GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Engine Warm Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 10:04 AM
stick22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Warm Up

Does anyone let their engine warm up a bit before they drive?

I usually wait for a small decrease in rpm (~ 1500 to ~1200) before I drive off. During that time, I usually am connecting my phone, removing my wallet and putting it in the cup holder, etc.

Just wondering if anyone else does this. The waiting part that is.
Old 02-08-13, 10:16 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stick22

I usually wait for a small decrease in rpm (~ 1500 to ~1200) before I drive off. During that time, I usually am connecting my phone, removing my wallet and putting it in the cup holder, etc.

What's up bud, how's the car treating you?

I think my wife uses the remote start in the GS and she has it all warmed up before she gets into the car every morning. I dont do any warm up to my cars but I dont push them hard until after they reached the safe temperature.
Old 02-08-13, 10:27 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done this since day 1. I start it up and wait for the RPMs to drop to 900, then I'm off!
Old 02-08-13, 10:33 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do the same. Let the RPM's go down to about 1000-900 before I go anywhere. I do it just for the piece of mind. I've seen to many ricers start their cars cold, immediately throw it in drive and floor it down the road spiting all sorts of smoke out of the tailpipe, and even a couple spin main bearings or throw connecting rods. I drive pretty "Spiritedly", so I'm not going to take my chances, even though everybody always acts like I am a total weirdo.
Old 02-08-13, 10:37 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

not at all, turn it on, drive away.

i think warmup was for older engine technologies, dont think new cars require them anymore.
Old 02-08-13, 11:02 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

What I've generally heard is that driving gently does no additional harm compared to warming up the car. I start and drive away, keeping under 2000rpm as much as possible.

Note that in Toronto we also have an idling law. While I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket in their driveway, I do try to be a law-abiding citizen.
Old 02-08-13, 11:16 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't wait for the rpm to drop. I wait about a minute and drive off conservatively.
Old 02-08-13, 12:03 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i always warm up the car via RS for 5-10 minutes, in the winter. if you don't mind my asking, why do you put your wallet in the cup holder? in the summer i usually remotely open the windows and moon roof so the car won't be so hot when i get in.
Old 02-08-13, 12:36 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i always warm up the car via RS for 5-10 minutes, in the winter. if you don't mind my asking, why do you put your wallet in the cup holder? in the summer i usually remotely open the windows and moon roof so the car won't be so hot when i get in.
it's actually not good to have your wallet in your back pocket and to sit on it, read the following site-
http://ergonomics.about.com/od/bodym...tip_wallet.htm
Old 02-08-13, 12:41 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
it's actually not good to have your wallet in your back pocket and to sit on it, read the following site-
I use a thinner bit smaller front pocket wallet.No back issue,safer too against losing it or someone pickpocketing.

Oh and I warm the car 2-3 minutes in cold weather.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-08-13 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-08-13, 12:46 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
You cracked me up, S. It was a long morning for me so this is a real good laugh. I couldn't help thinking about all the possible reasons I was asking myself too. I hope he remembers not to leave it there.

I do wait for the engine to settle a little bit (when you hear the engine noise and RPM drop). Maybe a minute. While waiting, I start my music app on my phone and ... check CL.

I read/heard somewhere that it doesn't matter for new engine too. But for me, it makes sense to wait a little bit. Just like we always warm up. No rush here.
Old 02-08-13, 12:46 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

I typically wait until it hits 1100 RPM. I'm in a semi-cold environment (St. Louis)
Old 02-08-13, 01:55 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend eel skin wallet. Super thin and super tough but also super soft. It's super and cheaper than any wallet out there. It's not the price, it's the quality. It's cheap enough to throw money at it. You'll like it.
Old 02-08-13, 02:09 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

interesting read... i never knew that could happen just by sitting on a wallet. thanx for the info.

Originally Posted by bnlexus
You cracked me up, S. It was a long morning for me so this is a real good laugh. I couldn't help thinking about all the possible reasons I was asking myself too. I hope he remembers not to leave it there.

I do wait for the engine to settle a little bit (when you hear the engine noise and RPM drop). Maybe a minute. While waiting, I start my music app on my phone and ... check CL.

I read/heard somewhere that it doesn't matter for new engine too. But for me, it makes sense to wait a little bit. Just like we always warm up. No rush here.
anything to get a chuckle out of you BN... i was curious as to why so i had to ask. after reading about it, it's supposed to be bad for your spine, neck, etc. it would be a hard habit to break. i would either always leave it in my back pocket or leave it in the cup holder.
Old 02-08-13, 02:44 PM
DrKeith
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsch222
I typically wait until it hits 1100 RPM. I'm in a semi-cold environment (St. Louis)
Same here. Gives me a chance to listen to some music too.

Hey @jsch222 I am in St. Louis too in the Clayton/Richmond Heights area. I have only seen two 2013 GS out on the road here. Where are you located?

Quick Reply: Engine Warm Up