something a little more unusual.

I see like 10 5's a day.
Old 01-05-13, 09:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,581 Posts

great review, obviously a bmw slant / viewpoint, but still pretty fair.

gs needs to get the 8 speed auto and do something to the front and rear to make it look more classy.

but the fact that it scores a 'close' comparison in a bmw mag no less is a HUGE compliment to lexus!
Old 01-05-13, 10:51 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal1984
Some things like the smaller nav is preferred, and that the fact that shifting the drive select left for eco and not sport/sport+ toggle were humorous to me.
Yeah. looks like he was reaching for negative things to say about the GS and being subtle about it. And no mention about the throttle lag in the 535i?

Also take note that the DRS (rear steering) wasn't equipped in the GS350 F-Sport and addition of that option would still make the GS cheaper than the 535i M-Sport.

Overall, a shockingly balanced comparison considering the source.

STILL, the ending remarks seems like a BMW magazine writer making an apologist statement so that 5 series owners don't feel too bad about their car no longer being THE driver's car

I'll echo earlier posters and say : Who ever thought that there will ever come a day when a Major BMW publication essentially said : " Buy a 5 series for its luxury cause it's no longer tops in driving fun. That belongs to its competitor, the Lexus GS made by Toyota."
Old 01-05-13, 11:41 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No mention of the notorious turbo lag on the 5er? They pointed out problems with the GS' tranny (warranted, it needs an 8 speed stat), so naturally they should also note the input lag on the BMW's engine.

I would only consider the 5er over a GS if it had the GS' engine instead of the turbo 6, and weighed 200lbs less. Oh and some emotion and expressiveness to the styling wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 01-05-13 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-06-13, 12:21 AM
natnut
Pole Position

What should be concerning for BMW is the hollowing out of its core values.

Used to be that BMW held driving experience as sacrosanct. If it came down to a decision of driveability vs other values like luxury and ease of use, they would opt for driveability any time, in a heartbeat.

Now, in a misguided grab for the sales crown from Mercedes Benz, BMW has compromised its core value and gone for the short-term sales figures. But at what cost?

Sure you've caught the fickle non-enthusiast car market by trying to be all things to all people. The current 5 series basically beats the Mercedes E class at its own game by being more solid, luxurious and tank-like while trying to maintain a tenuous hold on sportyness. That's fine for a short-term goal. But it's also alienated the PASSIONATE core of BMW ENTHUSIASTS who are increasingly finding it difficult to make excuses for the fact that their BMWs no longer drive like the Ultimate Driving Machine. Its these passionate loyalists who drive longterm sales of the brand and BMW is chasing them away in droves.

Right now, perception is lagging reality and it's this ( false) perception that BMWs are the ultimate driving cars that continues to give BMW cachet. This cachet is what is driving short-term sales since the majority of the market are the fickle badge-snobs and wannabes who pay money for a badge and don't bother to do research and to find out the automotive reality.

It'll take about 1-2 generations for perception to catch up to reality and if BMW continues down this dangerous path, it will lose its cachet as "UDM" and with no loyal core of enthusiasts to sustain longterm sales, sales will suddenly bottom out once the majority non-enthusiast market catch on to the truth and BMW loses it cachet.

Right now Lexus is in the opposite situation : the new GS is definitely more spacious, more comfortable and more luxurious than the previous generation, so it has not betrayed its core value of useability and luxury. YET, the 4GS is infinitely better to handle than its predecessor. Hopefully the other core value of longterm reliability is retained.

In Short : BMW has betrayed a core value that took it decades to build just to jump to another even though current sales are based on the "perception" of the former core value. Lexus OTOH has retained its core values while adding another bow to its string (handling and dynamism). If things continue as they are, expect sales trends to reverse ( GS increasing in sales while 5 series starts to bottom out.) It won't be quick and may take place over 1-2 generations of model changes but it will be inevitable.

The only caveat is if BMW steals and manages to appropriate the core value of Mercedes for itself ( Tank Like safety and solidity, Germanic Luxury) and steals away the Mercedes loyalists. In that case, MB is screwed.
Old 01-06-13, 05:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut
What should be concerning for BMW is the hollowing out of its core values.
Yes, this is a significant problem for them. I know a few hardcore BMW fans, including a woman who will absolutely drive nothing but a BMW. They really hate the new models, even the 3 series because they are bigger, softer, with lighter steering. She rode in my GS and absolutely loved it, while she hated and teased me endlessly about the ES.

She said totally unprompted "this is more like a BMW than the new BMWs"...and she has not even driven it yet.
Old 01-06-13, 05:42 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

im very impressed with the results versus the BMW which is very good because Lexus needed that boost...
Old 01-06-13, 09:15 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't tell the difference between a 3 series and 5 series anymore.. That's a negative right there you have to get up close and personal to tell before seeing the rear badge. Lexus is on the right track by keeping similar design language but each model has its own personality. Even the 3IS we can tell will be similar to the 4GS but we will be able to tell them apart easily
Old 01-06-13, 10:00 AM
omaralt
Rookie

I also considered both cars closely and ended up with the 535i msport. I just wanted to address a few things mentioned

1- there is no turbo lag in the 5. Some early 2011 models had a throttle lag that is now gone

2- reliability? Do people still believe that crap? Yes, historically bmw's have had bad reliability while the Japanese brands have enjoyed great reliability, but most modern cars nowadays are reliable. There have been no major issues with the new 5. Solid reliability in the three years the Car has been out. Reliability should not be a major concern with either of these two cars. The BMW actually wins in this category because of the free maintenance.

3- most reviewers have given the handling edge to the gs350. Yes. The gs may handle better on the track and you'll shave a few seconds off your time at the Nuremberg ring. Who cares? If driving on a track was of any concern to me neither one of these two cars would even be in consideration. Both handle well enough but the BMW felt more solid and stable on the highway.

I decided for the BMW for multiple reasons:

1- looks; the 5 looks a lot better to me
2- interior was nicer in the 5. The idrive was a lot easier to drive than that mouse thingie.
3- price. I went in expecting the Lexus to be considerably cheaper. However they were not budging much off the MSRP. I was able to get a 5 for well under invoice. MSRP of 65k for 57K
4- I love the low down torque of the 5. The 8 spd auto is nice; I can get 30 mpgs on the highway

At the end of the day both these cars are great, and honestly the fact that the gs can even be compared to the 5 series is a major victory for Lexus.
Old 01-06-13, 10:29 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by omaralt
I also considered both cars closely and ended up with the 535i msport. I just wanted to address a few things mentioned

1- there is no turbo lag in the 5. Some early 2011 models had a throttle lag that is now gone

2- reliability? Do people still believe that crap? Yes, historically bmw's have had bad reliability while the Japanese brands have enjoyed great reliability, but most modern cars nowadays are reliable. There have been no major issues with the new 5. Solid reliability in the three years the Car has been out. Reliability should not be a major concern with either of these two cars. The BMW actually wins in this category because of the free maintenance.

3- most reviewers have given the handling edge to the gs350. Yes. The gs may handle better on the track and you'll shave a few seconds off your time at the Nuremberg ring. Who cares? If driving on a track was of any concern to me neither one of these two cars would even be in consideration. Both handle well enough but the BMW felt more solid and stable on the highway.

I decided for the BMW for multiple reasons:

2- interior was nicer in the 5. The idrive was a lot easier to drive than that mouse thingie.
3- price. I went in expecting the Lexus to be considerably cheaper. However they were not budging much off the MSRP. I was able to get a 5 for well under invoice. MSRP of 65k for 57K
4- I love the low down torque of the 5. The 8 spd auto is nice; I can get 30 mpgs on the highway

At the end of the day both these cars are great, and honestly the fact that the gs can even be compared to the 5 series is a major victory for Lexus.

The GS handles great on and off track. Unlike the 5 series, GS did not gain 300 pounds.

Reliability may not be a concern if you lease it. I for instance, buy my cars and I would never buy a BMW. Lease only! BMW should seriously come with a lifetime warranty.

Looks are subjective. The 5 without the MSport pkg looks bland to me. The interior in 5 is nothing to wow about. The nav screen in 5 series looks small and dated, and the seats are not as comfortable. But things like that are more of personal preferences. Just like the reviewer who liked the smaller screen.

GS was always compared to the 5 series. Its just, this is the first time when the GS is beating it
Old 01-06-13, 10:42 AM
omaralt
Rookie

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
The GS handles great on and off track. Unlike the 5 series, GS did not gain 300 pounds.

i honestly noticed no difference between the two in spirited driving. Maybe some do, but these are ~2 ton luxury barges, not cars you buy if your looking for a nimble car

Reliability may not be a concern if you lease it. I for instance, buy my cars and I would never buy a BMW. Lease only! BMW should seriously come with a lifetime warranty.

who said reliability is not a concern for me? Where are you getting your info that the 5 is unreliable? Please show me some evidence rather than keep repeating the same thing over and over without any evidence to back it up. The new 5 has been a very reliable car with no major issues ; unlike the previous 535 which had a major issue with the fuel pump

Looks are subjective. The 5 without the MSport pkg looks bland to me. The interior in 5 is nothing to wow about. The nav screen in 5 series looks small and dated, and the seats are not as comfortable. But things like that are more of personal preferences. Just like the reviewer who liked the smaller screen.

i agree about the Msport. I wouldn't have purchases without it. But are you serious about the nav screen? The BMW has the second biggest screen next the gs. Dated? Have you seen it? You have honestly lost all credibility with that stupid comment

GS was always compared to the 5 series. Its just, this is the first time when the GS is beating it
They were never seriously compared. The old gs was not In the same league. And looks are subjective. I think the fsport looks horrible. Too disjointed in the front and too bland in the back.
Old 01-06-13, 10:49 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by omaralt

Not according to 5 series owners on BMW forums. And not when I test drove the cars -- lag was evident especially when driven back to back against the normal aspirated GS engine.I guess when you live with substandard things long enough, you grow to accept substandard as normal and don't miss actual quality.

Since all the cars in this segment are so close like you admitted yourself, every little factor is important in deciding which car is superior. It is a FACT that the GS is historically more reliable than the 5 series. I like how you try to dismiss reliability as unimportant. Hello? That's almost the bedrock in almost all considerations when choosing mechanical/electrical products.

BMW and its fans have since time immemorial championed the handling and driving experience of its cars.And used it to hammer other brands including Lexus as less worthy because they couldn't measure up to the Ultimate Driving Machine. It's a bit rich, now that BMW no longer has the handling crown, to suddenly turn around and deny that handling ability is no longer crucial in a BMW, pretending that decades of history of BMW heritage no longer exist and are no longer important to BMW. If you live by the sword, you have to die by the sword. There's no changing the rulebook midgame.

All subjective. Many reviews have praised the GS interior as more luxurious and more upmarket compared to the 5 series.

There's always a price to pay for all that discounting that BMW does. I don't live in the US but historically, doesn't the 5 series depreciate faster than the GS? There's your caveat right there.

Look. There's no discounting the fact that the F10 5 series is a great car for its time and that it's the right car for many people. But a classic like the E39 5 series? Not by a long shot. That car was considered the most complete car of its time and will be considered a legend and a classic in the hearts of any true blue car enthusiast.

Enjoy your car. No car in this segment is bad. Just that IMO, ironically, in this day and age, the car that comes closest to inheriting the mantle from the E39 5 series as the most complete car in the world isn't a BMW, but is the Lexus GS 4th Generation.

Quick Reply: BMW 535i M Sport vs Lexus GS350 F Sport comparo in Roundel (BMW Car Club) Magazine