GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS gets ES Response...Ever Happen To You?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 08:14 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GS gets ES Response...Ever Happen To You?

I've noticed on more than a few occasions, when telling someone we bought a new Lexus, saying it's the new 2013 GS (even mentioning F Sport) there's the assumption by the other person after further discussion they're thinking its the ES. It's obvious they don't know the Lexus line up well, but why are they automatically assuming the GS is the ES? It seems most folks are aware of the "little Lexus" the IS, the mid-sized Lexus" the ES, the "big Lexus", the LS. After explaining the differences, and even after some recall the GS, they think the price between the ES and GS would be minimal. Curious if anyone else has run across this?

Last edited by 052SI; 03-19-13 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-19-13, 08:33 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 052SI
I've noticed on more than a few occasions, when telling someone we bought a new Lexus, saying it's the new 2013 GS (even mentioning F Sport) there's the assumption by the other person after further discussion they're thinking its the ES. It's obvious they don't know the Lexus line up well, but why are they automatically assuming the GS is the ES? It seems most folks are aware of the "little Lexus" the IS, the mid-sized Lexus" the ES, the "big Lexus", the LS. After explaining the differences, and even after some recall the GS, they think the price between the ES and GS would be minimal. Curious if anyone else has run across this?
people hear more and see the ES alot more than they hear about or see the GS... even though i see the GS almost everyday. not the 2013, but the GS400, GS300, GS460, GS430. i might see a few 3rd gen GS350s but i see the latter alot more. you see the ES at every corner damn near (atleast here in N.Y.) i had a 2011 SGM ES and this guy said to me "nice LS". just goes to show you alot of people just get in and drive. i bet most people don't even know how much HP and or torque is in the car they're driving, or what type of headlights or wiper blades they need in case they go bad. most will say "it's just a car, just a machine"... and they're right but IMO there's alot more to it.
Old 03-19-13, 08:38 PM
LexFather

Haven't gotten it b/c everyone knows I drive some sort of GS lol....hasn't happened yet.....the 3GS or even 2GS I got the "altima" or "maxima" thing a couple times and now they can't type on the internet anymore J/K
Old 03-19-13, 08:42 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Good points. I guess Lexus must have marketed the crap out of the ES in the past compd to the GS too. Seems people relate Lexus to MBs three common models C,E and S class and must think 3 is all there is, with the ES competing with the E (until they check the price) lol
I've been seeing a lot more of the new ES's on the road lately and once in a while I think they are the GS looking at the front/LEDs from afar.

Last edited by 052SI; 03-19-13 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-19-13, 10:16 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Lots of family resemblance. What's funny is that when the ES and GS were first introduced, some in the forum said the ES had better styling. Just goes to show you that the average person can't tell the difference. I think the new ES is an attractive car, so I'd just consider it a compliment.
Old 03-19-13, 10:24 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a GS fan but if I can make the mistake, I'm sure the average people will make the mistake easily. From far away, the front end looks very similiar.

I love the ES styling...but it's wearing off a bit already (maybe because I'm loving my GS more and More).
Old 03-19-13, 10:48 PM
052SI
Pole Position

When I am able to finally show the car to some of the same people I mentioned earlier, they realize it's not the car they were thinking it was (the ES) but short of that the assumption was we bought the ES seemingly not knowing of the GS at all.
Old 03-20-13, 05:29 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the problem with alphanumeric names. They are specifically designed to direct attention away from the model and to the make (brand). If the brand is known for rebadged Avalons and Highlanders, well, that's what people will instantly associate with all of the brand's vehicles using this scheme.
Old 03-20-13, 07:00 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

People that know there cars know the difference between an ES and a GS. I have only experienced this once but it was with an older gentleman who saw my car while I was cleaning it. Sorry but the Mercedes E, S and C all look the same, small variations but mostly the same. BMW is the same the 5, 6, 7. The 7Series looks very similar to the 5 series. interior and exterior. I wouldn't sweat it, half those people that ask either don't know about cars or wish they had your car.
Old 03-20-13, 07:05 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just tell that person to sit in and look around in a GS and if that's not enough for some reason, drive one.
Old 03-20-13, 08:06 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
People that know there cars know the difference between an ES and a GS. I have only experienced this once but it was with an older gentleman who saw my car while I was cleaning it. Sorry but the Mercedes E, S and C all look the same, small variations but mostly the same. BMW is the same the 5, 6, 7. The 7Series looks very similar to the 5 series. interior and exterior. I wouldn't sweat it, half those people that ask either don't know about cars or wish they had your car.
I was eating at a restaurant the other day... I caught this guy in his LS slowly circling (yes, circling) around my car, backed up then parked next to her. I really don't care what people think I drive. Regardless what it is, it is a great sexy car in lots of people's eyes even when they thought it were an IS. Now it's even harder for them to tell what mine is.

Originally Posted by sam430
I'm a GS fan but if I can make the mistake, I'm sure the average people will make the mistake easily. From far away, the front end looks very similiar.

Originally Posted by sam430
I love the ES styling...but it's wearing off a bit already (maybe because I'm loving my GS more and More).
I think that will fade away sooner than you know it... The more you look at (and drive) the ES, the more a lot more you appreciate the GS. IMO the money difference is way worth the step up.
Old 03-20-13, 08:25 AM
mush
Pole Position

At first the es looked really good but everytime i look at it it looks more round. Dont really like that
Old 03-20-13, 03:44 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

I have gotten it before to. On top of it, I get the usual, "it's a Camry with a different badge". I usually just ignore it and move on, no point in discussing such things with people who don't know crap about cars.
Old 03-20-13, 04:22 PM
LexFather

I was at a huge Lexus dealer today and walking around I have to say I wasn't a big fan of the front ends looking so similar....its like I got to remove all my posts about German cars in the past doing that

Even the SUVs....I mean I understand a corporate face but damn I can see how people can confuse them....

I guess time for a Lambo..won't confuse that
Old 03-20-13, 05:16 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I was at a huge Lexus dealer today and walking around I have to say I wasn't a big fan of the front ends looking so similar....its like I got to remove all my posts about German cars in the past doing that

Even the SUVs....I mean I understand a corporate face but damn I can see how people can confuse them....

I guess time for a Lambo..won't confuse that
When driving on the highway at first glance I can't tell the difference between the ES and GS.

You can prob get a good deal on this Lambo - http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...153007854.html

I borrowed my mom's LS460 one day, and everyone kept looking at me. (for the record I look like i'm in my last teens early 20s, i'm 28) One guy in a 7 series BMW asked if it was my car, I relied "of course, it awesome much better then your 7 bimmer" a walked away. Its no one business what I drive or my age.

Last edited by puckhead85; 03-20-13 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: GS gets ES Response...Ever Happen To You?