GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Wind noise w/window closed

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 07:59 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My coworker's 2010 RX has the single pane glass side windows,my 2012 RX has the double pane side windows. My RX is markedly quieter than his. I have virtually no wind noise from the glass.

The 2010 RX's are getting retro fitted for the double paned windows if brought to the attention of the Dealers service department.
Old 04-12-13, 01:44 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
I just picked up my car and both windows were changed to dbl pave window , I did notice a a change, but I will know more tomorrow when I am heading to work, thats were I hear the noise the most, so I will keep u guys posted.
how is the wind noise w the new windows? is it noticeably less?
Old 04-12-13, 03:12 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
how is the wind noise w the new windows? is it noticeably less?
its much better, but I didnot drive it much , but by tomorrow i will defiantly post it with the pics also.
Old 04-15-13, 06:19 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have base AWD GS350 and it has double-paned glass (cold weather). I have not noticed wind noise from the driver side. After reading these "wind noise" posts, I was driving on the highway (50mph+) and with everything off can hear wind whistling but not constant noise...Is this normal? I did have my windshield replaced with OEM double-panned windshield tho.
Old 04-15-13, 08:01 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kh4nh
I have base AWD GS350 and it has double-paned glass (cold weather). I have not noticed wind noise from the driver side. After reading these "wind noise" posts, I was driving on the highway (50mph+) and with everything off can hear wind whistling but not constant noise...Is this normal? I did have my windshield replaced with OEM double-panned windshield tho.
thats is the thing, u can here that noise, but the window is not a fix for it, I think its the weatherstrips around the door is not sealing good, I am gonna do another test on it on Wednesday, see if that noise will go away,
Old 04-15-13, 10:49 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats is the thing, u can here that noise, but the window is not a fix for it, I think its the weatherstrips around the door is not sealing good, I am gonna do another test on it on Wednesday, see if that noise will go away,
yup, it's the weather seal around the door that's making noise, the dual pane is just so its not as noticeable from inside, but the noise is still there.
Old 04-22-13, 01:01 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrote previously that I noticed this because after car wash the noise is reduced for about 10-15 minutes until the wind drys it out. This is because the water elvates friction between dorr stripping and body. I asked my dealer about it and they dont have any solution for this yet. I am waiting for next year modell and hoping they will revise the stripping.
I am reading heavly about three solutions right now:
1- applying a cemical, non corrosion to both paint and palstics, that elevates friction between stripping and body frame
2- applying som kind of extension mass on the stripping thus making its profile higher, tighter.
3- find a sceondery strip and apply it beside the actuall stripping,

I would appreciate any advice if you know of such products: -)

Last edited by Neogenic; 04-22-13 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Correction,
Old 07-02-13, 04:23 AM
JT51
Driver

My dealer also suggested double pane window. Just came back from a road trip, went thru a very hard rain, you could see the tunnel effect between the side mirrors and the window with the rain, it blew the water down the entire glass along the seal, buffeting against the window.

The dealer is going to replace the glass with double pane and replace my tint.
Old 07-03-13, 01:37 AM
GS250
Driver

i was searching and found this 3M product. however, i believe it is difficult to apply to the GS as it already come weatherstrips.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466
Old 07-03-13, 01:40 AM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by Neogenic
I wrote previously that I noticed this because after car wash the noise is reduced for about 10-15 minutes until the wind drys it out. This is because the water elvates friction between dorr stripping and body. I asked my dealer about it and they dont have any solution for this yet. I am waiting for next year modell and hoping they will revise the stripping.
I am reading heavly about three solutions right now:
1- applying a cemical, non corrosion to both paint and palstics, that elevates friction between stripping and body frame
2- applying som kind of extension mass on the stripping thus making its profile higher, tighter.
3- find a sceondery strip and apply it beside the actuall stripping,

I would appreciate any advice if you know of such products: -)
check this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466
Old 07-03-13, 12:25 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS250
I already tried it, and it becomes to thick so the door does not close very good, I have purchased a thiner material I am gonna try that , but the noise is not from the window, its from the weatherstripping.
Old 08-01-13, 09:06 AM
kdsr123
Pole Position

Lexus finally replaced my windows to double pane, very quiet, very happy.
Old 08-01-13, 11:42 AM
Neogenic
Driver

I have bought five kinds of sillicon glue to extend the profile hight. Two of them didnt adhere very well. will try the rest soon. Today I made the 15tkm check up and got a loaner GS 250, it had the same issue, and I do have the winter windows set up. I am reading about noisemeters, and will order one soon, (cost about 3500-4000$). I am thinking it will serve me well in future purchases,
Old 08-01-13, 12:01 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Neogenic
I have bought five kinds of sillicon glue to extend the profile hight. Two of them didnt adhere very well. will try the rest soon. Today I made the 15tkm check up and got a loaner GS 250, it had the same issue, and I do have the winter windows set up. I am reading about noisemeters, and will order one soon, (cost about 3500-4000$). I am thinking it will serve me well in future purchases,
You'll use the test equipment before you buy a car? Sure would be an expensive investment if you don't need to use it very much. Maybe you can lease your services to other's who need to know the sound level within their cars as well.
Old 08-01-13, 02:47 PM
JT51
Driver

Originally Posted by sam430
Darn it... I do hear wind noise in my car too but I spent mucho dinero on the tint already.
They replaced my windows and the tint.

Quick Reply: Wind noise w/window closed