GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How Good is The AWD System!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 06:01 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by InfamousQ
the AWD with Michelin Alpin PA4 on snow is amazing!! We have over 3 foot of snow this year (slightly below normal), & winter is only half way through. The way she drives over snow, puts many trucks & SUV's to shame. Temperature here can go as low as 30 below 0 C (~86 below 0 F)

Having driven Infiniti's AWD system, the Lexus is on par, maybe slightly better for traction, which takes more effort to drift (with traction & stability fully disengage). Lexus AWD is at the very least 30F/70R distribution, so driving with snow mode is not required, which makes it 50/50 distribution & slows transmission shifts.

Edit: 30 below 0 C is (22 below 0 F)
Thanks all I wasn't able to drive the car because there was to much snow almost piling over the car. Thanks I was really wondering if this car could handle the winter we had.
Old 02-11-13, 06:27 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey folks, wanted to give my few cents as I've had experience with a few cars over the past little while. With respect to how it "goes", the car feels like a tank. It's much better than my dads 4Matic CLS550, and in some ways I actually found it almost as impressive as my mom's LX570 (albeit a totally different car). I have the AWD, but with the cruddy Turanza all-seasons. Surprisingly the Turanza's don't disappoint as much as I thought they would (given my fair-weather experience). The car also seems to go just as well as my wife's EX35, I would suggest even slightly better. With respect to stopping, I don't feel as comfortable as I do in my wife's EX35 (which has pretty weak brakes), but that could also be the Turanza's.

I actually felt guilty driving my car in the snow. Because it felt so much like a tank, I probably wasn't as careful as I should have been. Overall, very happy with my car and looking forward to getting some winter tires down the road.
Old 02-11-13, 07:52 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
Hey folks, wanted to give my few cents as I've had experience with a few cars over the past little while. With respect to how it "goes", the car feels like a tank. It's much better than my dads 4Matic CLS550, and in some ways I actually found it almost as impressive as my mom's LX570 (albeit a totally different car). I have the AWD, but with the cruddy Turanza all-seasons. Surprisingly the Turanza's don't disappoint as much as I thought they would (given my fair-weather experience). The car also seems to go just as well as my wife's EX35, I would suggest even slightly better. With respect to stopping, I don't feel as comfortable as I do in my wife's EX35 (which has pretty weak brakes), but that could also be the Turanza's.

I actually felt guilty driving my car in the snow. Because it felt so much like a tank, I probably wasn't as careful as I should have been. Overall, very happy with my car and looking forward to getting some winter tires down the road.
did you feel the difference when you put it in snow mode?
Old 02-11-13, 08:36 PM
InfamousQ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Thanks all I wasn't able to drive the car because there was to much snow almost piling over the car. Thanks I was really wondering if this car could handle the winter we had.
I wouldn't advise driving in snow that's 6 inches or more on all-season, you won't get stuck if you disengage traction/stability, but the stopping distance will be greatly reduced & at highway speeds, handling may become less predictable.

With winter tires, the car is very stable & handling is predictable, which leads to over-confidence & even carelessness. Driving in manual mode on Sport+, (down shift to change lanes/high speed turns/decelerate), as well as left foot braking (may take practice) in heavy traffic conditions, provides extra stabilty & control in adverse conditions.

If traction/stability kicks in too much & the vehicle is still stuck, one can always fully disengage & let all 4 wheels claw itself out. The AWD is good enough that it should be able to claw itself out without having to disengage traction/stability.
Old 02-11-13, 08:45 PM
InfamousQ
Rookie

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
When snow mode is engaged, power distribution becomes 50F/50R instead of the normal 30F/70R, which results in a loss of power, & increase fuel consumption. Transmission shifts becomes slower, & the engine output is reminiscence of Eco Mode. The trasmission starts off on 2nd gear, when accelerating from a stand-still, usually.

My sales rep called snow mode, "granny mode"
Old 03-19-13, 01:51 PM
axiom00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by InfamousQ
the AWD with Michelin Alpin PA4 on snow is amazing!! We have over 3 foot of snow this year (slightly below normal), & winter is only half way through. The way she drives over snow, puts many trucks & SUV's to shame. Temperature here can go as low as 30 below 0 C (~86 below 0 F)

Having driven Infiniti's AWD system, the Lexus is on par, maybe slightly better for traction, which takes more effort to drift (with traction & stability fully disengage). Lexus AWD is at the very least 30F/70R distribution, so driving with snow mode is not required, which makes it 50/50 distribution & slows transmission shifts.

Edit: 30 below 0 C is (22 below 0 F)
Hi InfamousQ,

Just wondering what you have your winter tires mounted on? Black steel rims or the stock rims?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-13, 04:51 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Sorry Syd, just realized I never responded here. The only difference I notice with snow mode is that the throttle is more cautious (ie. you have to put more pressure down to go) . I don't think it made a difference to the traction control, and while I think it might have made a slight change to the front/rear split... I couldn't really confirm.

From a standstill, if I was in a "slippery" situation, turning off/on snow mode didn't feel to make much difference (aside from the more conservative throttle).