GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I Keep coming back to GS, I wonder why...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 06:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
It could have been.... But they refused to replace the tires unless I paid for a new set. Anyway it was ethically wrong to have a car with the front redone and not mentioned on carfax.

Anyway, the 4gs does have the best interior in tis class in my opinion! That's my point.
The tires didn't need replacing at least on my GS.They're fine now.Just a long sitting for months flat spot issue.I haven't had a problem since.
Old 01-22-13, 08:44 AM
Leo23
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=Rexus300;7717999]
About a month ago I test drove the latest GS. I was was very disappointed. I felt vibrations allover the car that I never felt when driving my two other Lexus that I have owed or still own. Also I wasn't crazy about the "new" engine growl that so many people like in the sports cars. I know, that is a desirable attribute for a sport car, but I find it annoying after a while, however that is not a deal breaker for me, it could grow on me.

The vibration is due to bad tires. It is on some GS on the lot with Dunlops. Avoid those tires. Try one with Michelins and they are incredibly smooth. I have tried them all and setlled on a GS F-Sport and switched out the junk Bridgestones for some good Continental tires. I got rid of a fully loaded 2011 BMW 535 xdrive for this GS F-sport and will not turn back anytime soon.
Thanks for your kind reply.
I would love to know more why you dumped the GT for the GS if I may ask.
I drove the gt very briefly in the city traffic, I could not really get any particular impression except for the sense of driving a "much" larger car with a higher sitting position.
Old 01-22-13, 09:23 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=Leo23;7718223]
Originally Posted by Rexus300

Thanks for your kind reply.
I would love to know more why you dumped the GT for the GS if I may ask.
I drove the gt very briefly in the city traffic, I could not really get any particular impression except for the sense of driving a "much" larger car with a higher sitting position.
I had the 4 door sedan version 5 series. It felt like an elephant on wheel and would plow into the turns when making a sharp turn. It felt unplanted and very floaty. It also had an irritating vibration felt in the seats 70-75 mph that was checked by several BMW dealers. Swapped out the rims 1x for new ones, tires 3x with some improvement. Its a common defect with the earlier 5. It had a terrible transmission lag. The steering felt numb. It was very underwhelming that it was gone in 1 year. I have a 3 series coupe that is much better then the 5. The GS is the perfect sports sedan now.
Old 01-22-13, 10:22 AM
Leo23
Driver

[quote=Rexus300;7718308]

I had the 4 door sedan version 5 series. It felt like an elephant on wheel and would plow into the turns when making a sharp turn. It felt unplanted and very floaty. It also had an irritating vibration felt in the seats 70-75 mph that was checked by several BMW dealers. Swapped out the rims 1x for new ones, tires 3x with some improvement. Its a common defect with the earlier 5. It had a terrible transmission lag. The steering felt numb. It was very underwhelming that it was gone in 1 year. I have a 3 series coupe that is much better then the 5. The GS is the perfect sports sedan now.
Thanks a lot, very helpful indeed!
Old 01-22-13, 11:01 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=Rexus300;7718308]

my roommate has the GT and i'm not a fan of it because it floats too much and way too big for my liking. Anyway, from my experience that if your steering wheel shakes around 65 ish then most likely you need to balance the wheel; if the whole car shake then most likely the dealer only balanced the 2 front and they didn't bother to balance the rear. Not all wheels design the same so it really depends on the person who balance the wheel. Ie... A lot of time people just put the actual wheel size on the balance machine and that is wrong...
Old 01-22-13, 01:34 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=shaolin;7718516]
Originally Posted by Rexus300

my roommate has the GT and i'm not a fan of it because it floats too much and way too big for my liking. Anyway, from my experience that if your steering wheel shakes around 65 ish then most likely you need to balance the wheel; if the whole car shake then most likely the dealer only balanced the 2 front and they didn't bother to balance the rear. Not all wheels design the same so it really depends on the person who balance the wheel. Ie... A lot of time people just put the actual wheel size on the balance machine and that is wrong...

I know everything about balancing. I do road force balance on Hunter road force machines on all my car. I never go to cheap tire stores for balance. I pay more for hunter road force balance and had it done by top mechanics at BMW dealers. This was not simple issue. The rims were slightly bent but it was not only the wheels and tires. Something with the drivetrain and rear hubs being out of round also. Long story. Either way the BMW was terrible.
Old 01-22-13, 01:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

I've never test driven a GS in AWD before, but IMO, the 4GS standard luxury model is possibly the most comfortable car in its class.

You'll find that the 4GS ride is near perfect.
Whereas the three Germans use firmer springing and softer dampers, such that they have more bump thump, and more floatiness at speed.

The old 3GS did not have enough torsional rigidity and bending stiffness, such that firmer springs couldn't really be used without more creaking and rattling.
The new 4GS with a more rigid platform, and has slightly firmer springs for a much sharper steering, and quicker changes in direction.
Plus the old 3GS was one of their very first electric power steering systems, so there wasn't much feel/feedback from the road, while the 4GS electric power steering has evolutionized and improved for much more feel and feedback.

The 4GS engine does roar under acceleration, either due to a resonator in the induction system, or due to less firewall insulation.
They probably should have used a good amount of sound insulation in the firewalls on all models, while placing the induction resonating device only in the F Sport model.
I'm not sure if I'll get use to it, but I'm sure I can live with it; because I had to live with a similar acceleration roar in the 1987-1992 Mazda 929 3.0 V6.

Despite the acceleration roar, you'll find that the 4GS actually cruises quieter than my old 3GS!
The 4GS is the most quiet cruiser in its class, based on my test drives of the three Germans.
The Dunlops used in the 4GS and specifically designed for the 4GS, are the quietest tires in its class.

If you're not too tall, you'll find that the rear seats of the 4GS have the highest seat bases, for the greatest comfort, and the best window view.
On the Germans, esp the 5 Series, the rear seat base is too low, forcing an average rear passenger to look "over" the front dashboard.
The Germans do have a lower rear seat base for more rear headroom, and the Germans also have more foot room, if rear cabin space is very important for you.

Your decision all boils down to personal preferences, the features you find most important in your car, and the individual relative strengths/weaknesses of all the models in this class of midsize luxury cars.

The fact that you are on this forum means that you are thinking and choosing logically, rather than just choosing and buying by name/badge etc.
To be honest with you, I'm too lazy to do research on microscopes and sewing machines.
So if I had to purchase a microscope or sewing machine, I'd just choose and purchase by name, like Olympus for microscopes, and Singer for sewing machines.
Thus I'm no different to the average person buying a Benz or Beamer...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-22-13 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 02:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The 4GS engine does roar under acceleration, either due to a resonator in the induction system, or due to less firewall insulation.
They probably should have used a good amount of sound insulation in the firewalls on all models, while placing the induction resonating device only in the F Sport model.
Its the resonator, the engine sound is actually pumped back into the cabin deliberately. I personally think its just fine, but if you don't like it you can always replace the intake tube for about $150.
Old 01-22-13, 02:34 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Its the resonator, the engine sound is actually pumped back into the cabin deliberately. I personally think its just fine, but if you don't like it you can always replace the intake tube for about $150.
Wow, I'll have to investigate what the 4GS sounds like without the resonator...
Old 01-22-13, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

This is one option, this is the OEM F-Sport CAI kit. This will delete the resonator:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/5385.html

if you have the dealer install that it'll fall right under the OEM warranty.
Old 01-22-13, 02:55 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info.
I'll have to wait another six months to see what the new compact chuckable 3IS is like, and then make a final decision as to whether 3IS or 4GS?
I will find out from Sewell if removing that resonator makes the 4GS as genuinely quiet as the 3GS under acceleration...
Old 01-22-13, 03:03 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

This is one option, this is the OEM F-Sport CAI kit. This will delete the resonator:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/5385.html

if you have the dealer install that it'll fall right under the OEM warranty.

That or the Joe Z pipe that's the same and been out for years will add about 5 HP.I had a Joe Z on a IS350.
I'd love to hear the difference or maybe someone will tell us the difference in sound eventually.
Old 01-22-13, 06:22 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I have to echo that tip.

A 4th Gen GS350 owner in Singapore shipped over the intake tube meant for the 3rd Gen GS350 from Sewell Lexus.

It is a simple plug and play procedure.

One caveat is that the F-Sport CAI might be even louder than the oem 4GS intake.

If you want to be as close to the 3GS silence, the 3GS oem intake > F-Sport CAI.

Do note however that the additional engineered noise over the 3rd Gen is not just the intake but also due to the different exhaust sound muffler in the 4GS.
Old 01-22-13, 08:37 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

[quote=Rexus300;7717999]
About a month ago I test drove the latest GS. I was was very disappointed. I felt vibrations allover the car that I never felt when driving my two other Lexus that I have owed or still own. Also I wasn't crazy about the "new" engine growl that so many people like in the sports cars. I know, that is a desirable attribute for a sport car, but I find it annoying after a while, however that is not a deal breaker for me, it could grow on me.

The vibration is due to bad tires. It is on some GS on the lot with Dunlops. Avoid those tires. Try one with Michelins and they are incredibly smooth. I have tried them all and setlled on a GS F-Sport and switched out the junk Bridgestones for some good Continental tires. I got rid of a fully loaded 2011 BMW 535 xdrive for this GS F-sport and will not turn back anytime soon.
Not to further confuse the issue, but my F Sport with Dunlops (and 5,600 miles) cruises quietly and as smooth as glass on the highways. No vibration at all. There is probably more road noise on rough roads than with the Michelins, but I'm not in a hurry to trade until I'm ready for new tires. The Dunlops are just fine.
Old 01-23-13, 06:23 AM
Leo23
Driver

That's a valuable information. Thank you!
The resonator seems appropriate on a f-sport.. But on a luxury it would be nice to have a choice.
I will ask to the dealer.... Thanks

Last edited by Leo23; 01-23-13 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply: I Keep coming back to GS, I wonder why...