GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What kind of Gas Mileage are you getting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 06:51 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a difference in what people are avg. vs the different models (lux, Fsport) I know it shouldn't but would be interesting to see if there are differences between the models.
Old 04-08-13, 09:02 PM
XBimR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is an engine that will get better mileage after a few thousand miles. would be curious if any folks on this forum who previously owned lexus or have had their gs longer would agree.

Edmunds has an interesting article on mileage http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/...mpg-gauge.html
Old 04-09-13, 01:43 PM
ogs rex
Driver School Candidate

im about 50/50 between city/hwy here in LA...

My tanks usually last me anywhere from 280 to 320 miles depending on condition...

Normal mode on city streets and I put it to sport + when im about to hop on the HWY...
Old 04-09-13, 01:59 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Only getting about 22.6 on the highway.I guess 75 MPH-80 MPH will do that.
Only 2K on the odometer,though.
Old 04-09-13, 05:36 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by XBimR
I think this is an engine that will get better mileage after a few thousand miles. .
Why would that be?
Old 04-09-13, 05:52 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
Why would that be?
Because it would be REALLY, REALLY nice if it would happen. Please, please, please!
Old 04-09-13, 08:56 PM
XBimR
Driver

Originally Posted by ECL
Why would that be?
Break in of a motor with tight tolerances.

Take a look at the edmunds articles on MPG, they had MPG improve over time. Also the link I had shows that the computer actually understates MPG. I have seen this on mine too by a few tenths.

Although at the end of the day, who bought this car for fuel economy?
Old 04-09-13, 09:02 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XBimR
Break in of a motor with tight tolerances.
Do you have any evidence that the engine is particularly tight? And if so, will it become more fuel efficient over time as it wears? What is the optimal "broken in-ness" of an engine? There are many people here with more than a few thousand miles on their GSs and I don't recall any of them announcing a breakthrough in fuel economy.

Last edited by williakz; 04-09-13 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Added link: Check "Engine Break In" Tab
Old 04-10-13, 12:18 AM
ECL
Instructor

Originally Posted by williakz
Do you have any evidence that the engine is particularly tight? And if so, will it become more fuel efficient over time as it wears? What is the optimal "broken in-ness" of an engine? There are many people here with more than a few thousand miles on their GSs and I don't recall any of them announcing a breakthrough in fuel economy.
That was the point that I was trying to make. I consistently have had 24-26 MPG in town, about 27 on the highway at 75 MPH. This has been consistent on every tank of gas since I got the car eleven months ago. This is based upon miles driven divided by gallons of gas consumed for each tank refill. The in-dash computer underestimates mileage by about one MPG or a little less, as they report in the Edmonds article..
Old 04-10-13, 05:08 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ECL
That was the point that I was trying to make...This has been consistent on every tank of gas since I got the car eleven months ago.
I think some folk may be seeing what they wish things were rather than what things really are. Your experience mirrors my wife's in her GS450h. She has gotten the same mileage from day one and it is perfectly consistent as long as her driving mix (city/highway) remains the same. I haven't determined how accurate her fuel consumption instrumentation is. When I do, I'll post it.
Old 04-10-13, 06:09 AM
XBimR
Driver

Admittedly I may be hopeful for some mileage improvements, although this car still gets me the same mpg as my 3 series but with more weight and power, so overall I'm ok with it. I didn't buy it for mpg anywhere near the top factor, otherwise I would have bought 5 series or frankly a Prius or other econobox.

My "evidence" that it will improve is that same Edmunds blog, which if you sort by mpg and then look at the two road trips they did at the beginning in CA and later on to TX you'll see that mileage did improve. Granted that could be many other factors other than the engine having more miles on it, however it is a real world example.
Old 04-19-13, 11:34 AM
ECL
Instructor

My GS is now one year old with 4300 miles on the odometer. Filled the tank today, 26.3 MPG measured, the second best mileage since new. All in town driving, no highway, usually in Sport+, and no hyper -miling techniques used. I cannot see that using the economy setting makes any difference. I rarely use the AC. For this tank, the on dash computer showed 25.5 MPG since last fill up.

Last edited by ECL; 04-19-13 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-19-13, 04:44 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only have 850 miles on my GS and averaging around 19 mpg. I don't know how you're all averaging mid-20s. I'm not even flooring the car or driving very fast. The GS is my relaxed driving car. It does the same mpg as my BMW M6 with 8900 miles on it and a 560 hp V8 which I drive hard most of the time. I don't understand....
Old 04-19-13, 06:44 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Hey guys, my update here. But first I would like to state that I am one of those that drives in the city and my mileage is about 15mpg with that driving. I'm averaging about 18mpg though when I mix in the limited highway driving I've been doing.

Last weekend I took my first long highway drive and would like to note that I noticed a decent improvement in mileage from when I took the car last Spring. With a "fully loaded" car (me, my wife, my toddler son, and my infant) and with no A/C on in Spring weather, I got a whopping 25mpg! That's about 1.5mpg better than any previous highway drive. In fact, for that same route (and going 60mph instead of the 70mph I averaged in my 25mpg drive) with just me in the car, the best I got was just over 23mpg.

My car has just under 10,000 miles on it.

In brief, looks like I got about a 1.5mpg improvement in mileage.

As an engineer I do have to say that this test is not scientific.

M
Old 04-19-13, 06:53 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jettie1767
I only have 850 miles on my GS and averaging around 19 mpg. I don't know how you're all averaging mid-20s. I'm not even flooring the car or driving very fast. The GS is my relaxed driving car. It does the same mpg as my BMW M6 with 8900 miles on it and a 560 hp V8 which I drive hard most of the time. I don't understand....
In more important news, how is that M6 treating you. You should share some pics with us.

Quick Reply: What kind of Gas Mileage are you getting?