GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

how much crap do you guys get for owning a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13 | 07:09 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by peteharvey
However, I would say too that the Germans are equally good cars, but in a different way; with a different set of strengths and weaknesses.
We have to choose what is right for us.
I think that was well said!
Old 01-22-13 | 04:54 PM
LexFather

There seems to be irrational hate toward Lexus that I cannot explain. Its not like Lexus is a struggling brand or a brand that hasn't helped elevate the entire industry. Lexus has been a very good competitor with way more hits than misses. Lexus has rarely every said anything about the competition and while they surely have followed, they have led as well. They have clearly proven to be the most reliable with the highest customer service, 2 Lexus staples.

Having been on forums for over a decade, countless ones, rarely do you have a civil Lexus thread. It immediately attracts people who call themselves enthusiasts but bash the cars for no end and most times don't even know facts about the Lexus car or brand. If anyone tries to stand up for Lexus or offer some insight or facts, they are ripped apart. I just saw the LS called a FWD Avalon. The GS is also an Avalon. The CT is a Prius or Corolla. They are bland, now they are ugly. They were slow, then they are too fast. Lexus had too many SUVs, now they have too little SUVs. I mean it is hilarious.

What is amazing to see is the very people that bashed Lexus for being bland/boring are not either bashing it for being sporty of completely ignorant to their gains in that area. When sales were used as an indicator for Lexus success it was thrown out the window. Now that others sell better, its about sales now and not about being sporty. It is quite obvious that most people that hate Lexus or give crap to people about Lexus don't really know jack **** about Lexus or cars in general. It could also be attributed for irrational hate toward Toyota since Lexus is a division of Toyota. It really was eye-opening to see the incredible hate the LFA got. That to me proved that it didn't matter what Lexus produced, people just hate Lexus. If people are going to bash and crap on a hand built supercar exotic that Clarkson, Harris, EVO, etc etc have praised to no end, what chance does a CT or GS have? It used to be frustrating as a Lexus enthusiast but now I just laugh. Let them sling feces from their basements while we enjoy our Lexus ownership.

In person, rarely do I get the Lexus is crap comment. Sometimes I ignore it or sometimes I give the person an education on cars they will never forget, depends on my mood You will find that true enthusiasts give credit to Lexus as well as the competition. They are aware of Lexus pros and cons.

In the industry, Lexus rarely ever gets crap. At SEMA Lexus has a very strong presence not just being there but seeing Lexus in other booths, like the Germans. If you look at the aftermarket, they went right after the GS to support it compared to the other Asian offerings. The industry is very respectful of Lexus and the LFA really brought a new positive light to the brand. Our company has a vast array of brands in the fleet and Lexus is highly regarded.

Of course Lexus has areas of opportunity and has had some missteps, this is not to say they haven't. When a comment is justified, I think most are all for it. For example we all accept that as good as the GS is, we would like to see a GS F, a V-8, maybe a hybrid F-sport, fog lamps, power trunk/mirrors. Those are great comments. Now we also have to keep the glass "half full" b/c clearly Lexus is the strong 4th best seller world wide in the luxury market with a limited lineup. Lexus has won countless awards and for every person that makes irrational comments on it, there are 30 that love Lexus and would love to own a Lexus. Gotta tune the hate out.

So trust me, I know better than anyone, ignore the childish hate and enjoy your Lexus. B/C when you talk to executives at all the major companies or when you talk to people in the industry and when you talk to REAL enthusiasts you will see they have a respect for Lexus and most of the competition.
Old 01-22-13 | 05:32 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blueprint
LS called a FWD Avalon. The GS is also an Avalon. The CT is a Prius or Corolla.
never heard that before...but I remember long time ago, some people were referring to LS400 as an oversized Camry
Old 01-22-13 | 05:43 PM
fly2low
Driver

There are at least two kind of people who DON'T bash Lexus:
1) Traditional Lexus buyers.
2) Half of ex BMW enthusiasts who find current BMW offerings are disappointing (the other half goes to Audi).

Old 01-22-13 | 06:08 PM
natnut
Pole Position

What I found most hilarious were the BMW 328i owners bashing the new IS for not having a manual.

Then I looked at their sigs. Almost all were driving a sport-automatic 328i.
Old 01-22-13 | 06:15 PM
LexFather

Well all groups have favorites. Many here call all German cars unreliable and that isn't true. I find some of the worst offenders not even Tier 1 brand fans but the "other guys" brands ripping Lexus to shreds.

With Lexus going sportier it really shows who knows about cars. I continue to read comments on how Lexus drive boring, un sporty etc and its clear they are stuck in the 1990s.

It's rare to find a bad car today, this is the golden age of cars. Drive them all and come to better conclusions instead of making yourself look silly bashing a brand based on old stereotypes.

Or just bash the grill
Old 01-22-13 | 08:27 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Ha!

Camry and Avalon owners wish their vehicles could stand toe to toe with a Lexus.
Old 01-22-13 | 08:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Having been on forums for over a decade, countless ones, rarely do you have a civil Lexus thread. It immediately attracts people who call themselves enthusiasts but bash the cars for no end and most times don't even know facts about the Lexus car or brand. If anyone tries to stand up for Lexus or offer some insight or facts, they are ripped apart. I just saw the LS called a FWD Avalon. The GS is also an Avalon. The CT is a Prius or Corolla. They are bland, now they are ugly. They were slow, then they are too fast. Lexus had too many SUVs, now they have too little SUVs. I mean it is hilarious.
This is absolutely true. On the two Jeep forums I post on I have the same sig just reversed, with the Jeep on top and the Lexus underneath. On a couple of occasions people have just out of left field lobbed grenades at me about the Lexus when its not even the topic of the conversation.
Old 01-22-13 | 08:49 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Talking

There seems to be irrational hate toward Lexus that I cannot explain. Its not like Lexus is a struggling brand or a brand that hasn't helped elevate the entire industry. Lexus has been a very good competitor with way more hits than misses. Lexus has rarely every said anything about the competition and while they surely have followed, they have led as well. They have clearly proven to be the most reliable with the highest customer service, 2 Lexus staples.

What is amazing to see is the very people that bashed Lexus for being bland/boring are not either bashing it for being sporty of completely ignorant to their gains in that area. When sales were used as an indicator for Lexus success it was thrown out the window. Now that others sell better, its about sales now and not about being sporty. It is quite obvious that most people that hate Lexus or give crap to people about Lexus don't really know jack **** about Lexus or cars in general. It could also be attributed for irrational hate toward Toyota since Lexus is a division of Toyota. It really was eye-opening to see the incredible hate the LFA got. That to me proved that it didn't matter what Lexus produced, people just hate Lexus. If people are going to bash and crap on a hand built supercar exotic that Clarkson, Harris, EVO, etc etc have praised to no end, what chance does a CT or GS have? It used to be frustrating as a Lexus enthusiast but now I just laugh. Let them sling feces from their basements while we enjoy our Lexus ownership.

In person, rarely do I get the Lexus is crap comment. Sometimes I ignore it or sometimes I give the person an education on cars they will never forget, depends on my mood You will find that true enthusiasts give credit to Lexus as well as the competition. They are aware of Lexus pros and cons.

In the industry, Lexus rarely ever gets crap. At SEMA Lexus has a very strong presence not just being there but seeing Lexus in other booths, like the Germans. If you look at the aftermarket, they went right after the GS to support it compared to the other Asian offerings. The industry is very respectful of Lexus and the LFA really brought a new positive light to the brand. Our company has a vast array of brands in the fleet and Lexus is highly regarded.

Of course Lexus has areas of opportunity and has had some missteps, this is not to say they haven't. When a comment is justified, I think most are all for it. For example we all accept that as good as the GS is, we would like to see a GS F, a V-8, maybe a hybrid F-sport, fog lamps, power trunk/mirrors. Those are great comments. Now we also have to keep the glass "half full" b/c clearly Lexus is the strong 4th best seller world wide in the luxury market with a limited lineup. Lexus has won countless awards and for every person that makes irrational comments on it, there are 30 that love Lexus and would love to own a Lexus. Gotta tune the hate out.

So trust me, I know better than anyone, ignore the childish hate and enjoy your Lexus. B/C when you talk to executives at all the major companies or when you talk to people in the industry and when you talk to REAL enthusiasts you will see they have a respect for Lexus and most of the competition.
I'm glad you've learned to laugh it off because I've also been in the forums for over a decade and I've seen you get into some pretty heated "conversations" in the Infiniti and Acura forums. We've all grown up a lot since then, and we all realize that a particular brand isn't the "end all and be all" of the automotive industry.

With that said, I think the other forums give Lexus no respect because they are simply ignorant and are secretly afraid the brand they have fought so long and hard for may not actually be worth the fight. We will call it the Emperors New Clothes and leave it at that (ENC is now a subsidiary of BMW)

Last edited by dseag2; 01-22-13 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-23-13 | 07:33 AM
bigblack06

This is what I think!
how much crap do you guys get for owning a Lexus?-hatershate.jpeg
Old 01-23-13 | 11:57 AM
1111GS

Your response is so well written and pleasant to read. I watched a youtube about the GS the other day before the car came out.... There's so much negativity coming through his voice... even when he said something positive.....
Originally Posted by SW10ES
This is absolutely true. On the two Jeep forums I post on I have the same sig just reversed, with the Jeep on top and the Lexus underneath. On a couple of occasions people have just out of left field lobbed grenades at me about the Lexus when its not even the topic of the conversation.
It would be fun to watch this debate. Seriously though it's real easy in this case. Just tell them, I buy a Lexus because I CAN.

Last edited by 1111GS; 01-23-13 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-23-13 | 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bnlexus
It would be fun to watch this debate. Seriously though it's real easy in this case. Just tell them, I buy a Lexus because I CAN.
Its really funny, he and I and a bunch of other people were having a discussion about clear bras, I just had one put on the GS and I was telling the poster than my Jeep doesn't need one because the paint seems pretty robust, but I just had one put on my new Lexus because it chips easily. Talking about the research I had done and what product I had chosen, etc. This guy was saying that they apply the clear bra on rough textured plastic and all of this stuff about clearbras that was wrong, and I and some others were posting how he was wrong, quoting the 3M websites etc. Out of left field he just says this:

Other than your extensive one months research on the internet and the fact that you could write a check to have it applied to your Lexus what qualifies you to deny the laws of physics? Possibly the fact that you drive a Lexus ? You seem like the kind of person that when you hired someone to build your coach house (garage to non Lexus drivers) if you saw the carpenter ripping down a 2x8 because he was shorted on 2x6 you would argue that it wouldn't be as safe.
WTF? LOL

This was my response:

And if you want to try and make fun of me for being successful and having a Lexus, knock your socks off. GC SRT8 costs more than my Lexus, so I don't see it as any sort of defining thing about me VS members here, but if it upsets you I'm sorry.
And his response:

My point is you say Lexus like its a big deal...its a damn Toyota with an extra inflated pricetag.
Actually, I just said "Lexus" because it was the brand of car I had a clearbra installed on LOL
Old 01-23-13 | 04:29 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

also hear how the IS is a corolla, lol.
Old 01-23-13 | 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, for sure. We're all just fanboys for saying its not!
Old 01-23-13 | 07:56 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

If you want to direct your frustration at another underdog, just go tell an Audi driver that you like his VW!

Quick Reply: how much crap do you guys get for owning a Lexus?