GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Comparing Lexus to BMW and AUDI

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I don't see an issue with having an option.

I've got a grey headliner, don't think its nasty looking.
Old 04-07-13, 10:35 AM
tankton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^and that's the point. The Germans let you have the option, in the first place. The Japanese? They don't get the idea.
Old 04-07-13, 11:07 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I have no problem with options.

It's when some basic features become additional cost options that I begin to have problems.

The Germans are also masters of the additional-cost options. That's the downside of the "wonderful" flexibility that the Germans provide.
Old 04-07-13, 11:49 AM
CincyBrad
Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
I have no problem with options.

It's when some basic features become additional cost options that I begin to have problems.

The Germans are also masters of the additional-cost options. That's the downside of the "wonderful" flexibility that the Germans provide.
They are masters a charging for stuff that should be standard equipment, like HID headlights, push button start and other things. I looked at a E350 4Matic that was $59k and it still had a key, and halogen headlights. To get the upgrades you had to get the P2 package, which was another $4-5k. Pretty ridicilous that a car in that price range doesn't have the items as standard when cars that cost $25k less do.
Old 04-07-13, 12:40 PM
tankton
Driver School Candidate

^^ Honestly, HIDs are options on much cheaper cars, as well. Fact is, the Germans cost more since people are willing to pay more for them. I'd rather have options than none at all. Sure, It's great I get push button start as standard (as do many KIAs, now), it's not so great I cannot even option the car as well as a Hyundai Genesis - which, it should be noted, is much more powerful, faster, and cheaper than the GS. At any rate, that is what's holding me back from buying a GS. I don't care about being slower, I don't like not having even the option to get what I want. Many of these restricted options are available, or standard, on other Lexus cars overseas.
Old 04-07-13, 01:26 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Originally Posted by tankton
^^ Honestly, HIDs are options on much cheaper cars, as well. Fact is, the Germans cost more since people are willing to pay more for them. I'd rather have options than none at all. Sure, It's great I get push button start as standard (as do many KIAs, now), it's not so great I cannot even option the car as well as a Hyundai Genesis - which, it should be noted, is much more powerful, faster, and cheaper than the GS. At any rate, that is what's holding me back from buying a GS. I don't care about being slower, I don't like not having even the option to get what I want. Many of these restricted options are available, or standard, on other Lexus cars overseas.
How cheap are you talking? There are cars in the $35-$40k range and they are standard.

German brands should be embarrassed asking $60k for a car without those things as standard equiptment. Oh, and ironically, the same E had MB Tex in it. $60k for a car with fake leather seats and lighting technology from 30 years ago, I'll pass.
Old 04-07-13, 01:50 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, the only options we can't get here in the states are the F-Sport foglights, power trunk and mirrors, Lexus visors, Lexus mud guards and the Lexus LED foglights. I can't really think of anything else? Personally, I miss my power trunk and mirrors, but that did not stop me from buying this car.
Old 04-07-13, 07:48 PM
LexFather

I do wish a black headliner was more of an option instead on F-sports only. I always hated the grey headliners with my black interiors.
Old 04-07-13, 09:27 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go buy yourself a hyundai genesis then my friend. I guarantee if you test drive the GS and genesis back to back you will fully understand why the latter is cheaper. The suspension on that car is garbage even thre r spec handles like absolute crap compared to the GS and dont even get me started on the interiors. I am also thankful that the japs keep their cars as optioned "packages" becuase it keeps the cost of making the cars lower and thus we get a better product for less money. The GS is the best car in its class right now and im saying this as someone who has had the second and third generation GS and i was preparing to go German this time around and test drove an A6 and 5 series then came back to the Lexus dealership and test drove the GS f sport and it won me over hands down

P.S. The hyundai genesis 3.8 with 333hp is NOT faster then a GS genius.

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 04-07-13 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-07-13, 10:20 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I don't see an issue with having an option.

I've got a grey headliner, don't think its nasty looking.
it's not, you have the luxury package, it works.

but if you get an s-line or 's' vehicle audi, gray shouldn't be an option, it stands out like a sore thumb in that interior.
Old 04-08-13, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
it's not, you have the luxury package, it works.

but if you get an s-line or 's' vehicle audi, gray shouldn't be an option, it stands out like a sore thumb in that interior.
Thats why you have the option of a black headliner in those vehicles.

Why should it not be an option just because you don't like it?
Old 04-08-13, 07:36 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Most modern vehicles use lighter-colored headliner and pillar trim. It creates a less distracting view and a feeling of interior spaciousness. Black trim creates a "cage" feeling. That's why it's typically limited to "performance" vehicles.