GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Inner tie rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 07:42 AM
WolfSnap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by live2ski21
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem with the inner tie rod. I just bought a 2013 GS350 (AWD non F-Sport) and my inner tie rod was bent from a previous accident. The Lexus dealer was able to get it aligned close, but it's still off. To fix the problem, they said I need to replace the whole steering rack! Technician did not recommend driving it too long because of how bent the tie rod is. Does anyone know if any other inner tie rod would be compatible to use (other vehicle or aftermarket part)? Thanks
Why is your insurance not paying for the replacement tie-rod, no matter the price? Did I miss the part where insurance companies are legally responsible for putting your car back together the way it was pre-crash?
Old 02-12-20, 03:39 PM
BG916
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help asap.

Can someone please help and let me know where i can buy a inner tie rod for 2013 gs350 rwd base. Im not going to buy a whole new rack just because the inner tie rod is going out. If anyone found a inner tie rod from a different vehicle that is very similar to the gs i would really appreciate the info.
The following users liked this post:
panadaniel (10-08-21)
Old 02-12-20, 03:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by BG916
Can someone please help and let me know where i can buy a inner tie rod for 2013 gs350 rwd base. Im not going to buy a whole new rack just because the inner tie rod is going out. If anyone found a inner tie rod from a different vehicle that is very similar to the gs i would really appreciate the info.
A car junkyard should be able to take care of you.
Old 02-12-20, 03:47 PM
BG916
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
A car junkyard should be able to take care of you.
lol they tried to sell me the whole rack for $750
Old 02-12-20, 04:16 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BG916
lol they tried to sell me the whole rack for $750
Ugh, that's not good! Maybe try a couple more...
Old 02-12-20, 04:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Wow! This really surprises me, that the inner tie rod alone is not available from Lexus or any other source that I can find.

The more I look into it the inner tie rod alone is not a separately listed part. It appears that the inner tie rod only comes as part of the entire steering rack assembly So, that means either getting the entire steering rack assembly or finding only the inner tie rod at a junkyard. You're bound to find one sooner or later at a junkyard.

If I were you I'd try to find out from a Lexus technician if an inner tie rod from another vehicle was interchangeable with the 4GS 350. It would probably be best if you dropped by your Lexus dealership and asked the parts manager first which of the technicians would likely know the answer to your question...

Last edited by bclexus; 02-12-20 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-14-21, 08:53 AM
Rcrawf
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to revive the dead on this. Can you please advise what MDX part number you installed or if this was an inner for a 2wd or 4wd. I am in the same situation as so many others and do not want to spend 1K plus on an entire rack.

Thank you
Old 01-14-21, 09:52 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Unfortunately you are likely going to have to replace the entire rack. That MDX inner rod will only act as a band aid. I smacked a curb a while back and damaged the inner tie rod. I eventually had to replace the entire rack simply because I couldn't find a replacement inner rod. Lexus will not allow you to replace just the inner tie rod only. You must replace the entire rack. I know that's some discouraging news but that's how Lexus designed this car. After thorough research, I've learned that this is ONLY the case with the GS and the RC. Maybe its greed or maybe its something Lexus engineers knows about the steering mechanisms of these two models that we don't. That includes folks at your local Lexus dealership. Because they are absolutely clueless. Best of luck!
Old 10-28-21, 09:53 AM
panadaniel
Driver School Candidate

Default Tie rod lexus gs450h 2013

Originally Posted by repugnante
Unfortunately you are likely going to have to replace the entire rack. That MDX inner rod will only act as a band aid. I smacked a curb a while back and damaged the inner tie rod. I eventually had to replace the entire rack simply because I couldn't find a replacement inner rod. Lexus will not allow you to replace just the inner tie rod only. You must replace the entire rack. I know that's some discouraging news but that's how Lexus designed this car. After thorough research, I've learned that this is ONLY the case with the GS and the RC. Maybe its greed or maybe its something Lexus engineers knows about the steering mechanisms of these two models that we don't. That includes folks at your local Lexus dealership. Because they are absolutely clueless. Best of luck!

​​​​​​I have these steering heads and they work perfectly for the 2013 Lexus GS450H
Old 10-28-21, 10:37 AM
KennyZ
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by panadaniel

​​​​​​I have these steering heads and they work perfectly for the 2013 Lexus GS450H
I have the same problem on my 13 GS350 AWD. The inner tie rod is stuck. Can you provide the parts number of this one? Where do you find them? Thank you!
Old 10-28-21, 08:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

On my 13 ES350 U/L I hit a underwater curb. Drove completely over it in a parking lot. Bent a bunch of stuff, bent the wheel busted the tire. Took to Dealers to repair they fixed everything then could not get the nut off the tie rod. One nut on the drivers side? I went in the shop and asked them if they were kidding me because to resolve it they said I needed a whole new steering rack = $$$$.

At that point I just called my Insurance company. New wheel and everything else $4500 later. This thread reminds me of the same issues. Unbelievable Lexus?
Old 10-29-21, 06:26 AM
panadaniel
Driver School Candidate

Default inner tie rod

Originally Posted by KennyZ
I have the same problem on my 13 GS350 AWD. The inner tie rod is stuck. Can you provide the parts number of this one? Where do you find them? Thank you!
I don't have a part code, where are you from?
to see if I can send you
Old 10-29-21, 10:34 AM
KennyZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by panadaniel
I don't have a part code, where are you from?
to see if I can send you
Really appreciate! PM you.
Old 11-02-21, 08:11 AM
KennyZ
Rookie

After a bit of research, I found the aftermarket inner tie rod is available on Aliexpress. Price is about 10~30 bucks.
Old 12-31-21, 03:42 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyZ
After a bit of research, I found the aftermarket inner tie rod is available on Aliexpress. Price is about 10~30 bucks.

Do happen to have a link man? I could not find this at all.

Quick Reply: Inner tie rod