GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus Obsidian Paint..I give up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 01:47 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Obsidian Paint..I give up!

definitely looks good when perfect, but even my detailer said he has never seen a paint so soft and prone to scratch. he was able to scratch it with the soft side of his finger just by gently rubbing the paint up and down, also, i think if you stare at it long enough, you can also scratch it.

takes too much time and effort to care for it, and even then, it still gets scratched. car is a lease and will go back in 25 months, i'm done caring for the paint!
Old 03-08-13, 01:54 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny

definitely looks good when perfect, but even my detailer said he has never seen a paint so soft and prone to scratch. he was able to scratch it with the soft side of his finger just by gently rubbing the paint up and down, also, i think if you stare at it long enough, you can also scratch it.

takes too much time and effort to care for it, and even then, it still gets scratched. car is a lease and will go back in 25 months, i'm done caring for the paint!
So why is he rubbing your paint like that?! It looks great for what it's worth!
Old 03-08-13, 01:57 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty much any black car these days, not just Lexus. Thank the EPA for the wonderful new paint requirements that manufacturers have to abide by now.
Old 03-08-13, 02:03 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyBrad
It's pretty much any black car these days, not just Lexus. Thank the EPA for the wonderful new paint requirements that manufacturers have to abide by now.
Maybe they have tougher air quality standards in Japan?
Old 03-08-13, 02:08 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
Maybe they have tougher air quality standards in Japan?
If the car is being imported into the US, they have to comply with US EPA standards. Things like water % in the color, carrier and clear. It's sucks. My friends Benz is the same way, if you look at it wrong, it's full of swirls.
Old 03-08-13, 02:09 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

i still don't regret the color i got, but i guess white would have been a better choice in terms of not showing swirls.
Old 03-08-13, 02:26 PM
052SI
Pole Position

For maint including showing dirt and also for good looks, silver is probably your best bet.
Old 03-08-13, 02:26 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i feel your pain mod... what i do now is pat her dry after i wash her, i do not wipe her. it's a full time job plus overtime. i will never ever ever buy another black car, ever. the paint on Japanese cars are notoriously soft, some softer than others. German paint is a little harder. i can not for the life of me figure out how to maintain this car without scratching it. i am very careful and do everything right. this guy was looking at my car and said this looks smooth as glass and he went to run his hand over the hood... i stopped him right before his hand reached the hood and told him not to touch the car. the car may be dusty, i might be in the mall and come out to see fingerprints on the hood or trunk and know someone has touched my car and if they touched it they scratched it, why do people do that? i don't touch anyones car... never. SP or LP would be the go to colors, even the NG. i feel your pain...
Old 03-08-13, 02:28 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

i still don't regret the color i got, but i guess white would have been a better choice in terms of not showing swirls.
SP still shows swirls but not as quickly or intense as the OB. you can wash an Obsidian and see hella scratches when you're done, the SP you may see a few and only at certain angles and lighting.
Old 03-08-13, 02:32 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

My detailer said the same thing. I was using my finger to feel the paint and one of the guys said, "Dont touch it. You'll scratch it!" I'm with you though. After all these I still dont regret getting the color (yet).
Old 03-08-13, 02:50 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never, ever, buy a gloss black car. I owned a VW/Audi and it was a gloss black. Looked great when clean, but hairline scratches all over. Always go for the pearlescent colors as they hide these things much more effectively and also add a lot of depth in my opinion. When I was told I couldn't get the black pearl in the F Sport I quickly ditched the black idea. Mind you this is coming from someone who has owned 6 blk cars back to back. Decided to go the opposite way, Starfire Pearl.
Old 03-08-13, 02:52 PM
ialexxx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually know someone that sprayed an extra layer of clear coat on the entire car. It seems to be holding up pretty well. Fyi he has a black ls
Old 03-08-13, 03:03 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

i originally had superior shine perfect the paint when an inexperienced detailer put holograms all over the car right when i got it. the car was perfect, i didn't wash it in over 6 weeks because it kept raining, and when i wash, it takes 3-4 hrs with the proper way (grit guards, 3 buckets, patting car dry then buffing with quick detailer and clean MF, etc), so each time in rained, got dirtier, and got sunny days in so.cal too, and this past weekend when i washed it for the first time in 6 weeks, water spots all over the car that i could not remove since the sun had etched the water spots in the car.

took it to superior shine again, made it perfect.

rained a few days later (yes i checked forecast, thought i would avoid it, was wrong).

this morning i used freedom waterless car wash, left scratches on it, drove direct to the car wash guy that services our work building, and gave him my keys. i give up. he does use grit guards, different spongue for body, diff bucket for wheels and uses brushes, so i figure itll be fine. everybody here has him wash our cars, ghosts, aventadors, bentleys, r8's, m5s, etc.

as you said syd, it's like a full time job and overtime keeping this car clean...don't have time for that anymore.
Old 03-08-13, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I feel ya...I've always wanted a black car, but its just too much work.

Anybody been around Lexus long enough to remember when Lexus black was single stage with no clear?
Old 03-08-13, 03:22 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

i originally had superior shine perfect the paint when an inexperienced detailer put holograms all over the car right when i got it. the car was perfect, i didn't wash it in over 6 weeks because it kept raining, and when i wash, it takes 3-4 hrs with the proper way (grit guards, 3 buckets, patting car dry then buffing with quick detailer and clean MF, etc), so each time in rained, got dirtier, and got sunny days in so.cal too, and this past weekend when i washed it for the first time in 6 weeks, water spots all over the car that i could not remove since the sun had etched the water spots in the car.

took it to superior shine again, made it perfect.

rained a few days later (yes i checked forecast, thought i would avoid it, was wrong).

this morning i used freedom waterless car wash, left scratches on it, drove direct to the car wash guy that services our work building, and gave him my keys. i give up. he does use grit guards, different spongue for body, diff bucket for wheels and uses brushes, so i figure itll be fine. everybody here has him wash our cars, ghosts, aventadors, bentleys, r8's, m5s, etc.

as you said syd, it's like a full time job and overtime keeping this car clean...don't have time for that anymore.
i feel your pain my friend, you get to that point where you just say **** it. i haven't gotten there yet.

Quick Reply: Lexus Obsidian Paint..I give up!