GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hard to sell a 50k GS privately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 01:35 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sprtent
Let just say in my line of work, I shouldn't be seen in such nice of a car. The Prius was great. Even though the Prius wasn't cheap, but people understood I was driving it to save gas and being green. Maybe my future situation this nice of a car will be more appropriate. Maybe a better solution is for me to get another car for commuting. Maybe my planning is messed up
Ah! Good news, then. We have a solution to your dilemma. Take the GS back to the dealer and trade it in on a brand new 2013 GS450h Hybrid. It boasts both an ECO and and ELECTRIC VEHICLE mode for those with "eyes" that concern you. And, it has a Sport and Sport + mode that really scream and nobody will know from outside which mode you're running in (except EV which is silent). You'll be able to justify the price with the 30+mpg rating (34, I think) and everyone will be happy all around. How's THAT for a solution to all your problems?

Last edited by williakz; 03-18-13 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-18-13, 01:46 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I can't speak to what you do for a living, but I would take $5k and get an inexpensive commuter car before I did away with my GS completely for something else.
That's a great advice. Garage her for weekends if you can afford it. Have you considered Bart? 50K for a used GS seems a lot though. People may just get a new one. Hope things work out for you.
Old 03-18-13, 01:54 PM
mush
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let just say in my line of work, I shouldn't be seen in such nice of a car. The Prius was great. Even though the Prius wasn't cheap, but people understood I was driving it to save gas and being green. Maybe my future situation this nice of a car will be more appropriate. Maybe a better solution is for me to get another car for commuting. Maybe my planning is messed up
same here, and me being young doesent help. thats why i daily drive a camry
Old 03-18-13, 01:55 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by patricksr5
Try listing it on Autotrader or ebay and see what happens. You will take a hit but some people only like to buy a 'new' used car and so they don't take the depreciation hit (sorry you have to). People can get a loan so they don;t need $50K in cash.
Yes, there are several private sales on Autotrader with price range I am expecting. Not much on Ebay. But I will post on classified here first if I decide to sell. Thanks.

Originally Posted by jettie1767
Why would it matter what other people say or how they look at you? If you like the car and can afford it, keep it. If you can legitimately pay for the car and can afford the car, why would it be seen negatively by the people you work with? Everyone makes choices and it isn't your fault if you like the GS and can afford it. Enjoy it and don't worry about what other people think or say!
I do enjoy driving it. Very much so. And I do agree with you totally, jettie1767.
Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
What exactly do you do in your line of work
1sWt2GS, I teach.
I can't speak to what you do for a living, but I would take $5k and get an inexpensive commuter car before I did away with my GS completely for something else.
Originally Posted by bnlexus
That's a great advice. Garage her for weekends if you can afford it. Have you considered Bart? 50K for a used GS seems a lot though. People may just get a new one. Hope things work out for you.
I did thought of that, but at this point in time, 1 older car with more fuel efficient is a better fit.
Originally Posted by CincyBrad
If you keep cars long term, just keep the GS. It's well built, and could likely go 150k+ miles with minimal issues. It's also still under warranty, which is nice. Lexus pays to fix it, plus you get a loaner.
Problem is, I never kept any car for too long. Most was 4 years.
Old 03-18-13, 01:57 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

thanks for the suggestion, SW10ES.
Old 03-18-13, 02:01 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by williakz
Ah! Good news, then. We have a solution to your dilemma. Take the GS back to the dealer and trade it in on a brand new 2013 GS459h Hybrid. It boasts both an ECO and and ELECTRIC VEHICLE mode for those with "eyes" that concern you. And, it has a Sport and Sport + mode that really scream and nobody will know from outside which mode you're running in (except EV which is silent). You'll be able to justify the price with the 30+mpg rating (34, I think) and everyone will be happy all around. How's THAT for a solution to all your problems?
This actually was my previous plan. But that still doesn't solve my nice car "problem"
Old 03-18-13, 02:14 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

haha Im in the same postion as u. My job is **** pay and im driving a nicer car than my manager. LOL
Old 03-18-13, 02:17 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

You don't have a nice car "problem".

Stop worrying about what your co-workers think. Who cares. It's your money, drive what you like. If they have an issue with it, they need to find something better to worry about. I have seen CEO's making $15 million a year driving around in 8 year old Honda Accords, and people that make $60k a year driving BMW M5's. Everyone has different likes. If you can afford the car, keep it, and tell your co-workers to F off.
Old 03-18-13, 03:03 PM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second this. With the capital loss you'll take selling and then buying another car, may as well put a little money in an older car as a daily driver.

I still have an old 02 Accord I drive to work with or when I know I'm going to be in an unfavorable area. Find an alternate solution to your problem (public transportation, scooter, carpool, buying older <$5K car, etc.) and it makes a lot more sense, financially and practically speaking. However, if this is purely a money issue (no longer can afford payments/upkeep), then the choice is easy. Trade in a GS and you can practically get a new Prius + Camry. /my2cents
Old 03-18-13, 03:52 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Absolutely possible! I guarantee you'll get at least 5k more than trading it in.

Recently I wanted to sell my Corvette. Highest trade in offer was 20k. I listed mine on the autotrader and within a month sold it for 30k to a buyer in Wyoming. I only got one legitimate call and that's all it took. The gentleman purchased the car sight unseen. Within 3 days he had an enclosed trailer came and picked up the car.

I got a bunch of calls from companies offering to list my car on their sites.

So just be patient, expect to wait 1-3 months. Expect a bunch of bs calls from other company websites. But if you want to save 5k I think it's worth it. A buddy of mine just traded in his '08 BMW 335 convertible with 55k miles for $20k. I sold my '07 335i w/ 90k miles via private party for 18.5k three months ago. Took a month also.
Old 03-18-13, 06:48 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, there are several private sales on Autotrader with price range I am expecting. Not much on Ebay. But I will post on classified here first if I decide to sell. Thanks.

I do enjoy driving it. Very much so. And I do agree with you totally, jettie1767.

1sWt2GS, I teach.

I did thought of that, but at this point in time, 1 older car with more fuel efficient is a better fit.

Problem is, I never kept any car for too long. Most was 4 years.
What do you teach?
Old 03-18-13, 06:57 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I agree with this as well, who cares what others think, I drive a better car than my boss at work although i understand where your coming from as I always try to hide from him when we leave so he does see what I drive. Still I drive my car can't choose a beater since I only have this an a X5 for winter. Enjoy what you have make compromises for your happiness
Old 03-18-13, 07:09 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I've learned that it doesn't matter what others think also. I'm 22 and get slack for owning such a nice car but I know I worked hard for it so it doesn't matter to me anymore. It is unnerving parking in sketchy locations sometimes but I just say a little prayer and lock it up. As the "wise" Drake says, YOLO lol. Life is too short to have other people's actions dictate how you enjoy your life.
Old 03-18-13, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

And as nice a car as it is, it is just a car. If you don't drive it places and park it places and enjoy it, what's the point in having it?
Old 03-18-13, 09:31 PM
mush
Pole Position

u dont have to drive it all the time to enjoy it, i drive mine 1-2 times a week. getting in and driving it makes it feel special to me

Quick Reply: Hard to sell a 50k GS privately?