GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Will the GS Morph into the SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 11:16 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will the GS Morph into the SC

With a supercharged V6 (380 hp) and a 4.6 l. V8 (565 hp) being stuffed into the Crown version of the GS in Japan, is Lexus developing a SC version for North America with these motors in the engine bay? Heck, if I were a Lexus marketing guy I would be talking to my engineers about popping these motors into the GS!
Old 03-23-13, 02:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The Crown is not simply a version of the GS...
Old 03-23-13, 04:14 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

No from what I heard they are planning to make a is coupe as the sc or that Lf-cc
Old 03-23-13, 06:46 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cc is going to be about $100k
Old 03-23-13, 06:56 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Last I heard is that the CC may even be above $150k. It was in the March or April issue of one of my car magazines that they may go hybrid performance powertrain I believe. Let me find it to make sure I'm not blowing smoke
Old 03-23-13, 08:01 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Could very well be but that would place it priced well above the SL, XK/R and 650, unless Lexus wants a real niche car that would be a mistake as they'd take a good piece of market share away from the aforementioned cars if it's priced at par.
Old 03-23-13, 08:57 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zicogold
With a supercharged V6 (380 hp) and a 4.6 l. V8 (565 hp) being stuffed into the Crown version of the GS in Japan, is Lexus developing a SC version for North America with these motors in the engine bay? Heck, if I were a Lexus marketing guy I would be talking to my engineers about popping these motors into the GS!
Ouch, please be more knowleadgeable before posting that statement! Seriously the CROWN is NOT a GS. No wonder why you are not on the boards much by the look of only 6 posts....
Old 03-24-13, 04:37 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

The Crown is not a GS.

However, the Crown is based off the GS platform so any engine that can fit into the Crown should easily be made to fit into the GS.

That fact actually should fill Lexus GS fans with excitement since a 380hp or 565hp GS is just a matter of the marketing heads in Lexus deciding whether those engines in a GS makes for a sound business model.
Old 03-24-13, 06:45 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by 052SI
Could very well be but that would place it priced well above the SL, XK/R and 650, unless Lexus wants a real niche car that would be a mistake as they'd take a good piece of market share away from the aforementioned cars if it's priced at par.
Yeah, I couldn't find anything confirming what I thought the price would be (might have been a dream). Everything I'm reading now says it slots slightly above the previous SC, but in the same market. I could swear there was an article stating that it would be a "reasonably priced" replacement (in terms of being the new halo car) for the LF-A, and suggested it would be positioning around $150K.
Old 03-24-13, 08:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Ouch, please be more knowleadgeable before posting that statement! Seriously the CROWN is NOT a GS. No wonder why you are not on the boards much by the look of only 6 posts....
Lil' harsh.

People aren't born with this knowledge, you have to start somewhere. The guy is a new member...maybe instead of calling him an idiot you should welcome him and correct what information he's posted thats wrong.
Old 03-24-13, 11:26 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

The Crown Athlete may not be the GS but if the Athlete is going to have to cope with 565 hp, there will have to be some engineering under the sheet metal to keep this car on the road. And yes as Natnut so eloquently pointed out, both cars are based on the same platform. So the question is will Lexus consider boosting the horses on the GS?

Rexus300 you are a bit sensitive about the Lexus brand and so apologies. However even the chairman of Toyota only recently considered Lexus a brand, he previously thought is was revenue channel.

I personally think Lexus will need not one or two performance volume cars in their product range but also a true successor to the LFA to develop and mature the brand. Today's luxury car brands are not our fathers or grandfathers luxury brands. The performance aspect must truly be woven into a modern luxury car brand.
Old 03-24-13, 11:31 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Crown Athlete may not be the GS but if the Athlete is going to have to cope with 565 hp, there will have to be some engineering under the sheet metal to keep this car on the road. And yes as Natnut so eloquently pointed out, both cars are based on the same platform. So the question is will Lexus consider boosting the horses on the GS?

Rexus300 you are a bit sensitive about the Lexus brand and so apologies. However even the chairman of Toyota only recently considered Lexus a brand, he previously thought is was revenue channel.

I personally think Lexus will need not one or two performance volume cars in their product range but also a true successor to the LFA to develop and mature the brand. Today's luxury car brands are not our fathers or grandfathers luxury brands. The performance aspect must truly be woven into a modern luxury car brand.
I am quite sensitive so my apologies too if I came out strong. I just want the GS to succeed in its own terms and not be compared to any other Toyota or Lexus ES. I agree with you that Lexus needs to get their *** up and put some more powerful engines in their cars now. They fail to get pass the German's in terms of the torques and the larger displacement for few years or more. I hope to see a 360+ HP engine for the GS350 next year.
Old 03-24-13, 11:42 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

The new Acura RLX will have a sport model with 380 hp, so Lexus will almost certainly respond. I just hope Lexus can do it without dropping in a supercharger, superchargers are for Brits and hot-rodders.
Old 03-24-13, 12:13 PM
mehran888
Advanced

The new Acura RLX will have a sport model with 380 hp, so Lexus will almost certainly respond. I just hope Lexus can do it without dropping in a supercharger, superchargers are for Brits and hot-rodders.
You're not alone in that wish.
Old 03-24-13, 07:19 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mehran888
Yeah, I couldn't find anything confirming what I thought the price would be (might have been a dream). Everything I'm reading now says it slots slightly above the previous SC, but in the same market. I could swear there was an article stating that it would be a "reasonably priced" replacement (in terms of being the new halo car) for the LF-A, and suggested it would be positioning around $150K.
Not doubting ya Mehrah...just saying a 6series, SL, XK fighter would be a highly profitable/higher volume car vs one for $150k+. Either way it should sweet.

Last edited by 052SI; 03-24-13 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Will the GS Morph into the SC