GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Price paid for GS350 F sport....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyrepower
What you say is true, however you have to consider their costs of holding a vehicle longer to gain an extra profit. Most dealerships do not own their inventory, they have notes they are paying interest on for their inventory.
I understand that, but that changes nothing. Its supply and demand, they will negotiate down until it makes no sense for them to do so, and then they won't go any farther. What they have to negotiate down to depends on market factors, inventory, how long the car has been on the lot, volume. You said you owned a dealer, you should understand this.

Like I said before, if they felt that they needed to accept that price to sell the car...they would have. Your offer was rejected, move on.

If I can get it cheaper elsewhere so I will not be made a sucker of.
This is the flaw in your argument, you are not a sucker because you could have driven 5+ hours away and bought it somewhere else. Thats like saying I bought a house in DC and paid $500k, I'm a sucker because I could have gone to PA and paid $200k. The two things are not comparable. SoCal is a completely different market, and 99.9% of consumers would not travel 10 miles to get a better deal, let alone 300. You said it yourself, most consumers would pay. Why is the dealer wrong for not selling their car to a consumer who is willing to pay more than you, rather than to you?

If you are willing to drive that distance and buy the car out of state, go for it. Enjoy the savings. Doesn't make your local dealer wrong for pricing his inventory according to HIS local market. Am I a sucker because I didn't fly to CA and save more on my GS?

I am not mad they would not do the deal, I am a little more perturbed about their demeanor.......rather low class if you ask me. tell me no. don't dismiss me.
I wasn't there, but I have a lot of experience with dealers. True some are rude and brusque, but a lot of times its a reaction to what they are getting from the consumer. If someone came into your dealership, lowballed you by $2,300, called you a liar and told you to go tell your BS to someone who cares, how polite would you be when you showed them the door?

In the end...who cares? You're going to drive to CA, buy the car for someone else and save $2,200.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-06-13 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 02:35 PM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We weren't there, except you. You have every right to take your business elsewhere if you feel the need to do so!

Anyway, I know your original question was about price. Buying for $52.5 may be pretty difficult (not impossible) without incentives at this time. I was able to get around that price using mostly cash on a $57,6xx MSRP fsport AFTER considerable incentives back in December for a white/cabernet which was hard to find at the time in socal. I was even offered $3K below invoice at Longo for any Fsport on their lot but they didn't have what I wanted and wouldn't trade for it. All in all, your experience will vary depending on time, location, availability and some luck...but you already know that. Good luck and happy buying!
Old 03-06-13, 03:08 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$52,500 on that car is way low, it's not a surprise they were not willing to deal with you. You can say you're a serious buyer all you want, but when you throw a low number like that out there, they won't take you seriously at all.
Old 03-06-13, 09:06 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI

There are significant incentives on gs's right now even fsports (we just leased one). The incentives are darn near just as good as dec to rem. It's a great time to do a 27 mo lease right now.

Last edited by 052SI; 03-06-13 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

About $1500 or more?
Old 03-06-13, 09:23 PM
mush
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 052SI
FYI

There are significant incentives on gs's right now even fsports (we just leased one). The incentives are darn near just as good as dec to rem. It's a great time to do a 27 mo lease right now.
If its like what december was then he should be able to get the car for 53500 drive out
I got my car for 52500 drive out. Sticker was 56xxx. It was a little bit over 4k off
Old 03-06-13, 10:24 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The deals are very very strong right now, he should get all the details for the nat incentives in his region and then have the dealer discount on top of them. The difference in our lease deal from Feb waiting to Mar was substantial. The gsm said the current deal is the closest he's ever seen to dec to rem.
Old 03-06-13, 10:45 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The sticker price on the car I was interested in buying locally was $57,6xx.
Please provide your constructive input. What did you all pay for your GS f sports?
My car has the exact mrsp. Dealer offered 5200 off sticker. Then another 1500 discount for conquest rebate. So total selling price around 51,xxx plus TTL. This was during last summer in southern CA. I didn't tell them I was leasing until after the price was negotiated.
Old 03-06-13, 11:03 PM
Hyrepower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mso4
My car has the exact mrsp. Dealer offered 5200 off sticker. Then another 1500 discount for conquest rebate. So total selling price around 51,xxx plus TTL. This was during last summer in southern CA. I didn't tell them I was leasing until after the price was negotiated.
To all that presumptuously said, "I was out of line" read this quote. Not to start an argument, but why comment on something unless you are positive of the info.

Thanks to all that were constructive, but is frustrating being criticized by people who are wrong.
Old 03-07-13, 04:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Well, I would have said that was a low offer. I would also take my business elsewhere if the dealer acted like that, I have every right to come in ask an offer I feel reasonable, if they don't agree they can nicely tell me they can not sell the car at that price, I'm the consumer. just my two-cents.
Old 03-07-13, 05:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To all that presumptuously said, "I was out of line" read this quote. Not to start an argument, but why comment on something unless you are positive of the info.

Thanks to all that were constructive, but is frustrating being criticized by people who are wrong.
We're not wrong. Markets are local, what one member can get in one location is not always what one member can get in another location. What is achievable in one month is not always what one can achieve in another month. I got $6k off my GS at the end of November, it doesn't mean you could have done that in January or today, or that you could have done that in Ohio even at the same time. You will see that member is in CA, and the car was bought 6+ months ago. We have said repeatedly you can get stronger deals in CA than anywhere else in the country. You also have a similar quote...from a dealer in CA. So go buy the car instead of complaining that your dealer in Las Vegas won't do the same deal as a higher volume, more competitive dealer in another state.

I did not say you were out of line for wanting the deal you want, or out of line for driving to another state to get it. Where you were out of line was when you thought the dealer you went to owed you a certain deal, and reacted badly to them when they didn't give you what you thought was owed to you. Nobody owes you anything, complaining doesn't get you anywhere. Go buy the car in CA and enjoy it.

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I have every right to come in ask an offer I feel reasonable, if they don't agree they can nicely tell me they can not sell the car at that price, I'm the consumer. just my two-cents.
Do they still have to tell you things "nicely" after you have called them a liar, told them to "tell their BS to someone else"? Sounds like they were trying to be as nice as they could be, offering to shake his hand, etc. He's the one who refused to do so and laughed in their face.

Its hard to be nice to someone who thinks they're superior to you and calls you a liar to your face, all I'm sayin'. I'm in sales too, not auto sales but sales. I show people the door in my office like that every once and a while.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-07-13 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-07-13, 06:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Dec incentives were a $1500 Lexus loyalty incentive and first month's payment paid by Lexus and a GS lease or purchase could be had at invoice.So the deal was under invoice.
I haven't checked but I don't think the incentives are that good this month and haven't seen anything like that in ads....at least in the NYC metro area.
Old 03-07-13, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bnlexus
IMO there is a significant difference between businessman and business owner. The salesman and manager are businessmen. If they were business owners, they would have responded differently. Consumers have the rights to say whatever they want even if it's not reasonable. As someone said we should leave emotion out of the door before the negotiation. Business owners usually do the same too.
Hard to say that when you weren't there. I'm a business owner and I can tell you, even for a business owner its hard to stay friendly and polite when someone calls you a liar to your face and treats you like garbage. Not saying that happened here because I also was not there, but given this exchange and the experience I have dealing with customers...I have a feeling.

Sometimes all you can do is get up, end the meeting and show the customer the door. The customer is not always right, and its not always worth trying to do business with every customer. If dealing with one disrespectful, unreasonable customer takes your time and zaps your energy and enthusiasm you could put towards other customers, even if it results in a sale it can be a failure. Its not a "keep every customer at any cost" mentality, especially when you're the only dealer in town.

Its all just people, at the end of the day the sales manager and salesman are trying to put food on their table, and you're trying to still be able to put food on the table when the deal is done. You'll be much more successful in these situations if you keep that in mind.

Now, the OP is in a situation where he kind of can't go back to his local dealership even if he wanted to.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-07-13 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-07-13, 07:55 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Let me know the exact spec of the car you are looking for OP. I know the GMs of several Lexus dealership personally and I can ask them to locate a car for you.
Old 03-07-13, 08:56 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Do they still have to tell you things "nicely" after you have called them a liar, told them to "tell their BS to someone else"? Sounds like they were trying to be as nice as they could be, offering to shake his hand, etc. He's the one who refused to do so and laughed in their face.
Its hard to be nice to someone who thinks they're superior to you and calls you a liar to your face, all I'm sayin'. I'm in sales too, not auto sales but sales. I show people the door in my office like that every once and a while.
No I'm talking in general, when a customer goes up and the dealer or salesmen doesn't budge or shows you the door and say never come back, that's a little harsh. There are better ways to handle such a situation, that was not one I would agree too. Again as you said I wasn't there but if a salesmen said that the relationship between us was cut I would laugh as well.

Quick Reply: Price paid for GS350 F sport....