GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus Obsidian Paint..I give up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 04:18 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep Syd seen the worst of all pains, I feel ya.
Old 03-08-13, 07:29 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny

definitely looks good when perfect, but even my detailer said he has never seen a paint so soft and prone to scratch. he was able to scratch it with the soft side of his finger just by gently rubbing the paint up and down, also, i think if you stare at it long enough, you can also scratch it.

takes too much time and effort to care for it, and even then, it still gets scratched. car is a lease and will go back in 25 months, i'm done caring for the paint!
It's not only black trust me I think all the colors are soft, my car easily scratches, compared to the 3GS I had the scratches happen easily on these cars I have noticed. Sad part is this paint is supposed to heal itself isn't it. Haven't seen it work yet.
Old 03-08-13, 07:38 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
It's not only black trust me I think all the colors are soft, my car easily scratches, compared to the 3GS I had the scratches happen easily on these cars I have noticed. Sad part is this paint is supposed to heal itself isn't it. Haven't seen it work yet.
unfortunately we don't have the self healing clear coat... only the LS has the self healing clear coat. but i've seen a few LS's with hella scratches and swirls, so it makes me wonder how well the self healing clear coat works. the LS has had it since the 07- 08 model, maybe sooner.
Old 03-08-13, 08:03 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
unfortunately we don't have the self healing clear coat... only the LS has the self healing clear coat. but i've seen a few LS's with hella scratches and swirls, so it makes me wonder how well the self healing clear coat works. the LS has had it since the 07- 08 model, maybe sooner.
Oh thought we had it, I was gonna say this crap ain't healing s%*#.
Old 03-08-13, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Its a bunch of BS
Old 03-08-13, 08:22 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

All I can say is "Liquid Platinum, my friends. Liquid Platinum". You won't see the payoff after you wax her, but you won't see the scratches when you don't.
Old 03-08-13, 08:29 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Oh thought we had it, I was gonna say this crap ain't healing s%*#.
lol...

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Its a bunch of BS
damn shame how they lie to the consumers.

Originally Posted by dseag2
All I can say is "Liquid Platinum, my friends. Liquid Platinum". You won't see the payoff after you wax her, but you won't see the scratches when you don't.
LP or SP is my next color.
Old 03-08-13, 10:44 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

unfortunately we don't have the self healing clear coat... only the LS has the self healing clear coat...
Well, I can tell you for a FACT, the 2013 LS in NG cannot "heal itself" from the carelessness of a tinter wearing a belt buckle under his apron. Clear coat on both rear quarter panels was scratched, smeared, and scraped. I thought my local carwash had done it until the owner explained his equipment CANNOT make vertical scratches. Tinter fessed up and paid for my detailer to buff out the damage. Good as new. I doubt this counts as "self healing" though.
Old 03-09-13, 06:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Its one of those gimmick type things, like Mercedes "Ceramiclear" paint that could not scratch..notice you don't hear anything about that any more? It did scratch and swirl, and was impossible to polish afterwards.
Old 03-09-13, 07:40 AM
tiger888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the obsidian colour in my rx350 and it was tough to maintain. i did get a lot of scratches so for my gs350 i went with the silver colour. youre right though its really easy to scratch the obsidian
Old 03-09-13, 08:19 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will say this though, it looks GOOD when shiny. got it washed yesterday, rained at night, so cleaned whole car with freedom waterless wash.

and even swirls in this lighting won't really show.

the car has definitely picked up some swirls from the car wash guy, but i'm done caring, swirls are normal part of life.
Old 03-09-13, 08:41 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

you gotta love it when it's clean, she's lookin good.
Old 03-09-13, 09:06 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by dseag2
I beg to differ in sunlight I could see all the scratches from the car wash, just black shows it more prominently. This LP does shine a little better in the sun compared to my 3GS, so guess they did work on something, now they need to work on a thicker stronger paint.
Old 03-10-13, 07:58 AM
loki312
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a black 2001 IS 300 that scratched all of the time and it drove me nuts. after that i had a corvette z06 in lemans blue which also scratched (but not nearly as bad).

i do think darker colors on cars are more complementary in general but i use to have a heart attack every time i saw a knick in the hood...so when i got my gs i got it in siler (liquid platinum - whatever the **** it's called). best color choice i've ever made.

i use to just carry around little applicators of factory matched touch up paint to clean up my car....obviously it was never perfect, but it usually can't be.
Old 03-10-13, 10:08 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Its one of those gimmick type things, like Mercedes "Ceramiclear" paint that could not scratch..notice you don't hear anything about that any more? It did scratch and swirl, and was impossible to polish afterwards.
Thats not true. My S500 had has type of paint. It didnt scratch unless u deliberately put a scratch into it. Was definitely hard to polish though

Quick Reply: Lexus Obsidian Paint..I give up!