GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

how much crap do you guys get for owning a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-13, 09:53 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i wonder if everyone paid cars in full, no one took out loans, how many cars would actually sell? hmmmmm
Old 01-20-13, 09:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Not many LOL
Old 01-20-13, 10:04 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always been religious about buying cars outright, in cash, and I have NEVER been in debt. It's probably my biggest fear.

I think I read keeping a car for 10 yrs as opposed to 5 will save you around a quarter million dollars in your life.... I plan on keeping my SC400 for 30+ years.
Old 01-20-13, 10:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Absolutely, buying an older car and keeping it forever is by far the cheapest way to own a car. However, if driving a new car is something you enjoy and you can afford it...you only live once. Can't take that quarter million dollars with you. I understand having my cars the way I have them costs me a lot of money...but I work hard and make a good living, and they bring me a *lot* of enjoyment.

I think some people get carried away with trying to do everything the cheapest and most efficient way possible. I might not wind up in a coffin with the most money, but I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my life.

Drive the car you want, take that vacation you and your family want because you never know what tomorrow will bring. Just be smart about it, don't overspend and get in over your head, because that puts a damper on your life too. Figure out what you want, and take some time planning out the best way to go about doing it...but don't do without in the name of winding up in a coffin with more money. Thats just my philosophy.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-20-13 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-20-13, 10:31 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW10ES
your advice is completely irrelevant.

Not once in this conversation did I say I would like to give you some advice.

It started out with me sharing a personal conversation I had with someone and you decided to turn it into an argument.

You asked about the problems I have with leasing and I shared Dave Ramsey's advice. After that you made some insinuations that were incorrect...like me calling you stupid...which I never did.

Let's not make this anymore than what it is. I'm sorry I even shared a conversation I had with someone. I'll think better of it next time.
Old 01-21-13, 08:59 AM
stick22
Driver

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Drive the car you want, take that vacation you and your family want because you never know what tomorrow will bring. Just be smart about it, don't overspend and get in over your head, because that puts a damper on your life too. Figure out what you want, and take some time planning out the best way to go about doing it...but don't do without in the name of winding up in a coffin with more money. Thats just my philosophy.
wise words to live by. i have too many friends who forget to live life. it seems like they're just trying to get a high score in a game instead of enjoying it
Old 01-21-13, 09:13 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasili
Not once in this conversation did I say I would like to give you some advice.

It started out with me sharing a personal conversation I had with someone and you decided to turn it into an argument.

You asked about the problems I have with leasing and I shared Dave Ramsey's advice. After that you made some insinuations that were incorrect...like me calling you stupid...which I never did.

Let's not make this anymore than what it is. I'm sorry I even shared a conversation I had with someone. I'll think better of it next time.
V... don't apologize for sharing your opinion, just don't get lured into a pissing contest. if someone is opinionated, it's not going to change their view and i'm sure your opinion won't change either no matter how much you go back and forth trying to explain your opinions. at 5:00 pm nothing will have changed.
Old 01-21-13, 09:59 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
V... don't apologize for sharing your opinion, just don't get lured into a pissing contest. if someone is opinionated, it's not going to change their view and i'm sure your opinion won't change either no matter how much you go back and forth trying to explain your opinions. at 5:00 pm nothing will have changed.
I know all of that. Thanks, dude.

I've been posting on forums since 2000, so I am well aware that people's minds won't change because of words on a screen.

The bottom line in this situation was that I wasn't trying to change anyone's mind here in the forum. It's the other the guy that mistakenly assumed I was trying to change his mind, when the fact is, I couldn't care less about what he does with his money. He was the one to ask me to clarify a sentence of mine and I posted a link to Dave Ramsey's opinion about leases. It went downhill from there...

I'll keep sharing my stories and opinions, but I'll avoid any engagement with certain people that just want to argue about nothing.
Old 01-21-13, 11:03 AM
stick22
Driver

Originally Posted by Vasili
I'll keep sharing my stories and opinions, but I'll avoid any engagement with certain people that just want to argue about nothing.
i thought this was the main reason the internet forum was invented
Old 01-21-13, 11:11 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Seriously, people in this day and age still ask this?

If you got friends or family that still ask this, then they're way tooo ignorant, not car savvy enough to know the difference, or simply just want the badge.

I got better things to do than to argue with them.
I would tell them to do their own research, go out and drive it, and if you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them.

They didn't ask that to question to be enlightened.
Old 01-21-13, 12:17 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Referring to my earlier post, its funny that I'm actually less troubled by one of my gf's friends telling her she knows "cuter, better guys" than me to hook her up with, than I am with being unable to convince another of her friends that Lexus is NOT glorified toyota.

It's due to my own confidence, the way I carry myself, and knowing that, all things put together, no other guy can hold up compared to me.
Old 01-21-13, 01:00 PM
stick22
Driver

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
Referring to my earlier post, its funny that I'm actually less troubled by one of my gf's friends telling her she knows "cuter, better guys" than me to hook her up with, than I am with being unable to convince another of her friends that Lexus is NOT glorified toyota.

It's due to my own confidence, the way I carry myself, and knowing that, all things put together, no other guy can hold up compared to me.
this guy...
Old 01-21-13, 01:01 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 488 Likes on 323 Posts

I don't get much crap for owning a Lexus.
I mostly get respect.
One person even told me once that I was ripping them off to pay for my Lexus.

No one has ever told me my Lexus is inferior to a Benz or Beamer.
Though the front door neighbor did tell me they bought a C Class because Lexus looks too much like a Toyota.
However, I agreed with them - indeed Benz and Beamers look more different than other cars.
Now the front door neighbor tells his wife "maybe he drives something better than a Mercedes, which we don't know about"?

Technically speaking, Benz and Beamers are more for people who don't know much about cars, and purchase purely on the basis of name/badge/image/reputation/snob appeal etc etc; areas where the Germans are in total control.
However, I would say too that the Germans are equally good cars, but in a different way; with a different set of strengths and weaknesses.
We have to choose what is right for us.

Club Lexus Forum Rules
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...q=forum_rules#
"...Members are certainly going to disagree from time-to-time, but the disagreement should be about the topic not the person posting".

On the topic of Vasili, I think we have to encourage all members to talk about the car - and not talk about the other "person" whose opinion is such and such.
We can all voice our own opinion on the car - without having to put down, or bag another member's opinion, or denying them of an opinion altogether.

There are presently too many instances where one member quotes another member's post, and then claims that the other member's opinion is wrong, and then they go on to claim how their opinion is right!

Its just one member's opinion, over another member's opinion; only God can judge.
We have to talk about the car, rather than commenting on another member's opinion, especially if such comment is negative...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-21-13 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 02:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree...totally off topic and it was never meant to be personal...blanket statements like that just irk me.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
One person even told me once that I was ripping them off to pay for my Lexus.
LOL, this is actually a good point. Its like my Dad always said, when you're in sales or business and dealing with people, its good to look successful because people want to do business with successful people, but you don't want to appear overpaid compared to your associates, customers or clients.

To me thats one of the best things about a Lexus, its classy, speaks to your success, its got all the toys and performance you could want, but its not "over the top" or ostentatious the way a Mercedes or BMW can be.
Old 01-21-13, 08:28 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Heck, when I had my '07 Infiniti M35 and took a high-end account to lunch, she got in and said "nice car". She drove an E Class. I think the earlier poster was right who said Mercedes and BMW are for people who don't know that much about cars and buy for the brand. They are always surprised when they ride in a Lexus or Infiniti because they have never even looked at them.

Quick Reply: how much crap do you guys get for owning a Lexus?