GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Best $10 investment

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 03:53 PM
SimonGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like everything else, it's a personal choice.
Old 01-26-13, 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonGS
Just to clarify. I do city driving. In and out my car 10 times a day. On the highway or high speed driving I wear it myself. But at 20, 30 miles a hr to drive 7 blocks I don't see a point.
You should do some research into what crash forces are in play when talking about a 20-30MPH accident.

You can absolutely die or be paralyzed in an accident at 20-30 MPH. You may not think it could happen to you, but it can. With this plugged into your seatbelt too the airbags will deploy as if you were belted, which could inflict even more injury. Most accidents happen close to home as well.

Just think of how stupid you'd think your decision that putting a seat belt on was too much hassle if you were a quadriplegic, or how senseless your family would feel your death was.

I'm in and out of the car 10+ times a day and I always wear a seatbelt, at this point its so automatic I don't even think about it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-26-13 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 05:41 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i turned my beeping off manually with instructions. i always use a seat belt but if just in a parking lot, the beeping was annoying to me.
Old 01-26-13, 05:51 PM
SKA430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh I have been looking for the manual procedure you are talking about to turn off the chime. I always wear my seat belt but I like to back out of the garage and put on after I start driving down the drive way first. I used the sticky on the 3GS pages to turn mine off in my last 2 older GS's but have not known how to do it on the 4GS. Is there a way?
Old 01-26-13, 06:06 PM
SimonGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not as much about wearing and not wearing the seat belt.. Its the seat belt chime. I know Lexus dealer could turn it off but they won't.. So this is the temp fix
Old 01-26-13, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

But if you wear your seatbelt you won't have to worry about the chime. The dealer won't turn it off because they don't want your grieving family to sue them.

Its your life, but its f'ing stupid. Sorry but it is.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-26-13 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 07:37 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I never wear a seat belt.. My car is to tinted so you wouldn't be able to see if I'm wearing it or not.
It's not about whether people can see you. It's about not getting thrown through the windshield or out of the car during an accident. I suggest you invest your next $10 in Ace bandages.
Old 01-26-13, 07:41 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

It is YOUR choice, but it raises MY insurance rates for bodily injury and no-fault.
Old 01-26-13, 07:57 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Rule number one. Never start a seat belt
thread on a car forum unless you plan to
wear a seatbelt or flame retardant...
Old 01-26-13, 08:27 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to clarify. I do city driving. In and out my car 10 times a day. On the highway or high speed driving I wear it myself. But at 20, 30 miles a hr to drive 7 blocks I don't see a point.
what about the dumbass who runs the stop sign at 60mph, while you're doing 20/30 mph? seat belts save lives... it saved mine. i was upside down in my car change falling out of my pocket hitting the roof. if i weren't wearing my seatbelt i wouldn't be replying to your post.
Old 01-26-13, 08:32 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
You should do some research into what crash forces are in play when talking about a 20-30MPH accident.

You can absolutely die or be paralyzed in an accident at 20-30 MPH. You may not think it could happen to you, but it can. With this plugged into your seatbelt too the airbags will deploy as if you were belted, which could inflict even more injury. Most accidents happen close to home as well.

Just think of how stupid you'd think your decision that putting a seat belt on was too much hassle if you were a quadriplegic, or how senseless your family would feel your death was.

I'm in and out of the car 10+ times a day and I always wear a seatbelt, at this point its so automatic I don't even think about it.
i agree... i have a friend who got into an accident. he put up his arm right before the airbag deployed and the airbag took the skin off that part of his forearm... down to the white meat. and that's the only injury he sustained.
Old 01-26-13, 11:46 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Good deal! lol
Wear a seat belt!
Old 01-27-13, 12:04 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Agreed, just like the purchase of a fast accelerating and cornering car like the GS is a personal choice. I mean no one here purchased a GS with the intent to drive it cautiously and conservatively for maximum safety. They bought one to experience the thrill of inherent danger of spirited driving. So the dudes here really have no business lecturing you about maximum safety.
Old 01-27-13, 05:35 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Gotta wear a seat belt but it didn't help that driver.

That's a guy who was texting.

Facebook
They found his cell phone still in his hand he was texting his head was in the back seat. PLEASE dont text while driving. Share this if your against Texting & Driving..
Do not play with the phone while driving! Harm to others! When rescue personnel found the deceased, the deceased had been decapitated, his hand still holding the phone. The original accident took place when the deceased was using a mobile phone.
An eye-opener for you sitting o send SMS while you are driving, because that was what this driver did. His mobile was still in his hand, but his head was in the backseat
He was texting his wife, to say he was 5 minutes from home. PLEASE dont text and drive! (Please share)

Although texting while driving is a STUPID thing to do, and has resulted in many deaths and injuries nationwide, this accident was not caused by texting. This is the story behind the accident:

http://wafflesatnoon.com/2012/08/01/...while-driving/
Old 01-27-13, 05:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
Although texting while driving is a STUPID thing to do, and has resulted in many deaths and injuries nationwide, this accident was not caused by texting. This is the story behind the accident:

http://wafflesatnoon.com/2012/08/01/...while-driving/
Interesting.
Also interesting is I don't live too far from where that happened.

Quick Reply: Best $10 investment