GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I now have pwr trunk & mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-13, 12:34 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have Pre-Collision System (PCS) or Advanced Pre-Collision System (APCS) on your new LS? I have the PCS on my 2013 LS, and it has "tripped" on me three times indicated by the instrument panel display area flashing orange along with a beeping tone until the impending "collision" goes away. Each time the system has gone off, I have been in the midst of a somewhat dicey traffic move. Lane changes where you have to get VERY close to the car ahead of you before you zip over into an open slot will likely trip the system. Also, rapidly approaching a vehicle which you EXPECT to move out of the way (i.e. same direction left turner on two-lane highway waiting for oncoming traffic to clear) will set off the collision detection software.

I'm convinced that, had I had APCS in my vehicle, the system definitely would have intervened during my "moves" possibly causing disaster. As long as I can avoid it, I will NOT have APCS in any car I own.
Old 03-31-13, 01:35 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride! Gosh, just yesterday I was reading about your recent issues servicing your GS...

I don't want to say too much here and run the the risk of being run out of the GS forum, but as a 3rd gen alum, I hope I won't be

They are very different cars for sure, and the GS is a heck of a lot more fun (I had the opportunity to drive one as a loaner, and as expected, it's quite an improvement over the 3rd gen in every way). I agree with you about the quiet interior and about the general feeling of wanting to cruise.

I will say, though, that when driving the LS, I do want to go fast. I love the V8 and smooth power delivery that comes via the 8-speed tranny and find myself pushing it just to feel the power and hear the tenuous V8 grunt in the background. It's no GS in terms of handling, but I find that setting my shocks to Sport helps, especially when my 19" wheels are on.

Enjoy the ride! I also must echo all your points regarding Obsidian... Had one of those and still have a Black Onyx to deal with for the foreseeable future.
Old 03-31-13, 01:35 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Do you have Pre-Collision System (PCS) or Advanced Pre-Collision System (APCS) on your new LS? I have the PCS on my 2013 LS, and it has "tripped" on me three times indicated by the instrument panel display area flashing orange along with a beeping tone until the impending "collision" goes away. Each time the system has gone off, I have been in the midst of a somewhat dicey traffic move. Lane changes where you have to get VERY close to the car ahead of you before you zip over into an open slot will likely trip the system. Also, rapidly approaching a vehicle which you EXPECT to move out of the way (i.e. same direction left turner on two-lane highway waiting for oncoming traffic to clear) will set off the collision detection software.

I'm convinced that, had I had APCS in my vehicle, the system definitely would have intervened during my "moves" possibly causing disaster. As long as I can avoid it, I will NOT have APCS in any car I own.
i kept it simple this time. a few months ago i almost chose the same options you have in your 2013 LS. my GS F Sport was fully loaded. the PCS in my car was not engaged and it stopped twice while i was changing lanes... i mean just stopped. my kids were in the car the second time so i said "oh hell no". i could have gotten smacked by the car in the lane i was changing from and the car in the lane that i was switching to. Lexus could not figure out why it happened, i felt no seatbelt tension while this was happening, so WTF. Lexus has the car now and i have the modestly optioned 2013 LS. that PCS is dangerous, and it's an option that i will never need, i don't drive while i'm tired and i pay attention to everything so i won't miss that option.
Old 03-31-13, 01:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Congrats syd! Gotta scratch that itch when you get it.

Hang around here, the 4GS forum is cooler than the LS460 forum
Old 03-31-13, 01:57 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i kept it simple this time. a few months ago i almost chose the same options you have in your 2013 LS. my GS F Sport was fully loaded. the PCS in my car was not engaged and it stopped twice while i was changing lanes... i mean just stopped. my kids were in the car the second time so i said "oh hell no". i could have gotten smacked by the car in the lane i was changing from and the car in the lane that i was switching to. Lexus could not figure out why it happened, i felt no seatbelt tension while this was happening, so WTF. Lexus has the car now and i have the modestly optioned 2013 LS. that PCS is dangerous, and it's an option that i will never need, i don't drive while i'm tired and i pay attention to everything so i won't miss that option.
so much for making technolgoy that makes us safer....
I'm now a little worried as I ordered the PCS on my GS...
Enjoy your new LS, its awesome car and glad the dealer took car of it. Wonder what will happen to the GS, I hope lexus doesn't try to sell it
Old 03-31-13, 02:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They'll definitely sell it...

If it was done as a manufacturer buyback it will reflect that on the title, but one way or another it will be sold.
Old 03-31-13, 02:14 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Awesome!

Not only do you now have power mirrors and trunk but true cooled seats and darn comfortable ones at that.

I really enjoyed your posts and threads here; hoping you'll stay around.

Congrats and many miles of smiles to ya...
Old 03-31-13, 02:16 PM
bigblack06
Forum Moderator

Received 327 Likes on 224 Posts

Congrats, I think we all saw this coming.
Old 03-31-13, 02:30 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Congrats....it looks awesome...
Old 03-31-13, 02:48 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caha14
Congratulations on the new ride! Gosh, just yesterday I was reading about your recent issues servicing your GS...

I don't want to say too much here and run the the risk of being run out of the GS forum, but as a 3rd gen alum, I hope I won't be

They are very different cars for sure, and the GS is a heck of a lot more fun (I had the opportunity to drive one as a loaner, and as expected, it's quite an improvement over the 3rd gen in every way). I agree with you about the quiet interior and about the general feeling of wanting to cruise.

I will say, though, that when driving the LS, I do want to go fast. I love the V8 and smooth power delivery that comes via the 8-speed tranny and find myself pushing it just to feel the power and hear the tenuous V8 grunt in the background. It's no GS in terms of handling, but I find that setting my shocks to Sport helps, especially when my 19" wheels are on.

Enjoy the ride! I also must echo all your points regarding Obsidian... Had one of those and still have a Black Onyx to deal with for the foreseeable future.
thanx caha, GS F Sport = Sporty, LS = Pure Luxury. the smoothness of that V8 is amazing, i barely hear the growl because of how well they insulated this car. i opened her up a little today. amazingly smooth acceleration, she's pretty fast for a 4K + pound car. it doesn't drive heavy strange.

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Congrats syd! Gotta scratch that itch when you get it.

Hang around here, the 4GS forum is cooler than the LS460 forum
thanx SW, that itch was crazy. every time i went back to Lexus for issues with the GS the itch got worse . the only time i'll leave this forum is if they pry it out of my cold dead fingers .

Originally Posted by puckhead85
so much for making technolgoy that makes us safer....
I'm now a little worried as I ordered the PCS on my GS...
Enjoy your new LS, its awesome car and glad the dealer took car of it. Wonder what will happen to the GS, I hope lexus doesn't try to sell it
so far 2 GS owners (including me) and 1 LS owner have had issues with the PCS system. not for nothing but just because we had issues with it doesn't mean you're going to have issues.

They'll definitely sell it...

If it was done as a manufacturer buyback it will reflect that on the title, but one way or another it will be sold.
the GM said he is going to take the car for himself, after the issues are resolved with the PCS. he said the car looked like a mirror. he looked the car over before i jumped into the LS and said "is it dust repellent"? there's little to no dust on this car, so i told him about the coatings. it's strange that they ask what 22PLE is, what HB is, what is Opti-coat? you think they would know, but a lot of them don't. strange.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 03-31-13 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-31-13, 03:02 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Phil wants me to bring the car in on Tues. so he can do a new car prep, and opti-coat on everything. i've had the car since Fri. early evening, i washed her yesterday morning, sonax wheel cleaner, the works. today the brake dust is like "WHOA", where did all that come from.
Old 03-31-13, 03:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You're going to do opti-coat instead of the 22PLE on this one?
Old 03-31-13, 03:34 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 052SI
Awesome!

Not only do you now have power mirrors and trunk but true cooled seats and darn comfortable ones at that.

I really enjoyed your posts and threads here; hoping you'll stay around.

Congrats and many miles of smiles to ya...
don't forget the V8 engine and the heated rear seats. i can set the turn signal cliks from the nav screen via vehicle customization option.

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Congrats, I think we all saw this coming.
i didn't......

Originally Posted by e39ng
Congrats....it looks awesome...
thanx ng...

You're going to do opti-coat instead of the 22PLE on this one?
yes sir, OC2.0... damn you SW, now you have me wondering if i should do the 22PLE instead... thanx a lot buddy. i'm still leaning towards the OC2.0.
Old 03-31-13, 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Haha! I'm debating doing one of these coatings this spring. I'm really going to do a heavy detail here in the next couple weeks now that the weather has turned, I hate buying cars in the winter...
Old 03-31-13, 04:02 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Haha! I'm debating doing one of these coatings this spring. I'm really going to do a heavy detail here in the next couple weeks now that the weather has turned, I hate buying cars in the winter...
OC is a great coating. 22Ple is also good, if you want to continue to wax your car. with OC there is no need to wax because nothing is really going to stick to the OC long enough anyway. 22PLE is different, you can wax and it will stick. 22PLE + Sonax Polymer Net Shield. OC and nada. OC continues to cure for 3 months.

Quick Reply: I now have pwr trunk & mirrors