GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Database: Lowered with Aftermarket Wheels/Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 09:51 PM
Nygmatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikec78
Finished the photo shoot today (I am not a professional photographer though I did my best) - this will just give more people ideas of what to do or not to do

** RSR Down Springs **
** 20" NewGen Wheels (3-piece) - GRIP **
NewGen Wheels is an up an coming wheel design company local to SoCal and their wheels (NewGen Lite) are pictured in the new Tranformers 4 movie on Bumblebee:
http://tinyurl.com/NewGen-Transformers

TIRES = Michelin Super Sport K1 (front) = 235/35R20
TIRES = Michelin Super Sport (rear) = 285/30R20

20x9 +32 = (fronts)
20x10.5 +45 = (rear)

COLOR:
Centers = Evo grey
Outer Lip = Gloss Black
Inner Barrel = Matte Black
** Hidden valve stems behind spoke with original TPMS in back of wheel **

ALL powder coating was done by "No Limit Powder Coating" in Ventura, CA - Steve the owner does quality work at a great price!

For some reason I couldn't get the color right...I think it was because of a filter I used when I took the picture (but you get the idea just for the look)

I know this is an old thread, was wondering if you had to shave or roll the rear fenders to fit the 285 / 30 tire?
Old 03-14-21, 02:00 PM
Seatown206
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Bumping this thread...

So I picked up a new set of wheels recently and then didnt realize how much a stretch I could possibly have depending on the tire. Should of went with 10in wide rear. Anyways I have wheels on hand and here is where I'm at:

Car: 2019 GS-350 F-Sport (no rear steering)
Suspension: RSR Best-I Active coilovers (AVS compatible), Not installed yet but known to be a little soft for coilovers but only planning on being about 1 finger gap from tire to fender gap. Since its not installed I can adjust height to work in my favor. Also have rear camber arms but would like to keep rear camber near factory specs
Wheels: Vossen HF-3, 20x9 +32 Fronts, 20x10.5 +45 Rears

With the above setup, I'm planning on 245/35 tires in the fronts, and then possibly aiming for 285/30's in the rear to avoid a massive stretch with 275's. There's a bunch of conflicting information about going with 275 and 285 and the general consensus is 275 is the safest but with the most stretch and some people saying 285 fits and either barely rubs or doesn't rub at all. As for the fronts people have stuck with 245's and some say there's rubbing and some say no. So right now I'm pretty torn on which tires sizes to do. I like to avoid a bunch of stretch but since the wheels are already in hand ill have to make do with what I have. what do you guys suggest? As for tires I'm going with Continental Extreme Contact Sport DW tires, I know sometimes tire manufactures vary slightly in size even though tire size is the same. Also i would like to avoid major fender modifications as well.

Last edited by Seatown206; 03-14-21 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-14-21, 04:16 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My last set of 285 Michelin Pilot Sports on my 10 in wheels rubbed a tiny bit on the rear. Previous sets have never rubbed. It only happened when going slow on one bumpy intersection. My alignment is also within factory spec with rear camber arms installed.

Since I have a 48 offset vs your 45, you have a higher chance of rubbing in my opinion. But then you also do not have rear active steer. I fixed my rubbing by slightly rolling the inner fender at the contact point and only on the one side of the car that rubbed.

Up to you if you if you want to roll the dice. If you do, your back up plan will be to roll inner fender slightly or adjust camber accordingly. Given these choices, I'd roll the inner fender a little if needed. It was very easy to do myself with a fender roller. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-15-21, 01:13 AM
Seatown206
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikec78
Finished the photo shoot today (I am not a professional photographer though I did my best) - this will just give more people ideas of what to do or not to do

** RSR Down Springs **
** 20" NewGen Wheels (3-piece) - GRIP **
NewGen Wheels is an up an coming wheel design company local to SoCal and their wheels (NewGen Lite) are pictured in the new Tranformers 4 movie on Bumblebee:
http://tinyurl.com/NewGen-Transformers

TIRES = Michelin Super Sport K1 (front) = 235/35R20
TIRES = Michelin Super Sport (rear) = 285/30R20

20x9 +32 = (fronts)
20x10.5 +45 = (rear)

COLOR:
Centers = Evo grey
Outer Lip = Gloss Black
Inner Barrel = Matte Black
** Hidden valve stems behind spoke with original TPMS in back of wheel **

ALL powder coating was done by "No Limit Powder Coating" in Ventura, CA - Steve the owner does quality work at a great price!

For some reason I couldn't get the color right...I think it was because of a filter I used when I took the picture (but you get the idea just for the look)

Originally Posted by terrycs
My last set of 285 Michelin Pilot Sports on my 10 in wheels rubbed a tiny bit on the rear. Previous sets have never rubbed. It only happened when going slow on one bumpy intersection. My alignment is also within factory spec with rear camber arms installed.

Since I have a 48 offset vs your 45, you have a higher chance of rubbing in my opinion. But then you also do not have rear active steer. I fixed my rubbing by slightly rolling the inner fender at the contact point and only on the one side of the car that rubbed.

Up to you if you if you want to roll the dice. If you do, your back up plan will be to roll inner fender slightly or adjust camber accordingly. Given these choices, I'd roll the inner fender a little if needed. It was very easy to do myself with a fender roller. Let us know how it goes.

The couple post above is kind of what I'm aiming for with him using a 285 tire on a 10.5in wide rear wheel and the ride height is roughly where I want to be, but he hasn't responded to whether there was any fender modification which is a bummer. I'm not looking to tuck the rear tire so I guess its a gamble to see if i'll rub with 285's
Old 03-15-21, 07:27 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Just remember that Michelins do run wider than most other tire manufacturers, so for example, a Continental 285 could be about .5" narrower than the comparable Michelins.
Old 04-11-21, 09:19 PM
Davido33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! I’m looking to go square on a 2015 gs350 fsport, can anyone tell me if I will experience any rubbing or figment issues running 20x9, offset at 35 with 245/35/20 all around with a slight drop, around half an inch or so? Also, trying to avoid the stretched tire look, will a 245 tire on 20x9 appear stretched at all? Thanks in advance for any advice/info!