GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Pre-collision system works well, but I almost got into an accident because of it

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 10:42 AM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Prevention can only do so much, in most cases I have seen it do the complete opposite it was intended to do. The blind spot monitor will only do so much as well, but at the end of the day, you still should look every time. Technology can only TRY helping so much.. Glad to hear your alright, I went 120 degrees into a Semi gas tanker in my old IS, not a fun experience. I could only imagine what would have happened if it was raining out or if you were on snow...
Old 01-11-13, 11:17 AM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scary, so glad your ok and didn't get into an accident because of it!
Old 01-11-13, 11:19 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

shame on your dealer for not doing a proper delivery of your car. Hopefully nothing is wrong and its just learning how the PCS functions.
Old 01-11-13, 06:16 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
shame on your dealer for not doing a proper delivery of your car. Hopefully nothing is wrong and its just learning how the PCS functions.
Whoa! What would a "proper delivery" by the gentleman's dealer entail that is germane to his lane-changing tale of woe?

"Um, sir, there is ONE thing. You can no longer perform lane changes in traffic as the system is apt to stop you between lanes, likely causing a minimum of two cars to hit you and an average of 14 additional automobiles to pile into one another. Now, how about that Levinson stereo?"

Think how many "normal" traffic maneuvers we perform on a routine basis that could reasonably be interpreted by a computer system as an impending crash. Then think of how a rapid stop in the middle of such maneuvers would affect your care and control of the vehicle. Finally, consider how others would react to your unexpected stop in the middle of what they all recognize as a routine traffic move.

THIS IS NOT GOOD!
Old 01-11-13, 07:31 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Here is a Video of how it works, I would def. get it checked as maybe something is wrong maybe there was a glitch or error that occurred.
Old 01-11-13, 08:53 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Here is a Video of how it works...
No, that's a marketing video presented by an "engineery" guy to fool people like you into believing you're getting information rather than ad copy. Here's how you can tell:

How does the system decide whether you are falling asleep or checking something outside the vehicle?

How aggressively and under what conditions will the system apply the brakes by itself?

Does the system know about the 18-wheeler coming fast upon you when it slams on the brakes for an obstruction you could easily swerve to avoid?

Is the system aware that applying brakes in traffic under various road conditions (think mountains) can be much more dangerous even than colliding with the object/vehicle in front of you?

Name any QUANTIFIABLE operating parameters that were disclosed during the "how it works" video. What, no numbers at all?

Finally, after watching the video, do you have ANY concerns about the system's operation under the varied conditions in the real word? No? Well, maybe I missed the content you extracted from the video.
Old 01-11-13, 11:12 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the Driver Attention Monitor is active and decides if you're asleep or not facing forward only when a collision is imminent. you have your choice of 3 set distances... 10ft., 30ft., 50ft. i always choose 10ft, because if someone cuts in front of you the DRCC will reduce your engine speed so i opt for 10 so there's less chance of someone cutting in front of you and the car you are behind. so i always stay at a constant pace via CC. say i get within 10ft. of the car in front and i fall asleep, the DRCC will reduce engine speed (not apply the brakes) if i'm still asleep 2-3 seconds later the DRCC will aggressively apply the brakes and sound the sirens in the car. if i begin to veer out of my lane(above 25MPH) the LKA will sound sirens, send steering torque to the SW and nudge you back into the center of the lane in which you are driving. DRCC set at 10FT. you get aggressive braking (enough to wake your *** up or get your attention if you're not looking). at 30FT. you'll have less aggressive braking, and at 50FT. is the least aggressive... mind you, your engine speed is being continuously reduced before the brakes are even applied. now after all that and you'e still asleep your SB will tighten via sensor... i've used every option in my car and never had a problem, i believe it could be improved somewhat. overall i'm satisfied. yeah SNiiP3R, i would have that whole system checked, the sensors, cameras etc...

Last edited by sydtoosic; 01-12-13 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 11:28 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the great explanation. A few questions if you don't mind:

1. How does the system decide whether you are falling asleep or checking something outside the vehicle?

2. Does the system know about the 18-wheeler coming fast upon you when it slams on the brakes for an obstruction you could easily swerve to avoid?

3. Is the system aware that applying brakes in traffic under various road conditions (think mountains) can be much more dangerous even than colliding with the object/vehicle in front of you?

4. Can you explain how the system was not working as designed (not as desired, obviously) in the situation described by the OP? Can you see how your vehicle could exhibit the EXACT same behavior (possibly with more serious results) given the same set of circumstances. My question is: what components or logic do you believe could be responsible for actions of the OP's GS? How or why do you think the system got confused and decided to brake to a stop in traffic?

Thanks for your input. I am considering the same system on an LS460, but I am seriously concerned with this report. I do NOT take manufacturers and/or their marketing arms at their word as I have worked at both during my career.
Old 01-12-13, 12:40 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by williakz
Thanks for the great explanation. A few questions if you don't mind:

1. How does the system decide whether you are falling asleep or checking something outside the vehicle?

2. Does the system know about the 18-wheeler coming fast upon you when it slams on the brakes for an obstruction you could easily swerve to avoid?

3. Is the system aware that applying brakes in traffic under various road conditions (think mountains) can be much more dangerous even than colliding with the object/vehicle in front of you?

4. Can you explain how the system was not working as designed (not as desired, obviously) in the situation described by the OP? Can you see how your vehicle could exhibit the EXACT same behavior (possibly with more serious results) given the same set of circumstances. My question is: what components or logic do you believe could be responsible for actions of the OP's GS? How or why do you think the system got confused and decided to brake to a stop in traffic?

Thanks for your input. I am considering the same system on an LS460, but I am seriously concerned with this report. I do NOT take manufacturers and/or their marketing arms at their word as I have worked at both during my career.
#1 it determines whether you're asleep or not paying attention when you fail to react to the reduced engine speed and the sirens (i call them sirens), that's when it begins to apply the brakes for you.
#2 if this 18 wheeler is behind you when the brakes are applied... then that's something you won't be able to avoid. the answer is , no the system wouldn't know about the 18 wheeler behind you.
#3 the system would not know this unless it was a DNA based computer system.
#4 i can't explain why the system did not work as designed. the components in question would be the sensor behind the lexus logo on the grill, and the camera mounted behind the RVM. was the camera lens obstructed, was the sensor on the grill damaged and or dirty, did the braking system react prematurely when it just stopped. it could be a number of things, but i would check the most obvious first.
you are welcome... input is free. i to am considering the 2013 LS460. i feel your concern, it's a damn shame consumers are sometimes subject to products that do not perform as they should, if at all.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 01-12-13 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-12-13, 02:31 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Default A frightening option if misundertood/misused!

Coming from a company, or government for that matter, that doesn't allow for dialed telephone calls or nav input while driving, I'm glad I didn't avail myself of this one..... Sounds like prime litigation material to me.
Old 01-12-13, 05:19 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
#1 it determines whether you're asleep or not paying attention when you fail to react to the reduced engine speed and the sirens (i call them sirens), that's when it begins to apply the brakes for you.
#2 if this 18 wheeler is behind you when the brakes are applied... then that's something you won't be able to avoid. the answer is , no the system wouldn't know about the 18 wheeler behind you.
#3 the system would not know this unless it was a DNA based computer system.
#4 i can't explain why the system did not work as designed. the components in question would be the sensor behind the lexus logo on the grill, and the camera mounted behind the RVM. was the camera lens obstructed, was the sensor on the grill damaged and or dirty, did the braking system react prematurely when it just stopped. it could be a number of things, but i would check the most obvious first.
you are welcome... input is free. i to am considering the 2013 LS460. i feel your concern, it's a damn shame consumers are sometimes subject to products that do not perform as they should, if at all.
This is a great feature but I can see I would pass on this as before I probably would have added it.
Old 01-12-13, 05:56 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

the Driver Attention Monitor is active and decides if you're asleep or not facing forward only when a collision is imminent. you have your choice of 3 set distances... 10ft., 30ft., 50ft. i always choose 10ft, because if someone cuts in front of you the DRCC will reduce your engine speed so i opt for 10 so there's less chance of someone cutting in front of you and the car you are behind. so i always stay at a constant pace via CC. say i get within 10ft. of the car in front and i fall asleep, the DRCC will reduce engine speed (not apply the brakes) if i'm still asleep 2-3 seconds later the DRCC will aggressively apply the brakes and sound the sirens in the car. if i begin to veer out of my lane(above 25MPH) the LKA will sound sirens, send steering torque to the SW and nudge you back into the center of the lane in which you are driving. DRCC set at 10FT. you get aggressive braking (enough to wake your *** up or get your attention if you're not looking). at 30FT. you'll have less aggressive braking, and at 50FT. is the least aggressive... mind you, your engine speed is being continuously reduced before the brakes are even applied. now after all that and you'e still asleep your SB will tighten via sensor... i've used every option in my car and never had a problem, i believe it could be improved somewhat. overall i'm satisfied. yeah SNiiP3R, i would have that whole system checked, the sensors, cameras etc...
Well, the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is flawless here, I never had any problems with it. It works as it should. The Pre-Collision system is a lot harder to test if you know what I mean

I highly doubt that anything is wrong with APCS itself. There could be other factors that perhpas I did not take into account. For instance, the car in my lane was probably doing 20 - 25mph. Hence, I was approaching it at much faster rate. This could have triggered the APCS. Another thing to note, that I just remembered, is that my front side sensors went on when I was switching lanes, indicating that an object ( in this case ) the car was on my left. Not sure if parking sensors are connected to APCS in anyway ?

I will talk to my dealer next time. For now, dipping in between the lanes with this system on is impossible or even dangerous
Old 01-12-13, 06:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Does the Lexus system perform a panic stop?
I believe the German vehicles do.
Old 01-12-13, 07:12 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Well, the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is flawless here, I never had any problems with it. It works as it should. The Pre-Collision system is a lot harder to test if you know what I mean

I highly doubt that anything is wrong with APCS itself. There could be other factors that perhpas I did not take into account. For instance, the car in my lane was probably doing 20 - 25mph. Hence, I was approaching it at much faster rate. This could have triggered the APCS. Another thing to note, that I just remembered, is that my front side sensors went on when I was switching lanes, indicating that an object ( in this case ) the car was on my left. Not sure if parking sensors are connected to APCS in anyway ?

I will talk to my dealer next time. For now, dipping in between the lanes with this system on is impossible or even dangerous
yes sir, i know what you mean, don't test it . if your front sensor alerted you, then you were a little to close to the car in front when you began to change your lane. these systems are sensitive and do work as they should but some don't. i'm still trying to figure out why your car stopped while changing lanes. i believe you when you say there's nothing wrong with your system. just be careful. no, the parking system doesn't work in sync with the APCS. however if you think about it... it does. even though if you get to close or someone gets to close, it will alert you whether you're using APCS or not. at what distance are your parking sensors set for? maybe that played a role. reading your post i'm inclined to believe we do have the Advanced PCS such as the LS.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Does the Lexus system perform a panic stop?
I believe the German vehicles do.
i know the LS has that feature at speeds of 25MPH and below i think it should be higher. i read where the panic stop system is a PITA. if 100 cars cut in front of you in a day... you'll be one panic stopping ***. i'm not sure which German vehicle offers this feature.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 01-12-13 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-12-13, 07:21 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the system on my GS, and while I've been quite happy with the radar cruise control, the pre-collision part is a disappointment (haven't been able to provoke it to kicking in...not even the warning...and there's only so far I'm willing to push it).

We also have a 2012 Volvo S80 with their anti-collision system and radar cruise control; Volvo blows the Lexus system away, BIG TIME! Lexus should be ashamed that a car that's at least $10k cheaper has far superior safety technology..

I love my new GS. The comfort leaves nothing to be desired, and the power is more than adequate.
There are a lot of good reasons to take a Lexus over a Volvo, but pre-collision technology is NOT one of them.

Quick Reply: Pre-collision system works well, but I almost got into an accident because of it