GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Inner tie rod

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-21, 10:09 AM
Saadq12
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Asav
Do happen to have a link man? I could not find this at all.
just did some Google fu as I was curious and found this https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...rod-4550330070

maybe this? Nvm those are not for 2013 GS350
Old 03-02-22, 10:21 AM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad I found this thread as I'm having this very issue as I'm not able to adjust the car's toe as the inner tie rods are seized and no amount of heat or grease is able to unseize them in order to adjust the toe. It's out pretty bad and Lexus is saying there is nothing they can do and my Lexus extended warranty won't cover seized items as they are saying the rack and pinion works fine. Lexus quoted me $6k to replace the rack and pinion which would install new inner tie rods that could be adjusted to fix the toe issue. I have contacted Lexus customer service to open a claim as this seems to be a design issue and has turned into a safety issue for me as the car will pull on higher speed and will wear out the front tires quicker. If anybody has anymore insight, ideas or thoughts on my conundrum, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-22, 08:32 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

This annoys me to no end. When I get a car the first thing I do is get stuff I need on hand in the garage,--> like the AWD front ball joints, air filters, spark plugs, brakes/rotors, tie rods, end links. I like to have that stuff already in pocket for down the road since I have the room to store it. I cannot see an inner tie rod being a lifetime item especially since I have had to change them on every vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 03-05-22, 11:22 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I understand your frustration. I was just as frustrated when I was searching for one. I highly doubt that part form Aliexpress will work. I learned that many sellers would advertise the inner tie rod for the 13-15 GS when they were actually for the 06-12 GS. The tie rods on both cars are different sizes. Not even one from a 14+ IS would work even though the tie rods for those models are readily available in abundance! I never understood it. Why Lexus would design the 13+ GS and the 15+ RC this way. I strongly feel like Lexus designed this rack specifically for those two models. Just my opinion.
Old 03-06-22, 05:12 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
I understand your frustration. I was just as frustrated when I was searching for one. I highly doubt that part form Aliexpress will work. I learned that many sellers would advertise the inner tie rod for the 13-15 GS when they were actually for the 06-12 GS. The tie rods on both cars are different sizes. Not even one from a 14+ IS would work even though the tie rods for those models are readily available in abundance! I never understood it. Why Lexus would design the 13+ GS and the 15+ RC this way. I strongly feel like Lexus designed this rack specifically for those two models. Just my opinion.
TBH my next thought was that maybe the 3rd gen IS tie rods would fit which you just confirmed is not possible. This sucks
Old 01-07-23, 02:20 PM
Lacari350
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
I was gonna say 2011 should work, I was looking into it and all the 2007-2011 IS and the GS is the same , and one thing abt Lexus is if they have no issues with a part they don't change it, they use for so many years.let us know good luck.

so you guys did it work ? I’m having the same exact issue with my 2013 GS 350 F sport , need inner rods , I found 2011 rods but haven’t bought em yet
Old 01-08-23, 06:26 AM
Lacari350
3rd Gear

Default 13 Lexus inner tie rods

I’m having same problem I have 2013 gs 350 and I can’t afford to buy whole rack , is there any other tire Rod I can get maybe from a different model or a Toyota ??
Old 01-09-23, 06:33 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Call me stupid but it's a pretty simple bit of kit - please correct me if I'm wrong but 14mm thread to the rack, ball joint and 15mm thread to the outer rod. The 3GS one is apparently a bit short so why aren't you all just buying a longer rod and cutting it to the perfect length? I'm clearly not a mechanic but it seems simple to me, I must be missing something! Just remember to leave a couple of nuts on the thread before you cut....change both sides to match if need be.

​​I don't know the length of the 4GS one. Apparently the 'installation length' of the 3GS one is 235mm and the 'full length' is 273mm. Why wouldn't 4550339066 which is 245mm and 280mm long work, from whatever the hell a Tacoma is? Part no 4550329836 off a Hi-Ace is 255mm and 295mm long if the other one is still too short. For the sake of $50 for a copy or $100 for the genuine Toyota item, wouldn't you try?
Or at least have your bad one taken off and take a measurement.....I get outer rods have fancy shapes but these seem straight .. how unique could it possibly be?

Originally Posted by Lacari350
I’m having same problem I have 2013 gs 350 and I can’t afford to buy whole rack , is there any other tire Rod I can get maybe from a different model or a Toyota ??
Dangerous game owning expensive cars made with expensive parts and not having the money to look after it.... they're reliable but if you don't leave these repairs to insurance you'll pay through the nose.

You have 2 choices, find something similar or buy a new rack. I've got you started....you could call up Toyota dealers and see if any near you have the two part numbers I mentioned in stock to get you rolling. If they do, have yours taken off by a mechanic for a day and take it in to see what's close....or just have them measure it and find the best match online, like I've attempted to do. If you have luck, let us know and we'll sticky it!

Last edited by Cwang; 01-09-23 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-26-23, 05:41 AM
CBeckNC
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Cwang
Call me stupid but it's a pretty simple bit of kit - please correct me if I'm wrong but 14mm thread to the rack, ball joint and 15mm thread to the outer rod. The 3GS one is apparently a bit short so why aren't you all just buying a longer rod and cutting it to the perfect length? I'm clearly not a mechanic but it seems simple to me, I must be missing something! Just remember to leave a couple of nuts on the thread before you cut....change both sides to match if need be.

​​I don't know the length of the 4GS one. Apparently the 'installation length' of the 3GS one is 235mm and the 'full length' is 273mm. Why wouldn't 4550339066 which is 245mm and 280mm long work, from whatever the hell a Tacoma is? Part no 4550329836 off a Hi-Ace is 255mm and 295mm long if the other one is still too short. For the sake of $50 for a copy or $100 for the genuine Toyota item, wouldn't you try?
Or at least have your bad one taken off and take a measurement.....I get outer rods have fancy shapes but these seem straight .. how unique could it possibly be?

Dangerous game owning expensive cars made with expensive parts and not having the money to look after it.... they're reliable but if you don't leave these repairs to insurance you'll pay through the nose.

You have 2 choices, find something similar or buy a new rack. I've got you started....you could call up Toyota dealers and see if any near you have the two part numbers I mentioned in stock to get you rolling. If they do, have yours taken off by a mechanic for a day and take it in to see what's close....or just have them measure it and find the best match online, like I've attempted to do. If you have luck, let us know and we'll sticky it!
I needed to find an inner tie rod for an RC F, and found this forum post was the closest and best info I found on it, so I wanted to share my success story.

I took measurements of the bent inner tie rod Using some copper wire along the center of the rod, then use calipers to measure the inner thread diameter and shaft thread diameter. I also used a thread pitch gauge to find those measurements too.

Afterward, I tried to find parts based on the measurements at a few local parts stores but they were all unwilling to let me try a few and insisted I need a part number, so back to the search.

I ended up finding the moog suspension site sells some inner tie rods by size, but none of them were close enough to the measurements, so I kept looking and found this site: https://size.name/en/catalog/rulevay...&thread_out=15

It gave me a part matching all the measurements and the longest rod length it could find, which still wasn't quite long enough, by about 10 mm or so short. So, I used the part to cross reference via more searches via the vehicle applications the part listed, plus the alternate parts it listed. The Lexus 200t seems to be the closest, and it had some other rc 300 or 350 maybe, which were the same part, but only a couple of years.

Here's a list of cross references that are all pretty much the same part, or close to it. I ended up going with the CTR branded part and it fit great.
CTR CRT-127 https://size.name/en/catalog/rulevay...45503-53010CTR CR0696 CTR [OE Supplier] CR0696 Front Inner Tie Rod End Compatible with Lexus IS200t 2017-2016, IS250 2015-2014, IS300 2019-2018, IS350 2019-2014 Lexus 4550353010beckarnley-101-7959CTR M3010526290CTRMevotech MS86752Dorman MAS TI64090

The slight shortness was a worry for me, so I kept searching and came across inner tie rod extensions. They're machined extensions made for off reading and drift cars to get extra length for raised vehicles, or... drifting I guess. So I ordered one of those as well, making a complete replacement for a grand total of 70 bucks!

Here is the extension (available vis the manufacturer or on summit racing)
All-Pro Off-Road Tie Rod Extensions AP-305496-PLD

keep in mind this was on a RC F though! I did find that the GS F was the same rack, so also the same inner tie rods, but even a salvage yard price for a rack shipped via freight was going to be 900 dollars!

Good luck. Hope this helps!
​​​​​​-​Calvin
Old 08-26-23, 04:28 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by CBeckNC
So I ordered one of those as well, making a complete replacement for a grand total of 70 bucks!
Nice work! Have you actually fitted it? You're essentially saying that the 2013+ IS350 inner tie rod is exactly the same except it's a little short?
I'm not mechanically knowledgeable, so bear with me! Are there any risks in using an extension piece? I guess once you've found it's perfect, you'd loctite it in?
keep in mind this was on a RC F though! I did find that the GS F was the same rack, so also the same inner tie rods, but even a salvage yard price for a rack shipped via freight was going to be 900 dollars!
The late model RCF and GSF racks are the same. They do have different part numbers to the racks on we slowpokes in the 3/450s, however the inner rod *looks* the same based on parts sketches.

I'm not sure whether a GS F rack would bolt onto a 350 ( just configured differently) or whether it's physically different. The early RC Fs also had a slightly different part no, again not sure whether that's just a setup/config thing.

Assuming you've fitted it and it's all good, it sounds like you may have a solution for all GS and RC owners. Are the inner rods different lengths or are they both the same?

​​​​​​

Last edited by Cwang; 08-26-23 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-26-23, 04:49 PM
CBeckNC
4th Gear

I have fitted it, but I was a bit vague on the combo... the inner tie rod works without the extension, but it was only threaded on by 4 threads, so I wasn't happy with that.... so I found the extension. If I use the extension on the 200t/350 tie rod, it's too long combined. I did some trimming on both, but it still wasn't where I wanted it to be, where it would be safe and have the right range of adjustments.

I just tried the extension today and it is pretty long, so I trimmed down the female threaded end by about half of its length and found i then need a bit more thread on the inboard side, so I went back to the part search site and found the LS460 from 07-17 is a good length, so I'm going to try that one, with the trimmed down extension once it comes in. I will post an update here later this week.

I imagine there's more than one way to do this, so I'm probably giving a lot of info, and no clear path or solution. Depending on the vehicle, I think a combo can be found to work for several of the vehicles in this same situation where the rack end / inner tie rod ends are not sold separately.

The goals I am keeping in mind are safety and adjustability (and obviously affordability). I want the wheel straight, with the outer tie rod + extension to sit in the middle of the threads on the rack end and have ideally more than the minimum of sort of a rule of thumb: threaded portion should be threaded onto by a length equal to the diameter of the threaded end, plus about 3 threads for strength purposes.
Old 08-26-23, 05:34 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

This guy on russian forum found a bolt on part with no modifications needed. https://www.drive2.ru/l/650925453246202582/
part is from a nissan pickup part name sr-n250
Old 08-26-23, 06:01 PM
CBeckNC
4th Gear

Originally Posted by fourgs
This guy on russian forum found a bolt on part with no modifications needed. https://www.drive2.ru/l/650925453246202582/
part is from a nissan pickup part name sr-n250
That might work for some, but not the RC F which has a 15mm outer threaded end. This Nissan part is 14mm. Thanks for the mention though. Interesting that Nissan parts are close.
Old 08-26-23, 07:50 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Why did you need to replace? What happened?
Old 08-27-23, 02:15 AM
Cwang
Instructor

That might work for some, but not the RC F which has a 15mm outer threaded end. This Nissan part is 14mm. Thanks for the mention though. Interesting that Nissan parts are close.
Hmm, does that mean that the 350 has the 14mm rod and the F gets the 15mm rod? Makes sense because the outer tie rods are completely different, the RCF and GS350 AWD rack has the tie rod end built into the outer rod, the 350 RWD rack has them as seperate items. IE they're not an identical setup.

So the SRN250 should be for the AWD GS/RC 2/3/450s? That makes the Nissan OEM part number for the AWD inner tie rod D8E21EB70A? Would love for someone to check my math.

Absolutely zero use to me as we only got the RWD 350s in Australia haha (that and I don't need one). I wonder whether it's still the same inner rod, for $100 and a few hundred labour you'd give it a go.

Quick Reply: Inner tie rod