GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Analog Clock: A Nit Pick

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 06:54 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Analog Clock: A Nit Pick

A little frustration I have with the implementation of the clock in the car. The clock in my looses about a minute a week. I do like the analog design and implementation of the clock but, however, have a problem with how often it needs to be reset. With all the on-board technology including a nav system that has available to it a very precise time source (GPS), why would Lexus choose to provide a solid state (with analog display) clock that doesn't take advantage of the GPS clock for update of the minutes hand? My wife's inexpensive Mazda sets its own clock for goodness sake.

Along with the lack of a power assisted trunk closure system on US cars, this is the only other item that continues to bother me. And, for that, I am grateful.
Old 02-05-13, 07:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't noticed any clock issue....yet.
As far as the power trunk,it's not a big issue for me as I rarely use the trunk.
However,losing the power assisted fold in mirrors bugs me a bit.
Old 02-05-13, 07:21 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my vehicle, the hands of the clock to not line up with the markings on the clock. For example, the minute hand is halfway between four and five, then moves halfway between five and six. Which position designates four, five, and six? Since it's halfway there is no way to tell.
Old 02-05-13, 07:52 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
A little frustration I have with the implementation of the clock in the car. The clock in my looses about a minute a week. I do like the analog design and implementation of the clock but, however, have a problem with how often it needs to be reset. With all the on-board technology including a nav system that has available to it a very precise time source (GPS), why would Lexus choose to provide a solid state (with analog display) clock that doesn't take advantage of the GPS clock for update of the minutes hand? My wife's inexpensive Mazda sets its own clock for goodness sake.

Along with the lack of a power assisted trunk closure system on US cars, this is the only other item that continues to bother me. And, for that, I am grateful.
According to Lexus, we have to buy the flagship LS to get GPS linked analog clocks.
Old 02-05-13, 08:52 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Well I guess it's time for an upgrade! Thanks for the info.
Old 02-05-13, 08:53 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I haven't noticed any clock issue....yet.
As far as the power trunk,it's not a big issue for me as I rarely use the trunk.
However,losing the power assisted fold in mirrors bugs me a bit.
I may just have a bum clock. The mirrors would be nice but, never having them, I don't know what I'm missing.
Old 02-05-13, 10:25 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess I'm the new school... I don't care for analog clock. I wish it was digital and synced.
Old 02-05-13, 10:34 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This might be the selling point for the new flagship LS.
Old 02-05-13, 11:12 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3

take the car to lexus and have them fix your clock. or replace it.
Old 02-05-13, 01:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

No issues with my clock...
Old 02-05-13, 01:35 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
take the car to lexus and have them fix your clock. or replace it.
I'll take your advice next time I have to stop in for service.
Old 02-06-13, 11:31 AM
buffguy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to display digital clock on the nav screen? The analog clock looks cool and all, but its easier to read a digital clock.
Old 02-06-13, 11:38 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I have no issue's with the analog clock. I would like a digital clock somewhere in the car, I have had a couple of comments on the clock on how good it looks. It does really tick me off that the GS did not have the soft close trunk and electric closing mirrors. Can't cry over spilled milk, so I'll hope for the best in the redesign.
Old 02-06-13, 01:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by buffguy
Is there a way to display digital clock on the nav screen? The analog clock looks cool and all, but its easier to read a digital clock.
Nope, not possible.
Old 02-06-13, 02:50 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My clock has been absolutely accurate for the past 8 months. Never a need to change it.

Quick Reply: Analog Clock: A Nit Pick