GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why is 15k service so expensive for 2013 GS350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 06:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
$240 is nothing to me for servicing. Sorry. Its not that expensive. I would say 350 or more is too much.
Bear in mind that's $240 for a tire rotation and a visual inspection. No oil change.

That's what my dealer used to charge for a 5k service which at least included an oil change.

If you think that's an acceptable value for maybe 30 minutes of work, and no parts, then you're the consumer Lexus is looking for.
Old 04-01-13, 06:35 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The way I am driving....

.... (a little over 2400 miles since purchased new in March 2012) I will probably never have to pay for the 15K service
Old 04-01-13, 06:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
.... (a little over 2400 miles since purchased new in March 2012) I will probably never have to pay for the 15K service

You still should change the oil yearly.
Old 04-01-13, 06:39 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Yeah you should change the oil yearly. Also I don't think you need to pay for the full check I think those checks really count when the car has 60k-80k on the odometer. I would just get your tires rotated and keep on going.
Old 04-01-13, 07:46 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tire rotation is really not necessary unless you show abnormal wear on the front vs. the rear tires. If you feel it is necessary, take it to Discount Tire where they will do for free if you have ever been a customer. I drove BMW's for several years and they don't recommend tire rotation at all unless there is some kind of abnormal wear. Oil changes at my Toyota dealer are about half of what the Lexus dealer charges, and it is the same oil and the same filter at both dealerships. The coffee isn't as good at the Toyota dealership though.
Old 04-01-13, 07:49 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Yeah you should change the oil yearly. Also I don't think you need to pay for the full check I think those checks really count when the car has 60k-80k on the odometer. I would just get your tires rotated and keep on going.
Yup, just had the oil done and the tires rotated for the heck of it. The dealer's service rep said the next service, 10k, would be free including oil change.
Old 04-01-13, 08:50 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
...I do my own oil changes...
Do you have an opinion on the Fumoto valves for easy, clean draining of engine oil? How are you handling break-in for 10k as recommended on the GS350? Any other GS oil changing tips? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-13, 09:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by williakz
Do you have an opinion on the Fumoto valves for easy, clean draining of engine oil? How are you handling break-in for 10k as recommended on the GS350? Any other GS oil changing tips? Thanks in advance.
I've used Fumoto valves for over 15 years on many vehicles.I have one on the wife's CR-V right now.I think the valve is a great item.I get the one without the nipple.
My GS is leased and I may buy it at lease end so I'm going to take care of it like it was mine for at least two years.Then I'll know if I'm going to buy it or not.Things changed and I'm not putting the miles I thought I would.
That said,I'm going to have the dealer do the freebie change at one year which will be at around 5k-6K miles.Then I'll do changes myself.Then I'll get the Fumoto.It does make the change easier.I usually buy Toyota/Lexus vehicles and I never bother taking the F-103 valve that fits all Lexus/Toyota 1988 and up.I guess I'm too lazy.
I wish the 3.5L had a spin on filter,though.I hate the friggen cannister.
If I were you and you do the 10-12K+ a year and keep a car long,I'd do a change at 5K and every 7500 after.
Old 04-01-13, 09:36 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

I wish the 3.5L had a spin on filter,though.I hate the friggen cannister. If I were you and you do the 10-12K+ a year and keep a car long,I'd do a change at 5K and every 7500 after.
Two F-103 valves are en route to me - one for GS450h and one for LS460 (already had my freebie oil change on it!)

I'm sure I'll grow to despise the canister as well. To begin with, I intend to use the little plastic gizmo and a drain tube before taking off the canister to change the element and O-rings. Along with a proper filter wrench, things SHOULD be manageable. I agree completely on the change cycle and yours is just what I intended to do myself. I'm still trying to come up with a suitable documentation regime that will dissuade Lexus from even thinking of challenging my maintenance should something really bad happen in the future. Which reminds me, did I see something where you can input non-dealer maintenance items into the "official" vehicle service record accessible via the MyLexus site?

Last edited by williakz; 04-01-13 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-01-13, 09:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure I'll grow to despise the canister as well. To begin with, I intend to use the little plastic gizmo and a drain tube before taking off the canister to change the element and O-rings. Along with a proper filter wrench, things SHOULD be manageable. I agree completely on the change cycle and yours is just what I intended to do myself. I'm still trying to come up with a suitable documentation regime that will dissuade Lexus from even thinking of challenging my maintenance should something really bad happen in the future. Which reminds me, did I see something where you can input non-dealer maintenance items into the "official" vehicle service record accessible via the MyLexus site?

I never use the drain on the canister.I just loosen the assembly.From what I've read and hear,most mechanics don't either.
Yes,it's a bit messier but faster to do.
As far as documentation added on my Lexus,I don't know,just keep your oil and filter receipts.I use Toyota filters and Toyota 0w20 oil not because of any warranty issue.Both are good products according to those on the www.bobistheoilguy.com forum..
I'm aware and have my GS on the Lexus drivers
(my Lexus)site but it's not a big deal to me not having every ripoff Lexus service there.I trade in anyway.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-01-13 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-01-13, 09:55 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Yes,it's a bit messier but faster to do. ...As far as documentation,just keep your oil and filter receipts.I use Toyota filters and Toyota 0w20 oil not because of any warranty issue.
I've got plenty of time; I'll shoot for not spilling a drop (AFTER Fumotos are installed!) I was thinking of creating a computer "work order" with spaces for date, mileage, service performed, etc. Then I print a copy, fill it out, sign it, and attach receipts for the materials used. Put in the service file and I should be all set for any future problems. The idea is NOT to have iron-clad proof, but to have a "good enough" system to convince Lexus not to screw with me in case things go bad. I have a case of the Toyota filters and have laid in a stock of Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 (its around $2/quart after rebate til 5/31/13). Thanks for your help.

P.S. That rack sure looks like it equals a LOT of car work!
Old 04-01-13, 09:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I've got plenty of time; I'll shoot for not spilling a drop (AFTER Fumotos are installed!) I was thinking of creating a computer "work order" with spaces for date, mileage, service performed, etc. Then I print a copy, fill it out, sign it, and attach receipts for the materials used. Put in the service file and I should be all set for any future problems. The idea is NOT to have iron-clad proof, but to have a "good enough" system to convince Lexus not to screw with me in case things go bad. I have a case of the Toyota filters and have laid in a stock of Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 (its around $2/quart after rebate til 5/31/13). Thanks for your help.

P.S. That rack sure looks like it equals a LOT of car work!
Sounds like a plan.

Yeah,I'm a clean car nut.There's actually another shelf of detailing stuff.
I also use Toyota 0w20 on the CR-V.I buy it by the case on Ebay.
The red bottle Toyota 0w20 is made by Nippon Japan.The black Toyota 0w20 bottles,Exxon/Mobil.
Old 04-01-13, 10:24 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a Fomoto oil drain valve years ago. Its brass cracked and lead to an oil leak. Depending on the oil pan's configuration, you can end up with the valve hanging quite low to the ground.
Old 04-01-13, 10:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Outrage
I used a Fomoto oil drain valve years ago. Its brass cracked and lead to an oil leak. Depending on the oil pan's configuration, you can end up with the valve hanging quite low to the ground.

True,you must make sure the Fumoto valve isn't sticking out lower than the pan.
Old 04-01-13, 10:27 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Outrage
On a Lexus?

Quick Reply: Why is 15k service so expensive for 2013 GS350?