GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I Keep coming back to GS, I wonder why...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 07:10 PM
Leo23
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Keep coming back to GS, I wonder why...

About a month ago I test drove the latest GS. I was was very disappointed. I felt vibrations allover the car that I never felt when driving my two other Lexus that I have owed or still own. Also I wasn't crazy about the "new" engine growl that so many people like in the sports cars. I know, that is a desirable attribute for a sport car, but I find it annoying after a while, however that is not a deal breaker for me, it could grow on me.

So, I began looking for another car to replace my 3GS, which I like ...but I want more. I want a car with a great comfortable interior as my primary goal. And will test drive only cars that appeal to me in that sense first.
So, I visited numerous dealers of different makers to find the inspiring car only in my price range with the requisite of an awd.
-Started with Jaguar xf. I know there is an upcoming awd v6 on the way that got my attention (xj is loo long but quite awesome car and a used one could be have been contender); but as nice as the XF is, more I look at it more I get cold about it.
-BMW 5 series interiors I find them visually bland but with very good workmanship and material is tasteful. I did love particularly the interior of the 535i gran turismo, which I test drove. That's the closest contender at this time. I love that interior. And i think i could fit my large dog back there too.
-I test drove the only SUV that interest me, a Porsche cayenne which I liked very much, but its an SUV about which I'm not used to. A very good SUV with very expensive options and a wonderful interior in my opinion, if equipped with the expensive options. Again, that car's space would work even better for my dog.
-I saw the Volvo s80. Nice car but I don't like the dashboard. they are improving thou...
- at the Audi's dealer I expressed my interest toward an a7, even that I don't care the idea of getting "the" most fashionable car "everyone" want. By the way, those led lights are starting to look common and average right now that most car makers are adopting in their own version. I was so disappointed by the interior. Soon as i open the door i notice a shocking contrast between a fine wood selection with a very visible eye-catching black plastic in very prominent places. That particular plastic to me is reminiscent of the outdoors textured black garbage cans. No way on a +$70k... what an eye opener was that for me!
-Mercedes e class... not for me thank you!
-desperately looking for an American car too: Lincoln, well in NYC every other limousine is a Lincoln, nice interior but... not distinguished.
-Cadillacs have nice ones, xts is too long and all that Chrome... Maybe some day thou, I hope.

So, my point is that after I spent a month going back and forth, looking for the ideal car in my price range, I realized that the interior I like the most is the one right "around the corner". And yes, the Gs for me has my vote even that my dog would settle for the cushioned leather back seat again. BMW GT and Cayenne still great and different thou.

I just wish Lexus would offer more options, ... mainly, I wish the gs450h hybrid would come out as an AWD as an option. Yes, the GS450h AWD would be my next car if it existed.
Is there any chance at all Lexus could add that option?

Sorry, for the long and boring post... I had nothing else to do.

Last edited by Leo23; 01-21-13 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 07:17 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i would say that's a no go on the GS450H AWD... which is strange because the LS600HL comes only in AWD.
Old 01-21-13, 07:49 PM
Leo23
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i would say that's a no go on the GS450H AWD... which is strange because the LS600HL comes only in AWD.
I had no idea ls hybrid in AWD already exist. Why do you say that, I'm already hopeful.
Old 01-21-13, 07:51 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Not boring at all. Thanks for posting.

I only considered the A7 when shopping, and you're right... the interior just isn't that great. It wasn't only the hard plastic, but the busy design just didn't appeal to me.

I've never looked at the Jag because, IMHO, the design never really appealed to me and is now getting long in the tooth.

The others, just not interested.

I love everything about the GS, especially the interior. I can see why you keep coming back to it.
Old 01-21-13, 07:53 PM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I don't understand what vibration you are talking about. My GS is very quiet for me. However,I share the same sentiments with you with the comparable BMW, Jaguar, and Audi that you test drove (A6 in my case).
Yet, from the way you describe what you want, it sounds like you are a prime candidate for LS. If you don't care much about the look, you can get a left over '12 for cheap. There is a $6000 dealer cash for all '12 LS models. So, I'd shoot for invoice minus $6000 (minus another 500-1000 if you think a particular dealer really wants to unload it).
Old 01-21-13, 08:09 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fly2low
Honestly, I don't understand what vibration you are talking about. My GS is very quiet for me. However,I share the same sentiments with you with the comparable BMW, Jaguar, and Audi that you test drove (A6 in my case).
Yet, from the way you describe what you want, it sounds like you are a prime candidate for LS. If you don't care much about the look, you can get a left over '12 for cheap. There is a $6000 dealer cash for all '12 LS models. So, I'd shoot for invoice minus $6000 (minus another 500-1000 if you think a particular dealer really wants to unload it).
The '12 LS is a good suggestion, but from the cars he has been considering it sounds like he wants something more sporty. And he probably does care about the looks if he is looking at an A7vs. an A6 because they are virtually identical aside from the sexy bodywork on the A7.

I also don't really understand the vibration comment. My GS has been the perfect combo of smoothness and sportiness with no vibrations at all. And I love the "piped in" sound when I step on it!
Old 01-21-13, 08:19 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah Lexus hybrid strategy is everything;
FWD-CT/RX/ES
AWD-RX/LS
RWD-GS/upcoming IS (Euro/Asia markets)
:
I would have loved a GS 450h F-sport but the wife is happy with her 350 F-sport.

To me the word is getting around on how good this car is.
Old 01-21-13, 08:57 PM
fly2low
Driver

I won't preted I can read OP's mind but from his description he seems to want an elegant, luxurious, comfortable, and quiet vehicle. 4GS is too sporty for him. I am also familiar with 3GS AWD as my sister has one. I like cars on the sporty side. Although my wife and I have owned 4 Lexus, they are not "traditional" Lexus cars (IS350, CT200h, RX350 F Sport, and 4GS). OP seems to be a "traditional" Lexus demography. Hence, I suggested LS. If OP is willing to explore and not considering it a "downgrade", I think he could also possibly take '13 ES to his liking. Really, it doesn't feel much like "old" FWD car.

If he is also considering an SUV and is also willing to explore, VW Touareg -the people's Cayenne- could also be to his liking. It is the same vehicle with Cayenne with a more comfort tuning. I am not an SUV person and got one because of family need (in fact I got a '13 RX 350 Fsport due to wife's insistence and ditched it after 6 weeks because I disliked it so much). Touareg is the only SUV I really like beside Cayenne.

There is a leasing bonus cash of $3250 for 2013 models. So shoot for invoice minus $3250. With this leasing cash and 0.00001 money factor (0.024% apr, yes there is a zero between the dot and 2), it would be really foolish to purchase the vehicle cash or with finance. To sweeten the deal, service is free for 3 years with free vehicle pick up and delivery service to your office/residence (Touareg only, not all VW). The catch? residual is lower than RX at 49% for 12k/36 mo but again it is being compensated by the leasing cash and virtually free mf. For me, I think it this way: I get 80-90% of Cayenne with 55-65% of the price.

If I like it enough and the vehicle has proven to be trouble free (not a Lexus, remember?), then I'll buy it after 3 years as the residual is low enough. Although bumper to bumper is 36/36000, the powertrain warranty is 120/120000.

But hey, that's me.
Old 01-21-13, 09:25 PM
Leo23
Driver

Sorry I didn't get in details on the vibration issue:

When I was looking for the GS I particularly wanted an almost fully loaded one. The dealers around here don't seem to be wanting those cars in stock. So I looked for a demo or slightly used one with feautures i was looking for. So, I found a dealer in NJ that had a seemingly perfect car with all the options I wanted and low mileage.
The first test drive was almost dangerous. The car vibrated big time. Not at all smooth. The guy then said he will have the tires checked (even that he denied the vibrations) because the car has been sitting for too long (I thought it was strange). Nevertheless I went back for the second drive. The car was much better but still on the highway I felt some vibrations and I did not like that.mhe kept telling me that Lexus is a drivers car now and that's how they are from now on). Fine I said, if so it's not for me anymore.
Despite going there with a check book and my car's docs ready for the trade, I was disappointed. i started looking elsewhere for a new car but only after a few days the salesman calls me back. And this was another eye opener for me because I learned another thing: he said that he just found out that the car was previously in an accident and as by the law he needed to inform about it. Disturbingly the accident was not mentioned on carfax report!
I made him send me the receipt of the repair out of curiosity and the list of items replaced is very extensive. I believe that is the reason of the vibrations. The whole thing made me sick to the idea of getting this car and not knowing... The guy even told me... "The price is great...! and if I sell it the accident is not on carfax"!
And anyway I was fed up by the dishonesty of these people (and the brand in a subconscious way perhaps).

Now, When I posted i only intended saying that the vibrations were the reason why I searched for other cars and not because Lexus drives like that. It's already a long post and i did not think about the importance of being specific on that issue. I realize it's not well written.
Old 01-21-13, 09:36 PM
Leo23
Driver

Originally Posted by fly2low
I won't preted I can read OP's mind but from his description he seems to want an elegant, luxurious, comfortable, and quiet vehicle. 4GS is too sporty for him. I am also familiar with 3GS AWD as my sister has one. I like cars on the sporty side. Although my wife and I have owned 4 Lexus, they are not "traditional" Lexus cars (IS350, CT200h, RX350 F Sport, and 4GS). OP seems to be a "traditional" Lexus demography. Hence, I suggested LS. If OP is willing to explore and not considering it a "downgrade", I think he could also possibly take '13 ES to his liking. Really, it doesn't feel much like "old" FWD car.

If he is also considering an SUV and is also willing to explore, VW Touareg -the people's Cayenne- could also be to his liking. It is the same vehicle with Cayenne with a more comfort tuning. I am not an SUV person and got one because of family need (in fact I got a '13 RX 350 Fsport due to wife's insistence and ditched it after 6 weeks because I disliked it so much). Touareg is the only SUV I really like beside Cayenne.

There is a leasing bonus cash of $3250 for 2013 models. So shoot for invoice minus $3250. With this leasing cash and 0.00001 money factor (0.024% apr, yes there is a zero between the dot and 2), it would be really foolish to purchase the vehicle cash or with finance. To sweeten the deal, service is free for 3 years with free vehicle pick up and delivery service to your office/residence (Touareg only, not all VW). The catch? residual is lower than RX at 49% for 12k/36 mo but again it is being compensated by the leasing cash and virtually free mf. For me, I think it this way: I get 80-90% of Cayenne with 55-65% of the price.

If I like it enough and the vehicle has proven to be trouble free (not a Lexus, remember?), then I'll buy it after 3 years as the residual is low enough. Although bumper to bumper is 36/36000, the powertrain warranty is 120/120000.

But hey, that's me.
Thank you for your kind suggestions. I may take a look at the Tuareg some day.

I had the new es for a day long as a loaner from the dealer and I'm not particularly impressed. They appear similarly matched but the gs has much better details inside, it's just my opinion.
Old 01-21-13, 09:44 PM
fly2low
Driver

Good luck with your pursuit. Don't buy a car that doesn't make you smile after a test drive!
Old 01-21-13, 10:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I think you should drive another GS with the luxury package. Mi so pleased its the way mine drives and rides, and I come from the more softly sprung Lexus cars. It truly rides like glass, yet still has the ability to be firm and fun in Sport S+ mode...
Old 01-22-13, 04:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
Sorry I didn't get in details on the vibration issue:

When I was looking for the GS I particularly wanted an almost fully loaded one. The dealers around here don't seem to be wanting those cars in stock. So I looked for a demo or slightly used one with feautures i was looking for. So, I found a dealer in NJ that had a seemingly perfect car with all the options I wanted and low mileage.
The first test drive was almost dangerous. The car vibrated big time. Not at all smooth. The guy then said he will have the tires checked (even that he denied the vibrations) because the car has been sitting for too long (I thought it was strange). Nevertheless I went back for the second drive. The car was much better but still on the highway I felt some vibrations and I did not like that.mhe kept telling me that Lexus is a drivers car now and that's how they are from now on). Fine I said, if so it's not for me anymore.
Despite going there with a check book and my car's docs ready for the trade, I was disappointed. i started looking elsewhere for a new car but only after a few days the salesman calls me back. And this was another eye opener for me because I learned another thing: he said that he just found out that the car was previously in an accident and as by the law he needed to inform about it. Disturbingly the accident was not mentioned on carfax report!
I made him send me the receipt of the repair out of curiosity and the list of items replaced is very extensive. I believe that is the reason of the vibrations. The whole thing made me sick to the idea of getting this car and not knowing... The guy even told me... "The price is great...! and if I sell it the accident is not on carfax"!
And anyway I was fed up by the dishonesty of these people (and the brand in a subconscious way perhaps).

Now, When I posted i only intended saying that the vibrations were the reason why I searched for other cars and not because Lexus drives like that. It's already a long post and i did not think about the importance of being specific on that issue. I realize it's not well written.
The vibrations could have been the tires.Maybe some flat spotting from sitting.
I will say I had a vibration problem on my first drive on the highway after my picking up the GS.Was about to call and make an appt but it never happened again.I even posted about that here.
My dealer got my car in August and I got it in Dec.Don't know if the sitting 8 months was a problem.Seems it may have just been tire flat spotting..

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-22-13 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-22-13, 06:18 AM
Leo23
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The vibrations could have been the tires.Maybe some flat spotting from sitting.
I will say I had a vibration problem on my first drive on the highway after my picking up the GS.Was about to call and make an appt but it never happened again.I even posted about that here.
My dealer got my car in August and I got it in Dec.Don't know if the sitting 8 months was a problem.Seems it may have just been tire flat spotting..
It could have been.... But they refused to replace the tires unless I paid for a new set. Anyway it was ethically wrong to have a car with the front redone and not mentioned on carfax.

Anyway, the 4gs does have the best interior in tis class in my opinion! That's my point.
Old 01-22-13, 06:27 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Leo23;7717157]About a month ago I test drove the latest GS. I was was very disappointed. I felt vibrations allover the car that I never felt when driving my two other Lexus that I have owed or still own. Also I wasn't crazy about the "new" engine growl that so many people like in the sports cars. I know, that is a desirable attribute for a sport car, but I find it annoying after a while, however that is not a deal breaker for me, it could grow on me.

The vibration is due to bad tires. It is on some GS on the lot with Dunlops. Avoid those tires. Try one with Michelins and they are incredibly smooth. I have tried them all and setlled on a GS F-Sport and switched out the junk Bridgestones for some good Continental tires. I got rid of a fully loaded 2011 BMW 535 xdrive for this GS F-sport and will not turn back anytime soon.

Quick Reply: I Keep coming back to GS, I wonder why...