GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Wind noise w/window closed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 11:21 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
You'll use the test equipment before you buy a car? Sure would be an expensive investment if you don't need to use it very much. Maybe you can lease your services to other's who need to know the sound level within their cars as well.
It would be my pleasure, but I do live in Sweden:-) I will post my results, and two car cams has arrived already,

Edit spelling,
Old 08-02-13, 04:49 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neogenic
I have bought five kinds of sillicon glue to extend the profile hight. Two of them didnt adhere very well. will try the rest soon. Today I made the 15tkm check up and got a loaner GS 250, it had the same issue, and I do have the winter windows set up. I am reading about noisemeters, and will order one soon, (cost about 3500-4000$). I am thinking it will serve me well in future purchases,
every GS i've been in and you've been in has the wind noise, yet some members claim their car i quiet lol.
Old 08-03-13, 12:15 AM
Neogenic
Driver

I know and I think my reasoning about the cause is still accurate,
Old 08-03-13, 03:26 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JT51
They replaced my windows and the tint.
Which dealer did you go to?
Old 08-03-13, 04:13 AM
JT51
Driver

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Which dealer did you go to?
Lexus of Orlando
Old 08-03-13, 04:39 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
every GS i've been in and you've been in has the wind noise, yet some members claim their car i quiet lol.
Compared to other cars I've owned and driven, this car is very quiet. IMO, there is no such thing as a totally quiet car. On the road, it's a machine in motion, wind noise will come through to some extent as well as the tires on certain road surfaces.

If one is expecting total silence.. good luck
/2 cents
Old 08-03-13, 05:04 AM
Neogenic
Driver

No, you are missing the point. We are not hunting silent cars. We are hunting class-leading silence. Its what Lexus market as such: comfort and silence.
Whats buthering me is that my old GS 300 was more quiet then my new one at 60mph. And the car wasnt hybrid as well. Is 2012 does not have this side effekt as well (I got it as loaner when preping my Gs winter package). The Is was more quiet until 60mph.
I havent tried the new Is 2013 yet. But maybe I better not,,,
Old 08-03-13, 05:22 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

I understand the point and DO see it as class-leading silence. Maybe I got lucky and got one without wind noise, I hear virtually no wind noise. I am VERY happy with cars' ride and noise level. Obviously others are not and I say, good luck.
Old 08-03-13, 06:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I understand the point and DO see it as class-leading silence. Maybe I got lucky and got one without wind noise, I hear virtually no wind noise. I am VERY happy with cars' ride and noise level. Obviously others are not and I say, good luck.
The only thing I really hear on the highway is some Dunlop tire road noise on certain road surfaces.A set of Michelin Primacy MXM4's will help with that.
Even at the tire noise level now,I'm happy with the GS ride and tire noise level but the Dunlops will probably get louder as they wear.
Old 08-03-13, 07:38 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The only thing I really hear on the highway is some Dunlop tire road noise on certain road surfaces.A set of Michelin Primacy MXM4's will help with that.
Even at the tire noise level now,I'm happy with the GS ride and tire noise level but the Dunlops will probably get louder as they wear.
Same but the noise is subdued a lot. I compared the noise to the '12 TL I had which was quieter then the '08 TL I had before that.

I hear noise on the concrete roads they are fond of making here but not too bad. I know others are more sensitive to noise than I, but I don't expect silence... I am happy with close YMMV
Old 08-07-13, 07:04 PM
GS250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

perhaps the internal is so quiet that any minute noise will be very obvious. mine have a little wind noise at above 90km/h. did some lubrication to the weather strip last week and it did improve a little.
Old 08-12-13, 01:31 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Originally Posted by GS250
perhaps the internal is so quiet that any minute noise will be very obvious. mine have a little wind noise at above 90km/h. did some lubrication to the weather strip last week and it did improve a little.
Tried that, and it made a noticable delay for the noise for only about +5km/h (I hear it already att 55 km/h).
Old 08-12-13, 01:33 AM
Neogenic
Driver

I dont believe in Luck because we are talking about Lexus and lexus is not one luck based product. It is a high precission engineering,
Old 08-15-13, 05:34 AM
Mkalali
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im getting very noticeable wind noise when around 100 km/h and quite loud noise when around 140+ km/h.. I find it very disturbing, and like a few of you mentioned im not looking for a dead silent car but I would expect better from Lexus and a car in this price range.
Im going to mention this to my dealer on my next scheduled service, and will see what they say and if there is an actual issue or if this is considered normal on my car.
Old 08-15-13, 05:40 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Where is the wind noise coming from? The only time I hear much noise is when being passed (or passing) anyone on my drivers side. The sound seems to come from the back window area.

Quick Reply: Wind noise w/window closed