GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hard to sell a 50k GS privately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 09:04 AM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hard to sell a 50k GS privately?

Hi guys,

Lately I have considered selling my GS F-Sport. When I got it, it was for weekend/pleasure drives since I was commuting in my Prius, and because the GS has the packages and color combo I couldn't pass up. Unfortunately I no longer has my Prius to commute, so lately I've been driving the GS everyday to work, where parking is tough and people are looking and giving me more attention than I would like So, my thougth now is to sell my flawless GS and get something older and less classy. The car is just too nice for me now but I might buy another GS or LS in the future.

My concern is dealers will not give me a good trade-in price so I will want to sell the GS myself as I own the car outright. But I would immaging it would not be easy to find potential 4G GS owners who has 50k cash to purchase the car from me, wouldn't it? I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-13, 09:44 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sprtent
Hi guys,

Lately I have considered selling my GS F-Sport. When I got it, it was for weekend/pleasure drives since I was commuting in my Prius, and because the GS has the packages and color combo I couldn't pass up. Unfortunately I no longer has my Prius to commute, so lately I've been driving the GS everyday to work, where parking is tough and people are looking and giving me more attention than I would like So, my thougth now is to sell my flawless GS and get something older and less classy. The car is just too nice for me now but I might buy another GS or LS in the future.

My concern is dealers will not give me a good trade-in price so I will want to sell the GS myself as I own the car outright. But I would immaging it would not be easy to find potential 4G GS owners who has 50k cash to purchase the car from me, wouldn't it? I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks.
You can see what others are selling/buying them for and make the call. No matter what, you are gonna take capial loss. Maybe consider keeping it? The novelty will eventually wear off.
Old 03-18-13, 11:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I too would keep it. If you enjoy driving it, who cares if people look at you funny.
Old 03-18-13, 11:44 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

1. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.

2. I no longer has my Prius to commute

3. people are looking and giving me more attention than I would like

4. sell my flawless GS and get something older and less classy. The car is just too nice for me now

5. I might buy another GS or LS in the future.
Fascinating post. Sorry I can't help you in selling your GS: I wish you luck and hope you get a bundle!

I would like to ask about your post, though. Based on a theory of mine, I rearranged several of your points in (possible) order of significance to your decision to sell the GS. Could you elaborate a bit on why your Prius was fine, but your GS is "getting looks?" Also, if your GS is inappropriately "too nice" NOW, what will change such that you can enjoy it (or an LS) in the future? Thanks for any info you can share. Fascinating...
Old 03-18-13, 11:51 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I think you should keep it. it's a great car and who really cares what others think, if your tight for money and that's the reason, to basically have a little more money than yes it will be hard to sell your car for that price. I just went through this process, and I struggled to find someone that would pay the money I needed for my 3GS. It will take some time, I think to sell it but it will be sold just don't expect a fast sell. Good luck on whatever you choose, post in the classified section.
Old 03-18-13, 11:53 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

people are always searching for cars.

especially with your package and color combo it should sell.

another option for them is to finance with the bank.
Old 03-18-13, 12:03 PM
Dryrunner
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, it will be impossible. So maybe I'll trade you straight up for some baseball cards and comic magazines.
Old 03-18-13, 12:22 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by williakz
Fascinating post. Sorry I can't help you in selling your GS: I wish you luck and hope you get a bundle!

I would like to ask about your post, though. Based on a theory of mine, I rearranged several of your points in (possible) order of significance to your decision to sell the GS. Could you elaborate a bit on why your Prius was fine, but your GS is "getting looks?" Also, if your GS is inappropriately "too nice" NOW, what will change such that you can enjoy it (or an LS) in the future? Thanks for any info you can share. Fascinating...
Let just say in my line of work, I shouldn't be seen in such nice of a car. The Prius was great. Even though the Prius wasn't cheap, but people understood I was driving it to save gas and being green. Maybe my future situation this nice of a car will be more appropriate. Maybe a better solution is for me to get another car for commuting. Maybe my planning is messed up
Old 03-18-13, 12:32 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Thanks, guys, for giving me some insights both ways. Of course it will sell, it's just the matter of how much I am willing to part for it. I supposed my worry is more on payment methods and their legitimacy. Well, I just have to use common sense and be extra careful
Old 03-18-13, 12:33 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try listing it on Autotrader or ebay and see what happens. You will take a hit but some people only like to buy a 'new' used car and so they don't take the depreciation hit (sorry you have to). People can get a loan so they don;t need $50K in cash.
Old 03-18-13, 12:33 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Dryrunner
Yes, it will be impossible. So maybe I'll trade you straight up for some baseball cards and comic magazines.
Will the comic magazines be adult at least?
Old 03-18-13, 12:36 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let just say in my line of work, I shouldn't be seen in such nice of a car. The Prius was great. Even though the Prius wasn't cheap, but people understood I was driving it to save gas and being green. Maybe my future situation this nice of a car will be more appropriate. Maybe a better solution is for me to get another car for commuting. Maybe my planning is messed up
Why would it matter what other people say or how they look at you? If you like the car and can afford it, keep it. If you can legitimately pay for the car and can afford the car, why would it be seen negatively by the people you work with? Everyone makes choices and it isn't your fault if you like the GS and can afford it. Enjoy it and don't worry about what other people think or say!
Old 03-18-13, 12:47 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

What exactly do you do in your line of work
Old 03-18-13, 01:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I can't speak to what you do for a living, but I would take $5k and get an inexpensive commuter car before I did away with my GS completely for something else.
Old 03-18-13, 01:32 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you keep cars long term, just keep the GS. It's well built, and could likely go 150k+ miles with minimal issues. It's also still under warranty, which is nice. Lexus pays to fix it, plus you get a loaner.

Quick Reply: Hard to sell a 50k GS privately?