GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Pre-collision system works well, but I almost got into an accident because of it

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 05:03 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
^^^ I went to local dealer in Brooklyn when that happened to me. They said that they only have one person who might know something about these systems and he is not in today LOL...... My guess is their techs are not too familiar with these systems.
you're probably right, they know nothing about these systems. i'll take the car in first thing and see if i can find out anything.
Old 03-01-13, 05:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
first thing in the morning i will go to Lexus and grab a tech and a service manager and explain step by step what happened today. i have not found any videos that extensively explain the inner workings of whatever system it may be that's causing this. i do know that i was too close to the car bumper in front of me before i changed lanes the gauge display just flashed lights and i heard the beeping. that was my fault for being to close and the sensors and beeping did what they were designed to do... it's the sudden stop that is a major concern. will let you guys know what the techie and service manager have to say. i'm also curious as to the term gullible... who or what were you referring to???
its not parking sensors :-). It has separate sensors for pre-collision system.
Old 03-07-13, 12:24 PM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last weekend it worked flawlessly. I avoided a breaking car in a high speed lane by taking the slow lane. Her bloody red lights didnt lit when she started breaking. ****y Volvo. She did a sudden break because a rabbit passed the road.
Old 03-07-13, 06:43 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to hear it did what it was supposed to do
FYI its brakes, not breaks
Old 03-08-13, 09:33 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCS is only active when cruise control is on right? If it's off, then there's nothing to worry about?????
Old 03-08-13, 09:46 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The PCS (only preps, does not actively brake) in my 2013 LS460 "went off" today. I was doing a quick lane change in heavy traffic and I saw peripherally the central display area (between tach and speedo) start flashing (orange?). I did not notice any changes in seat belt tension, steering, or braking (although I was not braking at the time). The flashing display was only momentary, and I still don't know if there were any words or symbols shown. I suspect the same distance/speed calcs were in play in my situation as in the sticky wicket the OP experienced. Thank God I do NOT have the active system. I cannot stand the idea of a "dumb" computer overriding my carefully considered and critically executed vehicle moves in traffic. Another instance of where the system operates at the worst possible moment to the worst effect with the best intentions. Is this the government in our cars??
Old 03-08-13, 10:43 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
The PCS (only preps, does not actively brake) in my 2013 LS460 "went off" today. I was doing a quick lane change in heavy traffic and I saw peripherally the central display area (between tach and speedo) start flashing (orange?). I did not notice any changes in seat belt tension, steering, or braking (although I was not braking at the time). The flashing display was only momentary, and I still don't know if there were any words or symbols shown. I suspect the same distance/speed calcs were in play in my situation as in the sticky wicket the OP experienced. Thank God I do NOT have the active system. I cannot stand the idea of a "dumb" computer overriding my carefully considered and critically executed vehicle moves in traffic. Another instance of where the system operates at the worst possible moment to the worst effect with the best intentions. Is this the government in our cars??
The flashing light (and probably the beeping sound) that you saw / heard was just a warning, I get that too from time to time. However, if you fail to stop or the object in front of you is getting too close too fast then the car will apply the brakes for you.