GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY puddle light led

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 06:03 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Doing this today! So it's one bulb in the trunk right?
Old 06-24-13, 06:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Doing this today! So it's one bulb in the trunk right?
One bulb..
Old 06-24-13, 01:37 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427

My GS is white so the stock bulb really looks yellow against the GS when illuminated.I'm just looking to get rid of the yellow look.
Is the Sylvania LED side view pic really that bright on the ground?The light output for me seems like too much but maybe the camera is the cause.
Odd no illumination at all on the GS.
The last few installs on my Lexus model puddles with the VLED 4LED flanks were perfect.Many on the forums felt the same with their installs but those installs had the LED flanks in more of a horizontal position facing the ground.
It seems the newer Lexus models have the LED on an angle toward the street,true?Yet,stock bulbs hit the side of the GS a bit.
My old BMW had LED puddle lights under the front and back door handles. So it was much brighter. Maybe it's the camera but I don't think these are too bright at all. As a matter of fact I would love it if its even brighter.

The outside lense are roughly parallel to the ground. The inside bulb is slightly angled. But I definitely don't think they are too bright.
Old 06-24-13, 01:51 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mso4
My old BMW had LED puddle lights under the front and back door handles. So it was much brighter. Maybe it's the camera but I don't think these are too bright at all. As a matter of fact I would love it if its even brighter.

The outside lense are roughly parallel to the ground. The inside bulb is slightly angled. But I definitely don't think they are too bright.
Thanks,mso.
I guess the bulbs is slightly angles away from the car on new Lexus vehicles.
I now I don't know which LEDs to use.
I have a set of hi power 5K 4 LED flanks on back order from VLEDS that should be shipped 1st week of July.
I ordered one Sylvania LED from Amazon for the trunk.May try it in a puddle.
The Sylvania LED is 1 watt and the VLEDS 4 LED flank is 2 watts.
Amazon states 2-4 weeks on that bulb for delivery,though.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-24-13 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 07:50 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

So I got to install the trunk light and one of the puddle light. The difference in the trunk is phenomenal! I love the puddle lamp also but my god, it was so unnerving taking the mirror apart. I cringed while pulling the mirror off. I lamenting doing the second one tomorrow morning.
Old 06-25-13, 10:24 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Thanks,mso.

I ordered one Sylvania LED from Amazon for the trunk.May try it in a puddle.
The Sylvania LED is 1 watt and the VLEDS 4 LED flank is 2 watts.
Amazon states 2-4 weeks on that bulb for delivery,though.
You're welcome.

I couldn't wait to get rid of these yellow bulbs lol. I love the way the trunk looks now. Before it looked depressing w that yellow bulb. Now it looks modern, bright, and cheerful. So glad the local Autozone had them in stock.

Originally Posted by yardie876
So I got to install the trunk light and one of the puddle light. The difference in the trunk is phenomenal! I love the puddle lamp also but my god, it was so unnerving taking the mirror apart. I cringed while pulling the mirror off. I lamenting doing the second one tomorrow morning.
I know what you mean. At least we don't have to do that again for a very long time. I wish I can activate the side puddle without using the key fob. Because when you just open the door w the door handle the puddle doesn't light up. Or do I need to adjust something? I would love to have the puddle light up more and often. Without the use of key fob.

Jon

Last edited by mso4; 06-25-13 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-25-13, 11:48 AM
axiom00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mso4
...? I would love to have the puddle light up more and often. Without the use of key fob.
Jon
Mine lights up when I am approaching the vehicle. Stays lit for another 15s after I unlock using the handle.

Check pg. 785 of your manual. Do you have "Exterior Light Off Timer" set to OFF?
Old 06-25-13, 01:38 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Advance auto parts, Pep boys, Autozone both instore and online do carry the sylvania led bulbs. No need to wait for Amazon.
Old 06-25-13, 01:59 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onexcite
Advance auto parts, Pep boys, Autozone both instore and online do carry the sylvania led bulbs. No need to wait for Amazon.
Call ahead and make sure they have it though.I went to 2 advance auto parts with no luck until I found an auto zone that happened to have more than 2 in stock.
Old 06-25-13, 01:59 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by axiom00
Mine lights up when I am approaching the vehicle. Stays lit for another 15s after I unlock using the handle.

Check pg. 785 of your manual. Do you have "Exterior Light Off Timer" set to OFF?
You're right it does light up w the door handles. I guess the incandescents were so dim I never noticed lol
Old 06-25-13, 02:00 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, saw this thread right before I left work. Stopped at Autozone and bought one for less than $10, installed it on the spot too. Took 30 seconds. What a difference! I should have done this a long time ago.
Old 07-05-13, 03:44 PM
Blackhawks
Driver School Candidate

I ordered some new 192 map lights from vleds.com and they didn't work. Apparently, the interior bulbs need dual polarity to trigger when the door is opened. They DO work when the button is pressed, however. For those successful enough to install these LEDs in their puddle lights, do you know if they are dual polarity?
I would hate to pull my mirror off and have it not work.

I purchased (for the puddle lights) 194_4_RB_W_6k for the puddle lights and they do not work in the map housing, so I know that they are not dual polarity. The map lights were 194_HP_W_6k

Thanks,
Brian
Old 07-05-13, 04:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackhawks
I ordered some new 192 map lights from vleds.com and they didn't work. Apparently, the interior bulbs need dual polarity to trigger when the door is opened. They DO work when the button is pressed, however. For those successful enough to install these LEDs in their puddle lights, do you know if they are dual polarity?
I would hate to pull my mirror off and have it not work.

I purchased (for the puddle lights) 194_4_RB_W_6k for the puddle lights and they do not work in the map housing, so I know that they are not dual polarity. The map lights were 194_HP_W_6k

Thanks,
Brian
If they are the $14.99 a pair 4 Led flanks, they are dual polarity. I have them in my door panels and will use them in the mirror puddles.
I went with the 5K.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-05-13 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 04:11 PM
Blackhawks
Driver School Candidate

Ok... I didn't buy flanks for the puddles. They were $14.99, though. The style I bought is more downfiring like the map lights. I did buy flanks for another project, but the output will probably be too weak.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-06-13, 05:30 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just completed this, thanks to OP. Just in case anyone have a fitting issue, you are suppose to take the back cover off once you remove all the screws.

Also to note, you can put a very large LED bulb in there. The hole is huge, it's just shallow but even then it has a lot of room.

Quick Reply: DIY puddle light led