GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

BMW 535i M Sport vs Lexus GS350 F Sport comparo in Roundel (BMW Car Club) Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-13, 11:12 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by omaralt
I also considered both cars closely and ended up with the 535i msport. I just wanted to address a few things mentioned
1- there is no turbo lag in the 5. Some early 2011 models had a throttle lag that is now gone
Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0rMdjqNxMI#t=05m00s

2- reliability? Do people still believe that crap? Yes, historically bmw's have had bad reliability while the Japanese brands have enjoyed great reliability, but most modern cars nowadays are reliable. There have been no major issues with the new 5. Solid reliability in the three years the Car has been out. Reliability should not be a major concern with either of these two cars. The BMW actually wins in this category because of the free maintenance.
From CR:

Mercedes-Benz and BMW improved, but results were inconsistent for their various models. BMW’s redesigned X3 SUV did well, for example, but the redesigned 5 Series sedan was well below average. Mercedes’ compact GLK SUV improved, but its flagship S-Class luxury sedan fell to below average.
Wait until you put more miles on that turbo 6. I doubt it will be pretty. BMW doesn't really care, most people lease the cars and during that period they offer "free" maintenance (nothing is really free). After the lease is up their buyers have moved on to the newest and latest fashion accessory so reliability is not a concern for their core buyer base. I doubt it has improved much over the bangle 5er or 7er which were quite poor.

3- most reviewers have given the handling edge to the gs350. Yes. The gs may handle better on the track and you'll shave a few seconds off your time at the Nuremberg ring. Who cares? .
Are you not supposed to be buying "the ultimate driving machine" when you buy a BMW? Or are you instead looking for a highway cruiser?
Old 01-06-13, 11:29 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's all about preference, for me, the car is always in eco mode, occasionally put it in s+ and use paddle shifters to take a freeway onramp turn with some 'spirit'

with that said, i fell in love with the 4GS F-Sport and was an easy choice for me.

i'm a big time bmw fan, but was never really impressed with the 5.
Old 01-06-13, 12:54 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

as of right now, by that i meant at this very moment, i would choose the 535i M-Sport over the GS350. 535i is more technical advanced in the drivetrain as of now over the GS. but i would take the GS once it receives the 8 speed auto upgrade, hopefully coming soon.
Old 01-06-13, 01:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,986 Posts

I also easily experienced the turbo lag in the 535.

As for price, when you compare them actually speed up the same, the 5 is about $10,000 more. That's a fact. Even if you paid sticker for a GS (which obviously you don't have to) and got 10% off a 5, the GS is still cheaper.

To me the GS had a much nicer interior, better materials, the no sport packaged steering wheel on the 5 is thin, flat and cheap feeling. Steering is much lighter on the 5 than in the GS.

I really wanted to like the 5, it's a beautiful car, but the GS is just a much better value.

Like I said before, the 5 is so common it's almost ubiquitous.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-06-13 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-06-13, 02:59 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ yep, 5's are like taxis here in NY, I see them everywhere. Not many with MSport package though
Old 01-06-13, 07:30 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Good find. Those guys are hilarious.
is another good one.
Old 01-06-13, 08:38 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New bmw iDrive system is better than Lexus navi system, even back up camera with parking asist is much better.
Lexus should update their navigation map it has been already 7-8 years and nothing is changed including some other stuff.
Old 01-06-13, 09:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,986 Posts

Maybe its just because its what I'm used to, but I completely disagree. I find the Lexus navigation system to be simple, elegant, and functional, whereas the BMW system complicated, less attractive to look at, and harder to use.

Their parking assist is better, I do agree with that.
Old 01-06-13, 11:20 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0rMdjqNxMI#t=05m00s

From CR:

Wait until you put more miles on that turbo 6. I doubt it will be pretty. BMW doesn't really care, most people lease the cars and during that period they offer "free" maintenance (nothing is really free). After the lease is up their buyers have moved on to the newest and latest fashion accessory so reliability is not a concern for their core buyer base. I doubt it has improved much over the bangle 5er or 7er which were quite poor.

Are you not supposed to be buying "the ultimate driving machine" when you buy a BMW? Or are you instead looking for a highway cruiser?
All great points.

Also don't forget the LEXUS has a 6y or 70k POWERTRAIN warranty, the BMW just 4y/ 50k (same with Audi and Mercedes). Acura, Infiniti, and even Cadillac all have 6y/ 70k miles powertrain warranty. I'm sure BMW will increase their powertrain warranty when their engine components can last that long. My buddy's '10 335i (58k mi water pump) just died last week, cost $1,700. I think that should cover maintenance for the first four years. If one of those turbo's go, you're looking at $5k. On my '07, both turbo's had to be replaced, as well as the fuel pump, luckily all before 50k miles. Besides, how much maintenance do you really need in the first 50k miles if you even drive that much?

So why did I buy the BMW back then, because it was the best driver's car. I did it not only once, but twice!

This time, I bought the best driver's car, the GS. It's funny to read about current BMW buyers saying well it's the trend nowadays, people don't care about handling as much as they used to. So BMW don't make cars like they used to. They make what people want. I guess it's your money so do what makes you feel happy.

I love my GS, do not miss the BMW once bit. Reliability is just icing on the cake. But yeah how ironic, BMW is a better daily driver cruiser and LEXUS is a better driver's car. And the BMW's turbo's feels faster, yet is it slower to 60mph. I would guess that it feels faster because of a slight turbo lag, nothing nothing . . .and then all hell breaks loose.

I think BMW are making cars like they used to, always has. But LEXUS has gotten better at doing BMW's jobs. They've raised the bar in building the ultimate driving machine! Just like back in the 1990s when they came out with the LS400. Hopefully the next generation of BMW will beat the LEXUS, count me in as a potential buyer when that happens. But for now, I will enjoy my LEXUS
Old 01-07-13, 06:07 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mso4
All great points.

Also don't forget the LEXUS has a 6y or 70k POWERTRAIN warranty, the BMW just 4y/ 50k (same with Audi and Mercedes). Acura, Infiniti, and even Cadillac all have 6y/ 70k miles powertrain warranty. I'm sure BMW will increase their powertrain warranty when their engine components can last that long. My buddy's '10 335i (58k mi water pump) just died last week, cost $1,700. I think that should cover maintenance for the first four years. If one of those turbo's go, you're looking at $5k. On my '07, both turbo's had to be replaced, as well as the fuel pump, luckily all before 50k miles. Besides, how much maintenance do you really need in the first 50k miles if you even drive that much?

So why did I buy the BMW back then, because it was the best driver's car. I did it not only once, but twice!

This time, I bought the best driver's car, the GS. It's funny to read about current BMW buyers saying well it's the trend nowadays, people don't care about handling as much as they used to. So BMW don't make cars like they used to. They make what people want. I guess it's your money so do what makes you feel happy.

I love my GS, do not miss the BMW once bit. Reliability is just icing on the cake. But yeah how ironic, BMW is a better daily driver cruiser and LEXUS is a better driver's car. And the BMW's turbo's feels faster, yet is it slower to 60mph. I would guess that it feels faster because of a slight turbo lag, nothing nothing . . .and then all hell breaks loose.

I think BMW are making cars like they used to, always has. But LEXUS has gotten better at doing BMW's jobs. They've raised the bar in building the ultimate driving machine! Just like back in the 1990s when they came out with the LS400. Hopefully the next generation of BMW will beat the LEXUS, count me in as a potential buyer when that happens. But for now, I will enjoy my LEXUS
Well said! I owned an '01 330Ci myself, so I have a total appreciation for BMW (or what they used to be), but if I want the best driver's car with the fewest reliability issues, why not go with the Lexus?
Old 01-08-13, 07:56 AM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Herofmine
New bmw iDrive system is better than Lexus navi system, even back up camera with parking asist is much better.
Lexus should update their navigation map it has been already 7-8 years and nothing is changed including some other stuff.
I'm told that new maps for the GS will be available at dealership service centers in late January.
Old 01-08-13, 07:17 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Well said! I owned an '01 330Ci myself, so I have a total appreciation for BMW (or what they used to be), but if I want the best driver's car with the fewest reliability issues, why not go with the Lexus?
Me too! My first BMW was an '01 330Ci. I love that car. It had a full mtech body kit, lower suspension, and 19 in rims. That was my first venture away from Honda/ Acura and trying out European cars. And I was not disappointed in their refinement and driving dynamics.

Unfortunately the auto tranny gave out at 60k miles so it was subsequently sold. $4k to repair and hence I would not own another BMW w/o extended warranty again. Still it was a blast to own and drive while I had it.

Hence now I'm extremely happy with my GS. Up until now I didn't think it was possible to have both great handling with reliability in a single car. Luxury, comfortable ride, and refinement are just extra bonuses. Kudos to LEXUS for a job well done!
Old 01-08-13, 11:41 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mso4
Me too! My first BMW was an '01 330Ci. I love that car. It had a full mtech body kit, lower suspension, and 19 in rims. That was my first venture away from Honda/ Acura and trying out European cars. And I was not disappointed in their refinement and driving dynamics.

Unfortunately the auto tranny gave out at 60k miles so it was subsequently sold. $4k to repair and hence I would not own another BMW w/o extended warranty again. Still it was a blast to own and drive while I had it.

Hence now I'm extremely happy with my GS. Up until now I didn't think it was possible to have both great handling with reliability in a single car. Luxury, comfortable ride, and refinement are just extra bonuses. Kudos to LEXUS for a job well done!
That 330Ci was a classic, and IMHO the interior was sharper than the current one. Too bad you had to sell it. Funny thing, I had the dealer install a spoiler on mine and after I sold it I got a call from the Lexus dealer (I traded it for a GS300) asking who installed the spoiler because it fell off when the person who bought it was driving the car. Made me realize I'd made a good decision.

Yes, the GS is the best of all worlds!

Last edited by dseag2; 01-08-13 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-09-13, 12:14 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Here's a more unbiased comparison from Autoblog

AutoBlog reviews the GS 350 F Sport

The Lexus GS has been chasing the BMW 5 Series for more than two decades. This year, it may have finally leapfrogged its benchmark prey.

The Lexus GS has been chasing the BMW 5 Series for more than two decades. This year, it may have finally leapfrogged its benchmark prey.
The GS 350 is considerably lighter than the BMW 535i (the German tips the scales at 4,090 pounds), and that pays dividends in the handling department. The BMW drives with a comparatively heavy feel while the Lexus comes across with a much more agile demeanor. Road feedback though the wheel isn't perfect, but effort and initial turn-in is spot-on. We'll go so far to say that the steering on the Lexus (in Sport S or Sport S+ mode) feels damn near go-kart quick. There was plenty to enjoy with the F Sport sedan, especially when zipping merrily through our favorite mountain roads.
After a week in the driver's seat, the 2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport left us very impressed – so much so that we're now wondering if this particular enthusiast-tuned GS is a better sport sedan than the benchmark BMW 535i. Those are strong considerations, but the third-generation Japanese contender delivers quicker acceleration, more grip and a much more engaging driving experience. The BMW 5 Series is a fine automobile, but it appears that Lexus has finally managed to raise the all-important sport sedan bar just a bit higher.
Full review:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/26/2013-le...f-sport-review/