GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Issues with Dealer Related Damage and Lexus Corporate

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 06:03 AM
Igor911
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues with Dealer Related Damage and Lexus Corporate

So the past month or so I’ve been fighting a battle that seems to be going nowhere between myself, the servicing dealer(s) and Lexus Corporate. My general consensus of this post is to obtain any help or guidance from fellow members that have experienced similar concerns or could offer some valuable feedback and advice.

To give everyone a little background, I had originally wanted to special order my car due to some of the options not being available on any in-state, in-stock units. However, to my surprise, my dealer of choice, Lexus of Towson in Baltimore, MD, was able to perform a dealer locate and find the exact car I was looking for. Long story short, I agreed to pay $1,800.00 additional to have the car trucked in from over 800 miles away. When the dealer notified me a few days later that my car had arrived, I had taken delivery at the end of Oct. 2012. During the delivery process and walk-through, I had noticed some light surface scratches on the front bottom right-side of the bumper…which looked to be rub marks from truck straps. To my surprise, the dealer’s detail shop was able to successfully remove these marks before taking delivery that night.

About a week after I brought the car home, I started to notice issues with the car and more specifically, the passenger side, side-view mirror. Upon closing the passenger door, I would hear a very loud and un-pleasant vibration/rattling sound coming from the mirror assembly. Upon further investigation, I noticed that the mirror assembly was a little loose itself and perhaps, thus why it was causing this strange noise. Not too concerned, I phoned my local Lexus Service department and scheduled an appointment to have it looked at. Upon dropping the vehicle off, I demonstrated the issue to the service advisor and mentioned that the drivers-side does not make this type of noise when closing the door. To my surprise later that day, I received a call from the service advisor instructing me that the technician found a hair line fracture in the mirror base…and that I had caused that damage. Being completely stunned at the situation, I had immediately rebutted and stated that I have never made any type of damages to my car, and that this was possibly caused during shipment. Sure enough, later on that same day the service advisor had phoned me to acknowledge that Lexus would take care of the part and have it replaced. Good!

Moving ahead, when I go to pick up my car, I notice that the mirror assembly was not making any more noise! However, after a few days of driving the car around, I noticed the sounds appearing once again! Once again, I make an appointment to bring the car back to have it looked at yet again. This time around, the service manager states that the “mirror is operating as designed” even though my loaner GS, nor the GS in the showroom makes this type of noise. (Interesting?) Then, the manager goes on to say that since I have had my windows tinted professionally, the tint shop had to of taken my door panels apart because the technician noticed that the panels have had been off before? This was shocking news to me as I was watching my tint installer apply the film WITH OUT taking anything apart in my brand new car! Long story short, the manager had scratched his head and said he was unsure as to what else they can do and mentioned that he doesn’t know at this time and they’ll take another look at my 5000 mile service. Additionally, I had noticed that during the repair of the mirror assembly (which involved taking apart the door panel in question), the technician/shop had damaged the aluminum trim on my door by causing several dings in the panel.

Long story short, at my 5000 mile service, I mention the issues with the mirror assembly once again and the damaged caused by their sister shop…this time at the dealer where I bought the car. (same owner as other dealer) The dealer was able to duplicate the noise but also claimed that 1 other GS on their lot makes the same noise so they don’t find it being an issue and had denied to replace the trim on my door since it was caused by the “window tinter”?

As pissed as I was, I called Lexus Corp. to let them know of the situation at hand. To my surprise, Lexus is denying to replace the panel trim since it “voids my warranty due to aftermarket modification and application of window tint” and that the panel (according to the dealer) was damaged by the window tinter…which is false and strictly the assumptions of the service manager. After days and days of calling back and forth with corporate, they are willing to give me a $100 service credit for the future, but are still denying to replace my trim or to further investigate my mirror concerns. However, I denied the $100 gesture and am still pressing the panel be replaced and someone to look at my car.

As it stands, I am awaiting a call back from a supervisor in corporate…

Sorry for the long rant but thanks in advance for everyone’s responses; I look forward to receiving them!
Old 03-27-13, 06:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

My passenger mirror makes the same noise sometimes when closing the door, for whatever that's worth. I haven't brought it up to the dealer because its only sometimes and I'm afraid they'll screw the door or the panel all up trying to fix it.

You're In a bad spot, its your word against the dealers word about the trim...
Old 03-27-13, 06:50 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting, all this time I thought that my rain visors were making that noise, so my guess is I have the same problem with my passenger mirror......
Old 03-27-13, 07:07 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Several years ago I had a similar situation with the local Lexus dealer regarding a valid warranty claim. The dealer denied it, Lexus Corporate would NOT step up and help in any way. After dealing with Corporate for over a month they sent me a letter saying they would not intervene and that the matter would have to be handled by the dealer. I filed for arbitration under the warranty terms, and before it went to arbitration, the owner of the dealership called me and told me he would personally pay for the repairs out of his own pocket. I have never been back to that dealer because of the shoddy treatment I received from them. I now buy my cars from another dealer in a nearby city who is owned by the same owner who stepped up, but whose service has been excellent. Dealing with Lexus Corporate has been a complete disappointment in my experience.
Old 03-27-13, 07:15 AM
Igor911
Driver

Very interesting to hear others are having similiar noise issues from their mirror assembly as well. What really bothers me the most is how they are paving the way for how our relationship will be in the future. Myself being a brand new Lexus brand owner with only 5000 miles on my car, is really putting a sour taste on where to take my car for service in the future. By the dealers responding to and treating my issues with careless motions, really sways me for bringing it back there for service in the future.

I've owned 2 Infiniti's in the past and have NEVER had issues in the 5yrs of ownership. if anything, the dealer would always bend over backwards to address any issues or concerns...not once did I need to involve corporate. But, here I am buying a 62k MSRP car and having to deal with a hard time...especially over something as minor as dings on a panel trim.
Old 03-27-13, 07:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

First year problem.
With the GS being out over a year now,I'm surprised there aren't more first year issues.
My GS has been solid...so far.
Old 03-27-13, 07:30 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes I have had the same noise, I thought it was supposed to do that. Because the RX makes the same sound as well. I have never had an issue with Lexus Corp, they helped me when I needed my front headlight housing replaced for water leaks.
Old 03-28-13, 12:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Igor911
Very interesting to hear others are having similiar noise issues from their mirror assembly as well. What really bothers me the most is how they are paving the way for how our relationship will be in the future. Myself being a brand new Lexus brand owner with only 5000 miles on my car, is really putting a sour taste on where to take my car for service in the future. By the dealers responding to and treating my issues with careless motions, really sways me for bringing it back there for service in the future.

I've owned 2 Infiniti's in the past and have NEVER had issues in the 5yrs of ownership. if anything, the dealer would always bend over backwards to address any issues or concerns...not once did I need to involve corporate. But, here I am buying a 62k MSRP car and having to deal with a hard time...especially over something as minor as dings on a panel trim.
The dealers are all independently owned, and quality does vary. I don't have much experience with Towson or Len Stoler, but I use Lexus of Rockville for warranty stuff (I have an independent for maintenance) and they're great. I came to them years ago from Lexus of Silver Spring which was not great.

If I were you and it worries you, I would perhaps consider taking it to Lexus of Annapolis. A little out of your way, but I believe they do pick up/drop off within 50 miles. I bought my 03 ES there and was very satisfied. I'd use them now for service if they weren't so far away.
Old 03-28-13, 11:12 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my mirror makes a noise too when u close the door.

it sucks though they are using the tint as a scapegoat.
Old 03-29-13, 10:05 AM
Igor911
Driver

Bottom line is, as minor the issue may be...if non of us make an effort to communicate this type of flaw in our product line, corporate will not know.
Old 03-29-13, 10:44 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

So to be clear, this is an actual issue it's not suppose to do that. I'll get mine checked at 5K service.
Old 03-31-13, 01:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would say the mirror on a $60,000 car should not rattle when the door is closed...
Old 03-31-13, 03:33 PM
Igor911
Driver

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I would say the mirror on a $60,000 car should not rattle when the door is closed...
Exactly my point. I am still awaiting a call back from corporate as to when they can bring a regional tech rep to take a look at the issue.