GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whiff of cold air when cornering (in cold weather)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 05:17 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Whiff of cold air when cornering (in cold weather)

Hey folks,

I never posted about this before as it's never bothered me, but the engineer in me is wondering the reason/cause. So when I do a relatively fast (or tight, or combination of the two) corner and the weather is cold outside, I get a whiff of cold air hitting me across the face and chest, even though the interior of the car was warm seconds before.

I presume this has to do with the way the car only focuses hot air on the front of the car (or driver's seat?) based on the HVAC settings.

Has anyone else experienced this? I noticed it all winter on my drive home and never thought much of it, but it happened again today (the weather dropped significantly last night) and just want a reason for it. I'll change the settings on my HVAC to warm up the whole car this afternoon and see if it still persists.

M
Old 03-14-13, 06:18 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Weirdo.
Old 03-14-13, 06:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Weirdo.
Oh my...
Old 03-14-13, 07:53 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Other than hitchhiking ghosts, I have no explanation for this. I'm sure it's not passing through the doors/windows because you would hear that amount of air coming in.
Old 03-14-13, 09:19 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's becasue the air mass inside the cabin is not a homogeneous mix. There are hot spots and cold spots.

Also keep in mind that gas is compressible and "gives" so as you take the turn, your body is simply moving through a cold spot.

You would not feel this effect if the fluid were incompressible because the molecules "move together" with you during the turn.
Old 03-14-13, 09:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
It's becasue the air mass inside the cabin is not a homogeneous mix. There are hot spots and cold spots.

Also keep in mind that gas is compressible and "gives" so as you take the turn, your body is simply moving through a cold spot.

You would not feel this effect if the fluid were incompressible because the molecules "move together" with you during the turn.
I have to huh!
Old 03-14-13, 10:05 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs

Good enough for me. I've just never experienced it in a car before, and in my GS it's a significant temperature change. It's like getting hit in the face with near-freezing air when the temperature inside is otherwise nice and toasty.

Yes, definitely not coming from outside.
Old 03-14-13, 11:25 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

It could also be that in combination with your arms (on the steering wheel) blocking the hot air flow from the vents as you turn.
Old 03-14-13, 12:18 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

if your vents are not set to recirc, then there is fresh air coming through the vent which could explain the cold spot. i feel it on my hand when it is on the gear shift also... not all the time just sometimes. maybe that's what you're feeling.
Old 03-14-13, 01:13 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

that is interesting, but I think what Syd said is correct, so play around with the vent switches and see what happens.
Old 03-14-13, 02:40 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
that is interesting, but I think what Syd said is correct, so play around with the vent switches and see what happens.
the recirc button is above the S-flow button. maybe this will work. BTW, this is the loaner... my buttons are not dusty at all. lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76804690@N05/8557396719/http://www.flickr.com/photos/76804690@N05/8557396719/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/76804690@N05/, on Flickr
Old 03-14-13, 04:05 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
...this is the loaner... my buttons are not dusty at all...
Nobody washes a rental car. I guess SOME things remain true forever...
Old 03-14-13, 05:53 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
Good enough for me. I've just never experienced it in a car before, and in my GS it's a significant temperature change. It's like getting hit in the face with near-freezing air.
You are an engineer and you believe that?
Old 03-14-13, 06:01 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
You are an engineer and you believe that?
I'm an engineer and I can verify that fluid dynamics (air is actually a fluid) does indeed have a force component when motion is involved. I believe this is one of the causes of the force that pushes occupants toward the front of the vehicle when brakes are suddenly applied. All the air in the back seat rushes forward and presses on the back of your head, forcing you forward. If it wasn't for the seatbelts and AIR-bags (yep, air again), you might smash right into the windshield. Truck drivers without backseats do not suffer this effect as much and tend to survive air impacts much better than people in cars when the two of them collide. It's an engineery thing.
Old 03-14-13, 06:16 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
Hey folks,

I never posted about this before as it's never bothered me, but the engineer in me is wondering the reason/cause. So when I do a relatively fast (or tight, or combination of the two) corner and the weather is cold outside, I get a whiff of cold air hitting me across the face and chest, even though the interior of the car was warm seconds before.

I presume this has to do with the way the car only focuses hot air on the front of the car (or driver's seat?) based on the HVAC settings.

Has anyone else experienced this? I noticed it all winter on my drive home and never thought much of it, but it happened again today (the weather dropped significantly last night) and just want a reason for it. I'll change the settings on my HVAC to warm up the whole car this afternoon and see if it still persists.

M
Ok so I did feel this today, although it sounds similar this was in my fathers ES and the air felt as though it was coming from the door right around the side view mirror. There was no sound but I could feel a cold breeze coming through. Not sure if this is similar to what the OP was experiencing but seemed the same.

Quick Reply: Whiff of cold air when cornering (in cold weather)