GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2 Coats of 22PLE

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 08:26 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm a fanatic too. When I was in high school, I used to detail cars for my dad's stock broker friends and earn my spending money that way. I loved compounding faded paint finishes and waxing them and returning brand-new looking cars to these guys. They were amazed and paid well for it.

I guess I'm still that high school kid at heart because I'm really particular about my cars. I washed my car on Friday. It poured today, so I washed it again this afternoon because I know tomorrow is going to be sunny. I inherited from my dad. He wouldn't even let me put gum wrappers in the ashtrays of his cars growing up.

Hey, Syd, take care of that back. Don't spend too many hours crouching over your computer!
a clean car is a happy car. same here, no eating or drinking, no nothing in dads car. i'm doing good, resisting the urge to wash until tuesday. the back is actually cooperating today, for now... but 10 seconds later all hell can break loose, getting up takes about 2 minutes, walking to the room takes another 5 minutes, mind you i'm hunched over the whole time looking at the floor while i'm walking. the neck is a big problem also. i'll live...

Originally Posted by Vasili
Ok. Thanks!

Washed her today at a self wash place. In this cold that's my only option.

Btw, we have a rabbit, too. No chinchillas yet.
did you take your buckets and gizmos? the chinchilla is actually quite cool. i didn't know those damn things barked. they're nocturnal so the noise he makes at night is ridiculous. you guys don't have to worry about washing, but this damn super soft obsidian paint is a PITA. i can't even wipe dry, i have to blot dry.

Originally Posted by Ls400RR
Wow that finish looks insane. Super super clean
that's the results from a great detailer, i just have to maintain it.
Old 01-13-13, 10:22 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sydtoosic

did you take your buckets and gizmos? :
How did you know? Was there a camera? I did bring my buckets, but I used the high pressure water instead. 35 degree temps made me want to get it done quick. The rim shield will go on in my garage. I'll let you know how that goes...
Old 01-13-13, 11:24 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

How did you know? Was there a camera? I did bring my buckets, but I used the high pressure water instead. 35 degree temps made me want to get it done quick. The rim shield will go on in my garage. I'll let you know how that goes...
we're clean car fanatics, why would you not take your buckets. 35 is pretty cold. well for me anyway, i hate the cold weather. anything below 60 is cold to me. i always fill the buckets with warm water. how many coats of Rim Shield are on your wheels already? 4 should be good for the winter.
Old 01-13-13, 08:15 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

we're clean car fanatics, why would you not take your buckets. 35 is pretty cold. well for me anyway, i hate the cold weather. anything below 60 is cold to me. i always fill the buckets with warm water. how many coats of Rim Shield are on your wheels already? 4 should be good for the winter.
I brought the buckets, but I didn't think about filling them before hand. I thought i could fill then at the self-wash. I only have one lid, so filling them might have meant spilling them in the car on the way there. That would have sucked big time! I'll pick up another lid from Pepboys (the place I got the buckets) for next time I go there. Got some cold days coming, so it might be a few days tip the next wash.

I'm gonna put on the rim shield tomorrow. 4 coats, eh? No problem.
Old 01-14-13, 06:46 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Syd: If you don't mind me asking, how much did the whole detailing appointment cost you? I know ZERO about operating an orbital machine and would definitely need to have the paint fixed before putting anything like that on. However, I'm not too sure that applying the 22PLE will do much to make the red color "pop". Maintaining a black car is maddening, but the results are worth it. My red car may be glossy, but it won't have the depth, so I'm not sure it's worth my time/money.
Old 01-14-13, 09:42 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Syd: If you don't mind me asking, how much did the whole detailing appointment cost you? I know ZERO about operating an orbital machine and would definitely need to have the paint fixed before putting anything like that on. However, I'm not too sure that applying the 22PLE will do much to make the red color "pop". Maintaining a black car is maddening, but the results are worth it. My red car may be glossy, but it won't have the depth, so I'm not sure it's worth my time/money.
what's good J... Phil charged me $850.00, my paint was jacked (thanx Anthony). and that obsidian as Phil puts it "was a nightmare". you can actually scratch the paint (obsidian) with a MF towel. that's how soft it is. he would correct, wipe, and then have to correct where he wiped. your RR might be more forgiving as far as it not being as soft as the OB. so the less time he spends correcting the less he'll charge. applying the 22PLE to your RR would definitely be beneficial. you will get the same gloss and depth and protection, although it won't be as noticeable as on the OB, unless you look from certain angles. IMO you should have it done. i'm lacking in DA skills also, i have some skills but i wouldn't call myself professional... i do okay. you will have the gloss and pop factor with the 22PLE, not to mention the protection. your car is way easier to maintain than mine. is your paint 2 or 3 stage?
Old 01-14-13, 12:15 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

It's not pearl, so probably 2 stage. It is heavily metallic though.
Old 01-14-13, 12:24 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtrue28
It's not pearl, so probably 2 stage. It is heavily metallic though.
you're right, pearl paint has more stages which in turn makes it a little more durable. so your 2 stage paint is probably soft... as soft as mine, IDK. if you have an LED flashlight... put the car in the garage and leave the lights off. turn on the flashlight and look at the condition of your paint. the led will pick up most if not all of the imperfections. and you'll know how much correction you need.
Old 01-14-13, 01:34 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is 22PLE better than Optiguard?
Old 01-14-13, 01:54 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Is 22PLE better than Optiguard?
to be honest that's TBD. they are different coatings... one claims to be better than the other. i've never applied OC 2.0 on my car. the results are basically the same, although one is permanent (OC) and the other is semi-permanent (22PLE). the gloss and hydrophobic properties from 22PLE is amazing... which i believe has surpassed OC 2.0, in terms of durability IDK as of yet. hoping for the best.
Old 01-14-13, 07:28 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

what's good J... Phil charged me $850.00, my paint was jacked (thanx Anthony). and that obsidian as Phil puts it "was a nightmare". you can actually scratch the paint (obsidian) with a MF towel. that's how soft it is. he would correct, wipe, and then have to correct where he wiped. your RR might be more forgiving as far as it not being as soft as the OB. so the less time he spends correcting the less he'll charge. applying the 22PLE to your RR would definitely be beneficial. you will get the same gloss and depth and protection, although it won't be as noticeable as on the OB, unless you look from certain angles. IMO you should have it done. i'm lacking in DA skills also, i have some skills but i wouldn't call myself professional... i do okay. you will have the gloss and pop factor with the 22PLE, not to mention the protection. your car is way easier to maintain than mine. is your paint 2 or 3 stage?
I'm so thankful that I decided on Riviera Red!

Sounds like obsidian is a bit of a headache...
Old 01-14-13, 08:47 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

I'm so thankful that I decided on Riviera Red!

Sounds like obsidian is a bit of a headache...
yes... be thankful. the obsidian being a bit of a headache is an understatement. like Phil stated, "it's a nightmare". the 5 day waiting period is up tomorrow , now i can give her a bath. i've got my buckets, grit guards, uber wool wash mitts, shampoo, wolfs clean and coat wheel cleaner, wolfs nano shampoo (Phil said the nano shampoo will be fine), 3 bags of MF towels, uber drying towels, waffle weave drying towels, fireman hose connector, foam gun... did i leave anything out. i can't wait.
Old 01-14-13, 09:28 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

yes... be thankful. the obsidian being a bit of a headache is an understatement. like Phil stated, "it's a nightmare". the 5 day waiting period is up tomorrow , now i can give her a bath. i've got my buckets, grit guards, uber wool wash mitts, shampoo, wolfs clean and coat wheel cleaner, wolfs nano shampoo (Phil said the nano shampoo will be fine), 3 bags of MF towels, uber drying towels, waffle weave drying towels, fireman hose connector, foam gun... did i leave anything out. i can't wait.
I know you are chomping at the bit. I can't wait to see the final pics tomorrow!
Old 01-14-13, 10:11 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
I know you are chomping at the bit. I can't wait to see the final pics tomorrow!
yes I am my friend, yes I am. Weather permitting, hopefully it will be a good day.
Old 01-15-13, 07:40 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Alright man, I hope you're out there washing it right now. I can probably speak for all of us and say we cannot wait to see the final results.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2 Coats of 22PLE