GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

just switched over from bmw

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 08:25 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm completely confused with this whole thread. Glad you're happy and it sounds like you have a good dealer in your area. I've shopped BMW's 4 times and each time the sales staff have run me off with their poor sales skills, the programs on the cars not very lucrative, or I sit in the cars and find the interior too simple for my tastes.

I think the M cars have a nice styling inside and for the last 10 years I've been on nothing but german. But my GS with Rear wheel steer outhandles any german car I've ever driven and when the GS F comes (hoping here), then the M cars and S cars will have a definite challenger.

It's good everyone has different tastes, cause then I wouldn't want everyone on the road driving the same exact car. How boring would that be?!
Old 08-26-13, 08:33 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I've owned 4 BMW's (a 330i, two X5 4.8is's and my current 535i) and I can honestly say I do not think they are worth the hype (or price tag for that matter). I experienced minimal problems with any of them EXCEPT the 535. This car has had both turbos, waste gate, water pump, radiator, ignition sending unit, weatherstripping around the back window and sunroof and AC blower motor replaced all before reaching 65K miles. Most of these issues started around the 49K mile mark and one month after my 4 yr maintaince plan was up. Oh, I less I forget my welded front sway bar bracket breaking off...still trying to figure out how that happened. Needless to say, I am happy I bought the extended warranty (7yr 100K miles) for her or else I would be up *****'s creek.

I have owned a Lexus SC300 with a Supra 2J/6spd swap and a MKIV Supra TT 6 speed hardtop and literally beat the hell out of both of them driving/drifting and have had ZERO issues (with the exception of a power steering hose in the SC). I bought the beemer as my daily office grinder. I don't driver her anywhere near as hard as I do the lexus or the supra and she's the least reliable of the group. The quality and longevity behind the workmanship of a Lexus/Toyota, in my opinion, will never be able to be duplicated by BMW. Despite the low to no issues with my previous beemers, I have to say this 535 has more than made up for the others. I am looking at getting into a '13 GS350 now and I have no intentions of ever going back Euro again.

Congrats on your purchase. I doubt you will go back to BMW once you realize the power potential you can get out of what you have now with a few ad-ons and a tune.
Old 08-26-13, 08:39 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
I'm completely confused with this whole thread. Glad you're happy and it sounds like you have a good dealer in your area. I've shopped BMW's 4 times and each time the sales staff have run me off with their poor sales skills, the programs on the cars not very lucrative, or I sit in the cars and find the interior too simple for my tastes.

I think the M cars have a nice styling inside and for the last 10 years I've been on nothing but german. But my GS with Rear wheel steer outhandles any german car I've ever driven and when the GS F comes (hoping here), then the M cars and S cars will have a definite challenger.

It's good everyone has different tastes, cause then I wouldn't want everyone on the road driving the same exact car. How boring would that be?!
EXACTLY...boring as hell! And i'm hoping for a GS-F too........................................................................................................still waiting ...............................lol......
Old 08-26-13, 10:10 AM
omaralt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77

honestly i have never meet a salesperson who knows more than the basic info about a car. i do all my research online and then make the deal over the phone/email before i leave my house. this deal was done before i left, i was in the dealer for about 20 mins max. i make it clear i'm not interested in any add ons. in and out quickly.

bmw actually has really good leasing programs. most importantly is the multiple security deposit program. you pay 7 times your payment rounded up to the next $50 (ie my payment with tax was $819, so $850 x 7) and it decreases your money factor by .00049. makes about a $50/month payment decrease. you get that entire amount back at the end of the lease. where else can you lease a $75K car with 15k/yr with nothing down for $750 + tax?

Originally Posted by Mr. Klean
I've owned 4 BMW's (a 330i, two X5 4.8is's and my current 535i) and I can honestly say I do not think they are worth the hype (or price tag for that matter). I experienced minimal problems with any of them EXCEPT the 535. This car has had both turbos, waste gate, water pump, radiator, ignition sending unit, weatherstripping around the back window and sunroof and AC blower motor replaced all before reaching 65K miles. Most of these issues started around the 49K mile mark and one month after my 4 yr maintaince plan was up. Oh, I less I forget my welded front sway bar bracket breaking off...still trying to figure out how that happened. Needless to say, I am happy I bought the extended warranty (7yr 100K miles) for her or else I would be up *****'s creek.

I have owned a Lexus SC300 with a Supra 2J/6spd swap and a MKIV Supra TT 6 speed hardtop and literally beat the hell out of both of them driving/drifting and have had ZERO issues (with the exception of a power steering hose in the SC). I bought the beemer as my daily office grinder. I don't driver her anywhere near as hard as I do the lexus or the supra and she's the least reliable of the group. The quality and longevity behind the workmanship of a Lexus/Toyota, in my opinion, will never be able to be duplicated by BMW. Despite the low to no issues with my previous beemers, I have to say this 535 has more than made up for the others. I am looking at getting into a '13 GS350 now and I have no intentions of ever going back Euro again.

Congrats on your purchase. I doubt you will go back to BMW once you realize the power potential you can get out of what you have now with a few ad-ons and a tune.
this is actually my third 5 series and i dont think i'll leave again. i test drove the mercedes e sedan and coupe and was astonished and how low rent the interior seemed. they also lease horribly, a $65K coupe was more expensive than my $75K BMW. lexus was nice, but honestly the GS didnt really excite me. that plus i wanted something more powerful with more low end grunt. maybe when the GS-F is released i'll re-consider.
Old 08-26-13, 10:42 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Mercedes will always be more to lease due to their horrendous resale value. BMW has crappy resale value as well but Mercedes is even worse.

In the end, you like what you like. I love BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Lexus but for different reasons. For now the GS is the best fit for me.
Old 08-26-13, 10:48 AM
mcfine
Driver School Candidate

BMW make very nice vehicles. I was quite fond of my 2011 535i. The overhype comes from people thinking that all BMWs are the claimed ultimate driving machines. If you want to get a BMW that wants to live up to that title you need to pony up the cash for the top of the line vehicles. While I loved the engine on my 535i I was pretty unimpressed with the handling. Was pleasantly surprised at how much better the F-Sport handled. Plus the dealer in my area always treated me like they were doing me a favor by letting me drive their car.

Comparably equipped you save almost 10k on the GS350 F-Sport and Lexus service is far superior in my experience.
Old 08-26-13, 12:59 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I think the OP made the mistake of not getting the F-Sport with the rear steering if he wanted to get the most exciting GS trim.

Notice both his latest 5 series, the 535i he left and the 550i he went back to were the M-Sports. Yet the GS he got was the Luxury. It's almost as if subconsciously, he set himself up to be disappointed in the excitement factor.

IMO, this wasn't an apples to apples comparison since I myself feel that the F-Sport interior and exterior really ups the excitement beyond the 5 series M-Sport. One thing I'll give to BMW is that their M-Sport package for the 5 series looks really sharp and only the F-Sport matches/exceeds them slightly them in cosmetic excitement. Handling of course, no question, F-Sport trashes the M-Sport.
Old 08-26-13, 01:03 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Handling wasn't what the OP wanted. He's more concerned with HP. Which I can understand. Brag about handling all you want but most roads in the states are straight. People just want some raw acceleration mostly.
Old 08-26-13, 03:19 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also a BMW fan and I owned the 2011 BMW 5 but that is my last bmw for 10 years or more. BMW is hyped up and no longer handles or drives well. Its all cost cutting and poor production qualities. Too much problems. Too boring of a drive. Even the msport package didnt outhandle the F-sport on my test drive. I will stick with the GS F-Sport and go for the GS-F instead of any upcoming 5 series because BMW doesnt care about their customers and wants profit revenues and more sales and for what?? They cant even keep up with the supply of parts needed for BMWs with problems.... I see a new BMW 5 and I just snooze. Its too bland and not exciting like the older ones. Enjoy it though. At the end its what you like not others.
Old 08-26-13, 08:51 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't even realize he didn't get the F Sport. Big difference in styling and handling. More power is always nice, but so are infrequent service visits and I like the more muscular and angular lines with the F package. Other cars like BMW, Audi, MB, and even infinity are so focused on rounded oval shapes that I prefer something different. I notice a lot more rubber necking in my GS F than any other brand has ever given me.
Old 08-27-13, 07:17 AM
LexFather

BMW offers the extra grunt, the V-8 tt is a beast and its now updated to almost 450hp WITHOUT a tune. As EVO stated the M5 and 550 sport no longer have that "distance" between each other. The O.P also hits the nail on the head with leasing, M5 leases are horrid but the 550 is pretty amazing. Both cars look fantastic to me inside and out.

Great pick up!
Old 08-27-13, 07:19 AM
omaralt
Rookie

Originally Posted by natnut
I think the OP made the mistake of not getting the F-Sport with the rear steering if he wanted to get the most exciting GS trim.

Notice both his latest 5 series, the 535i he left and the 550i he went back to were the M-Sports. Yet the GS he got was the Luxury. It's almost as if subconsciously, he set himself up to be disappointed in the excitement factor.

IMO, this wasn't an apples to apples comparison since I myself feel that the F-Sport interior and exterior really ups the excitement beyond the 5 series M-Sport. One thing I'll give to BMW is that their M-Sport package for the 5 series looks really sharp and only the F-Sport matches/exceeds them slightly them in cosmetic excitement. Handling of course, no question, F-Sport trashes the M-Sport.
i was initially going for the F sport. but didnt because the exterior styling (front end) did not appeal to me, it didnt seem to flow with the rest of the car. but more importantly because you got a lot more with the luxury package (better leather, fog lights, adaptive headlights, etc) for the same price. the F sport added nothing to performance other than bigger brakes and tires. RWS was not available on any of the cars on the lot and would have to be ordered and take a few months

it wasnt just HP i was missing, it was torque.
Old 08-27-13, 07:20 AM
omaralt
Rookie

Originally Posted by natnut

Originally Posted by Blueprint
BMW offers the extra grunt, the V-8 tt is a beast and its now updated to almost 450hp WITHOUT a tune. As EVO stated the M5 and 550 sport no longer have that "distance" between each other. The O.P also hits the nail on the head with leasing, M5 leases are horrid but the 550 is pretty amazing. Both cars look fantastic to me inside and out.

Great pick up!
thanks, loving the car so far!
Old 08-28-13, 11:45 AM
pinipig523
Rookie

Originally Posted by omaralt
payoff was $46,200. they were offering $40K. i could have maybe pushed them to $41
Originally Posted by omaralt
hey guys, let me preface this by saying i had no problems with my 2012 BMW 535i Msport. after speaking to my accountant (wife ) we've comfortably set a budge of ~$1,000/month in car payments for me. well, i'm looking into getting into something quite a bit more in 2-3 years (thinking M5 or M6) with a considerably higher lease payment; so in order to reach that goal i needed to reduce my current payment ($927/month financed, not leased). my problem was my BMW; i still owed $48,239 on it. i went to a few dealerships (honda, infiniti, mercedes) to see what kind of trade in value to expect and nobody was above $44K (low of $41K at honda). i saw the lease special on the luxury package GS350 and went down to lexus. after less than one hour we had reached a deal:

1- $47,500 for my car (only $700 negative equity; huge win for me!)
2- 24 month lease on luxury package GS 350 (MSRP was $59K because it was tinted and had trunk mat or something)
3- drive off was $3,500 (about $2700 in fees and then my negative equity)
4- $578 including 7% tax and 15K miles/yr

i didnt want to fight them too much on the fees since they gave me private party good condition KBB value on my car. and most importantly for the next two years my total car payments will be ($578 x 24 + $3500 drive off = $17K instead of $23K. the salesman also told me that at lease end i may have some positive equity so it may make sense to trade it in instead of turning it in.. who knows..

now to the important part. the funny thing is i really dont feel like i compromised on the car. i was ready to compromise for the next two years (even considered accord!). i gained some things (BSM, ventilated seats, window shades). i think my BMW looked better on the exterior (especially with teh M sport) but i do like the interior of the GS a little more. its honestly about a wash for me. the one thing i did notice right away was the throttle response. no lag. very smooth. i am anticipating a drop in MPG, but shouldnt be significant. enough talk, here are some pics:

http://img10.imageshack.us/slideshow...=photo1viz.jpg
So in an effort to save money, you ended up losing money in the process. Should've just gone straight to the 550 from the 535.
Old 08-29-13, 06:03 AM
omaralt
Rookie

Originally Posted by pinipig523
So in an effort to save money, you ended up losing money in the process. Should've just gone straight to the 550 from the 535.
maybe, but not really. i could have never scored a deal as good i got on my 550i back in april. i also really wanted to try out the GS350, so i'm happy

after a few days with the BMW i'm really starting to appreciate the small things. power mirrors. power trunk; it's nice that it can close with a touch of a button, but honestly the biggest thing is that it pops open all the way when you push the button on the FOB (or wave your foot under the back bumper). i hated how the lexus trunk would just pop open but stay down. very annoying when your coming to the car with your hands full.

i also now have not one, but two digital clocks!! lol

Quick Reply: just switched over from bmw