GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I May Have To Re-Think My Next Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-13, 03:02 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Of course a GS driver is stepping down by going to an IS, just as a 5 Series driver would be stepping down going to a 3 series, or an E Class driver stepping down going to a C Class. Your IS-F is a different animal, we're talking about a GS350 driver going to an IS350.

The IS is unquestionably a cheaper car, with less features, material quality is going to be lower as it is now.

If you don't like the way the 4GS rides, I think you'll be disappointed in the new IS.
Not sure I agree with that. Yes, the IS will have cheaper components, but it depends on what you`re looking for. The IS is smaller, so may be quicker, nimbler, and as a result more fun to drive. Also, if exterior styling is your thing (and you prefer the IS), then you might make the choice for that.

I agree with your comments about the classes, but "stepping down" isn't the way some people perceive it. I have a friend who has an S-Class (he thinks it's the pinnacle of luxury), but he also has a 3-series that he drives as is alternate car. Interestingly, he occasionally calls his S-Class the "winter beater", or more delicately sometimes "the family car". I don't think he thinks he's stepping down when he hops into his 3-series to go to work.

NOTE: I know the S-Class isn't necessarily the pinnacle of luxury (there are plenty of cars that are more extravagant), but there are some diminishing returns beyond $200K (although some may say the same about an Avalon and $40K )
Old 01-27-13, 05:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

But would he trade his S class in on an E class and not consider it a downgrade? Having a second car is an entirely different thing.

He's not comparing his S class and his 3 series, he doesn't have to. If he traded his S Class on a 3 series we could talk.

Its just a point of logic, the IS is lower cost, designed for a different demographic. The GS is an upgrade.
Old 01-27-13, 08:03 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

But would he trade his S class in on an E class and not consider it a downgrade? Having a second car is an entirely different thing.

He's not comparing his S class and his 3 series, he doesn't have to. If he traded his S Class on a 3 series we could talk.

Its just a point of logic, the IS is lower cost, designed for a different demographic. The GS is an upgrade.
Fair enough, he has a second car. I also have two neighbours who traded in their X5s for 3-series (my small block has 5+ 3-series now.. all black). Different class car, but some would consider downgrade. Instead, both these families have kids who are out of carseat age and the parents wanted a single car they could enjoy driving.
Old 01-27-13, 08:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And theres nothing wrong with a "downgrade", not really trying to say the GS is a better car to the IS being an inferior car, thats not my point. I personally would miss a lot of the features and quality of the GS if I were to go to an IS. I made that comment to my wife actually, now that I've had a car at this level, when the economy gets better and I can't drive one of these for $70 a month more than an ES I'm going to be in trouble LOL
Old 01-28-13, 05:11 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What features are only available on the GS?
Old 01-28-13, 05:39 AM
Masteron
Driver School Candidate

I had 2 IS a 2006 I bought new and a 2011 Fsport edition (not isf) that I also bought new and loved them but after going to a GS the only car now that I would be interested in as far as the Lexus line is the LS fsport and that is just out of my budget :-(
Old 01-28-13, 05:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Outrage
What features are only available on the GS?
12" screen, AFS, auto recirculating AC, 18 way power seats, semi aniline leather, ionic air filter, heated wipers, rear seat audio controls, you'll have lower plastic and leather quality in the inside and outside (exterior trim is textured black instead of gloss lack around the mirrors, rear valence, etc

The IS is built to a lower price threshold, there will be cost cutting to a level not found in the GS, as there is in the ES. Remember the current IS is the only Lexus to only have smart key lock buttons on the front doors...things like at.
Old 01-28-13, 06:55 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

12" screen, AFS, auto recirculating AC, 18 way power seats, semi aniline leather, ionic air filter, heated wipers, rear seat audio controls, you'll have lower plastic and leather quality in the inside and outside (exterior trim is textured black instead of gloss lack around the mirrors, rear valence, etc

The IS is built to a lower price threshold, there will be cost cutting to a level not found in the GS, as there is in the ES. Remember the current IS is the only Lexus to only have smart key lock buttons on the front doors...things like at.
The ionic filtration was removed from the US model, and the rear seat only has climate controls. I don't know if the IS will be available with AFS, but it will have automatic high beam control, which is lacking on the GS. The IS will also have cross traffic alert, like a Ford Focus, which is lacking on the GS. The navigation display will finally include a bird's eye view on the IS while the GS sticks with the old school 2D display. There's also the eight-speed automatic rather than a six-speed and the advanced display cluster rather than the "classic" style minimally-configurable one found on the GS.

The GS will still be marginally larger than the IS, however.
Old 01-28-13, 07:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure you'll see the new navigation framework and cross traffic alert on the 2014 GS, as well as the 8 speed which I have a feeling wasn't completed through the R&D phase in time for the GS, plus additional features we're not even discussing here.

The bottom line is that the GS is the upgrade model to the IS. It's larger, more expensive, with more features and better quality. The ES has a panoramic sunroof and the LS does not, does that mean that one is not upgrading by going from an ES to an LS?
Old 01-28-13, 12:53 PM
Masteron
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=SW10ES;7730260]I'm sure you'll see the new navigation framework and cross traffic alert on the 2014 GS, as well as the 8 speed which I have a feeling wasn't completed through the R&D phase in time for the GS, plus additional features we're not even discussing here.

8 speed would be nice!! Might just have to consider doing a trade in on a 2014 GS if they go that route?
Old 01-28-13, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Naa, I wouldn't trade my 2013 in early just for an 8 speed. Even if it were a new motor I'd stay put.